the new poverty: $68K a year or less - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 PM
yeah, that got a special kind of rage from me.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
has a

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Don't forget about how expensive health care is in the U.S., too.
Illness = Bankruptcy here.

OMG, I hope the revolution comes soon. Class warfare has been going on for decades, and it's time for the lower class to fight back in the U.S.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Wow, my family's income is that, and I own my own home, have a car that is paid off, and support 2 kids. We travel a lot too. I guess it is all relative though. I live in Canada, so health care isn't an issue for me. As well, the cost of living in my town it low. We don't go without at all. I guess my money management skills come into play too.

I cannot believe the minimum wage is $15 in Australia. That is great! It is around $10 here I think.

As for taxes, we are taxed on EVERYTHING!!!!! I would love the sticker price on things to be what we pay. The taxes on our utilities make me stabby!! It is the taxes and fees on airfare that really sucks. Why can they not just list the full price????
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Probably a psychological marketing thing...you go oooh look that is so cheap...then you go pay for it and find out it cost's $10 more and due to social embarrassment you refuse to go "I can't really afford that".

The only things I can think of in the UK where tax is added after is the odd tech website.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

YouTube - Network - Mad as Hell Scene
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancoke71 View Post

As for taxes, we are taxed on EVERYTHING!!!!! I would love the sticker price on things to be what we pay. The taxes on our utilities make me stabby!! It is the taxes and fees on airfare that really sucks. Why can they not just list the full price????
so are we, but it's always included in the price. it sounds like false advertising to me
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Some of the comments after that article on Wonkette made me laugh out loud!

"Happy Friday! I'm dollars above poverty! Where my food stamps at? Can I use them to purchase boxes of wine? "

"The solution to this is obvious. Sell the damn kids into slavery. Or, better yet, harvest their organs one by one. There's cash in them there kidneys, folks. CHOP CHOP. "

"Wow, thanks Ken. Thought I might have to make it through the weekend without meds or liquor. No worries now! "

"Such whiners these Americans are -- the LORD gave you two kidneys for a reason, people! "

It is a sad and scary situation here in the US. But if nothing else we still have a sense of humor!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Don't forget about how expensive health care is in the U.S., too.
Illness = Bankruptcy here.

OMG, I hope the revolution comes soon. Class warfare has been going on for decades, and it's time for the lower class to fight back in the U.S.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Speaking of class warfare and health costs in the US...
Ok, I admit it. I am in debt up to my eyeballs because I have to pay out of pocket for my doctor visits even though I am fairly healthy and considered to be fortunate because I work for a fortune 500 company. I "supposedly" have GREAT benefits (and I do in some cases) but not when it comes to health insurance. Our health benefits changed a few years ago and now I have to pay a $1500. deductable before the insurance kicks in, so every doctor visit, blood test, ect...for check ups is out of my pocket. I got a lab bill ( I have to get blood work done to check my thyroid hormones periodically) and it cost me almost $1000.00!!. I am still paying for it. Plus, I go to a Naturalpath and insurance doesn't cover Np's. They are considered too radical because they don't play with the big drug companies and yet my NP does more for my health than any traditional doctor ever could because she treats the whole person; mind, body, spirit and doesn't throw drugs at me based on profit margins.

So even writing that I feel guilty for whining because I have a decent job at least and other benefits others would envy. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful everyday for my blessings but this country is so out of whack, the greed mantra of the Ceo's is just astonishing, including the CEO of my own company ( he is very well known) !! It just makes me sad and mad. Doesn't anyone have a conscience anymore? How do they sleep at night when so many are suffering? And they will never be punished because campaign finance reform will never come to pass. To me that is THE only issue. If big money got out of politicians pockets perhaps we'd have some real hope.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
It's $30,012, the $68K is for a two-parent home with two children.

The $30,012 doesn't sound that surprising to me. I don't know how you'd live on that around here in the first place. Maybe if you had 5 roommates and lived in the ghetto.
Manhattan salaries are artificially inflated by the FIRE economy, and more, recently, government bailout.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Too many other factors at play, namely, cost of living depending on locale. Phil and I live perfectly comfortably on around $68K. Own a nice (in my opinion) home, two vehicles (2004 and 1995). Most of my co-workers have 2+ kids and are in relatively the same boat. Phil and I carry more student debt than most of our peers and it is our largest monthly expense so if you pretended that didn't exist we could probably afford FIVE kids right now. Honestly I feel like if we needed more than $68K to maintain our current lifestyle, we'd be doing something wrong with managing money.

For us, the bigger issue (which the quoted part of the article mentions) is that we and most of our peers would be in the "a few paychecks away from disaster" group. If either of us lost our job, we'd be in deep shit. But, we make financial decisions with job security in mind. My employer laid off 6 people (their first layoffs...in their history I think) so we waited until that was over and Phil got his new contract before going ahead with buying the house.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
so are we, but it's always included in the price. it sounds like false advertising to me
I think the point in Canada is that they want you to be aware of the manufacturer's retail price, and the amount that's taxed. You go to the cash register knowing that the sticker price is the manufacturer's price plus retail markup, and that above that, at least in Ontario, you're paying another 13% in provincial and federal sales taxes that will be added on at the cash register. The thing is, we're used to it being this way, just as you're used to paying an all-in-one price. The only difference is that your taxes are hidden in the sticker price, ours aren't. It makes us very aware of the portion we pay to the government.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

$15 minimum wage in Australia? Holy hell. I've been working for seven years and have never made more than $10 an hour.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #29
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
it doesn't totally make up for it, but in america they have laws in place where you can't add surcharges if you use a credit card. when i bought my phone, i was shocked that i had to pay another 5% if i wanted to use a credit card. fuck that! in america, even the most expensive items are the same price no matter how you pay. granted like i said it doesn't make up for the tax thing, but yeah.

honestly though the taxes not being in the price never bothered me. sure it's annoying to have to stop and add in sales tax in my head but since i've done it all my life i'm used to it. though it is certainly nice to not have to do it anymore. alternatively, take a trip to one of the states that don't have sales tax (alaska, delaware, montana, oregon) on goods - though alaska and montana do have an optional sales tax cities can charge. but delaware and oregon are truly sales tax-free. plus a lot of states don't charge sales tax on what they consider to be essential goods. for example, some states don't charge sales tax at all on basic clothing item and groceries. that to me is a lot better than 15% gst on every fucking thing like it is here, since with a high sales tax/gst/vat/sat/act, poorer people end up paying a lot more in taxes than the wealthy.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 PM
at the moment, the australian dollar is almost equal to the us dollar.

europe and her colonies aren't so fucked now, are they?

i read an article the other day that the government in nz was elected partly on the platform of closing the income gap between us and australia. it's actually got worse since those wankers were elected. shit. i'm part of a small group who makes the least amount of money at the company i work at, and i honestly think that my income could easily pay for an apartment/a bit crap house, plus some expenses and bills, with a bit of disposable income remaining.

i love the usa, i've never felt more at home....but shit guys, stop bending over.