The Pope resigns / New Pope discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of a dozen inmates at a juvenile detention center"

Will wash someone's feet, but won't protect someone from getting AIDS. Makes sense

He washed the feet of everyday people - not priests as it is tradition. He also washed the feet of a couple of young women. Females were never part of this.

So it is something. Yeah, a lot of work needs to be done, and washing and kissing the feet of youths sounds creepy to some. A step forward and then a step back, perhaps?

:|

I didn't really mean that the Pope is pedophile. I was just addressing how some may see this.

If anyone sees that as anything below a very symbolic religious gesture then they're the ones with the screwed up minds. Just my opinion.

this church is always going to have a pope

and as that goes, this man seems to be about the best person I have seen in that position that I can recall

bottom line, if nothing else, just the example he sets puts him way above the others.

If anyone sees that as anything below a very symbolic religious gesture then they're the ones with the screwed up minds. Just my opinion.

That's OK, I have nothing against you having an opinion. But I'd like it if you were a little more clear in your posts.

The fact that kissing juvenile feet can be seen as creepy is the fault of the catholic church and no one else. Nobody is implying that it's sexual, but in light of not so distant events, you better believe the comments are going to fly (as they should)

That's OK, I have nothing against you having an opinion. But I'd like it if you were a little more clear in your posts.

I thought it was pretty clear that the washing of feet is a symbol of the Christian religion. The idea that it is anything less than that is people trying to see controversy involving children where there is none. In fact, he probably washed the feet of children because of what all happened, where in are you confused with my post?

The fact that kissing juvenile feet can be seen as creepy is the fault of the catholic church and no one else. Nobody is implying that it's sexual, but in light of not so distant events, you better believe the comments are going to fly (as they should)

As in earlier in this thread, I hope you're not taking my post to have been written out of anger. I simply was stating that I find the idea that anyone would sexual this or take it as some sort of negative to be fairly ridiculous. At that point, it just seems like one is picking on every member of the Catholic church simply because they can.

As in earlier in this thread, I hope you're not taking my post to have been written out of anger. I simply was stating that I find the idea that anyone would sexual this or take it as some sort of negative to be fairly ridiculous. At that point, it just seems like one is picking on every member of the Catholic church simply because they can.

As an organization, the Catholic Church certainly has a lot of issues to deal with. I don't think anyone is seriously saying that this man has a young foot fetish, but of course the innuendo is going to come up. That said, there's a difference between criticizing the organization itself and criticizing practicing Catholics. I wouldn't take it personally :) (not that I think you are)

I just think there's a limit to when they're really legitimate feelings, that's all. But I think I've made my opinion clear on this on :).

bono_212 said:
I thought it was pretty clear that the washing of feet is a symbol of the Christian religion. The idea that it is anything less than that is people trying to see controversy involving children where there is none. In fact, he probably washed the feet of children because of what all happened, where in are you confused with my post?

I've never heard of washing feet to be the symbol of Christianity, or even Catholicism. I think crossing yourself or receiving communion would be.

I just felt your post was vague and wasn't so sure what it was directed to. Maybe I was vague in my post, hence confusion.

Also, washing the feet of youths sounds like a good symbol as you said.

Yes, I can blame people for thinking these thoughts. If you think people "can't be blamed" for having erroneous thoughts about subjects they clearly know nothing about, then why not absolve people of other erroneous thoughts?

So we should just forget that the Catholic Church has a rich history of molesting children? What other organization with such a shady past (and present!) would get a free pass? The fact that people are defending it and saying "ok, that's enough. Let's not talk about it anymore" speaks volumes.

I'm not sure where the "know nothing about" bit is coming from. I know what the tradition is about; it's referenced all the time. But apart from the fact that there is no comparison between thinking "Hey, that's probably a bit of a misguided thing to do your first month as pope given your church's history" and "I find children attractive" (silly comparison), seeing as how there are people with the latter thoughts who know it's wrong and actively seek help, I would argue that no, you can't blame them for having those thoughts. Thought Crime only exists in church and George Orwell novels

So we should just forget that the Catholic Church has a rich history of molesting children? What other organization with such a shady past (and present!) would get a free pass? The fact that people are defending it and saying "ok, that's enough. Let's not talk about it anymore" speaks volumes

Can you please quote me where I said anything even remotely like that?

Then I have no idea what you're talking about....

Maybe I addressed it in the edit on the previous post?

In short, all I'm saying is you can't blame people for having these thoughts

I can, actually. Washing of feet as a symbol of sanctification long precedes history of child molestation in the Catholic church, so I don't think the Pope should place himself in the shoes of those who are unaware of that. It's on them to inform themselves before passing judgment.

Err so yeah, what Martha said.

I can, actually. Washing of feet as a symbol of sanctification long precedes history of child molestation in the Catholic church, so I don't think the Pope should place himself in the shoes of those who are unaware of that. It's on them to inform themselves before passing judgment.

Err so yeah, what Martha said.

I am aware of that. It doesn't change the fact that kissing juvenile feet is going to be linked to molesting, even if in jest. Not my problem

It doesn't change the fact that kissing juvenile feet is going to be linked to molesting

Didn't even cross my mind, to be honest. Of course it was put into context for me, so it wasn't like the Pope was running around sucking on kids' toes or something. That would be news.

[QUOTE="]so it wasn't like the Pope was running around sucking on kids' toes or something. That would be news.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'd think nothing of that

I have pretty low opinions of the Catholic Church in general, but even I knew that washing a person's/child's feet is something that Jesus himself did, so .... yeah.

To be honest it didn't occur to me at all so I'm kind of with martha on this one.

I was raised Catholic and the washing/kissing of feet on Holy Thursday was something that we saw every year in our church. I haven't been to these services in years but it definitely didn't strike me as odd.

And as martha said, the inclusion of women for the first time ever (yes, in 2013, OMG) is huge.

Then perhaps one should pause before commenting on it.

I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday and religious classes (CCD) once a week. Washing feet was not a major gesture during my upbringing, so from my perspective, not too many would think of Catholicism over that. As I said earlier, blessing yourself or receiving communion would be that.

Back
Top Bottom