The NY-13th's Hilarious Congressional Race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
The 2008 Hot House Races

Rep. Vito Fossella (R) of Staten Island was stopped by a police officer for running a red light. Turns out he was drunk. Worse, yet, turns out he was on the way to visit his family in Virginia, a family that his wife and children in New York didn't know about. The tabloids went crazy: Vito Finito as they put it. This open seat in New York City will be very competitive. The Democrat is New York City councilman Mike McMahon. The Republicans were unable to find an established politician to run for the seat and settled on a rich businessman, Francis Powers, who could fund the race himself. Powers' estranged son, Francis Powers, Jr., tried to get on the Libertarian ticket to defeat his father, but failed. Then on June 22, Powers, Sr. died of a heart attack. Then the GOP picked former assemblyman Robert Straniere. The dean of Staten Island Republicans, Guy Molinari hates Straniere so much that he publicly said he would do everything he can to defeat him. Definitely not your standard garden-variety congressional race.

Then this week the NY republicans offered Straniere a judgeship to get him off the ballot, but he declined.

I live on Staten Island, and have been following this race closely. Straniere better not win. He doesn't live on the Island, has had problems with taxes, is not supported by the other Republicans, and many other things.

There's a chance McMahon might win. If he does, he'll be the first Democrat to win the seat in nearly 30 years.

Then this week the NY republicans offered Straniere a judgeship to get him off the ballot, but he declined.

Even better, I read that the NY Republicans wanted to appoint Straniere to the state supreme court so that they could run with Vito Fossella again. Anyway, as you said, Straniere declined, so he'll be on the ballot.
:giggle:

^^^ They are. Vito Fossella, along with his father and uncle, were the backbone of the Staten Island GOP. But because Fossella had his personal problems, they're not involved anymore.
There was another GOP candidate, named Jamshad (Jim) Wyne. He and Straniere used to get along, until the primary neared and the two started mudslinging. Wyne pointed out Straniere's controversies and Straniere said Wyne called himself Jim to hide the fact that he is a Pakistani Muslim. Wyne denied that, and considered the accusation to be racist.
When Wyne lost the primary - I think it was 42% to 58% - Wyne quit the Republican party and called everyone involved racist.
Here's a link:
Former candidate charges racism - SILive.com

I don't think racism was the main reason why Wyne lost the primary. I think it was because no one ever heard of him before. He was a doctor, not a politician. Also, not too many Islanders are aware of Straniere's problems.

Back
Top Bottom