The most politically-insightful show in the history of US pop culture - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:05 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 05:46 AM
From the mouths of babes -- or just a really good male actor, Mark Sheppard. In the first few seconds he says what I've been saying about Battlestar Galactica for months:

Old 10-01-2007, 04:31 AM   #47
Babyface

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Mudfeld, have a look at this article, published in The Guardian (UK) a few months back: guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2112186,00.html

Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #48
Refugee

The miniseries that started off the new Batttlestar Galatica is reairing in Canada this Sunday at 9pm on Space. Here's the first few minutes:
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianL
Mudfeld, have a look at this article, published in The Guardian (UK) a few months back: guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2112186,00.html
Brilliant. Thanks! Although I think "Heroes" is the same old comic book notion of good versus evil with a rather childish sense of causality, I think "Lost" has some interesting aspects and is thoroughly enjoyable. Of course, the whole reason you posted that link and my favorite part was this:

"It's not every day that you hear a justification for suicide bombing on a American TV drama - and certainly not one as vigorous and heartfelt as this "I've sent men on suicide missions in two wars now, and let me tell yo something - it don't make a goddamn difference whether they're riding in a Vipe or walking out on to a parade ground. In the end, they're just as dead. So take you piety and your moralising and your high-minded principles and stick them som place safe ... I've got a war to fight.

The fact that the character talking is not some swivel-eyed terrorist but, in fact, a hero - or, at least, what passes for a hero in this TV show's murky, shades-of-grey universe - makes his speech more surprising still. In a further do-not-adjust-your-set moment, the show in question is Battlestar Galactica. Yes, that Battlestar Galactica.

Well, nearly. The reimagined BSG, as it is now known, is light-years away from its cheesy late-1970s incarnation starring Dirk Benedict, later of The A-Team, and Bonanza's Lorne Greene. The premise is the same - the last vestiges of humanity are being pursued by the sentient monotheistic robots that they created as labour-saving devices - but instead of cheese, there's grime, the harsh realities of living hand-to-mouth in space, and some of the sharpest, smartest writing on television. Gone is the comforting binary of "humanity good, robots bad", and in its place is a universe in which the good guys practise torture and recruit suicide bombers, while the bad guys are devoutly religious, embarking upon a genocidal war in the belief that they are cleansing the universe of corruption.

This is science fiction for the 21st century. What's more, it's sci-fi about the 21st century. Fans of the genre have long known that quality sci-fi and its sister genre fantasy hold up a mirror to the times in which they were created, but never before have the TV shows involved seemed so resonant or indeed so influential. Science fiction has never been more now, fantasy never more real."
Old 11-23-2007, 02:20 AM   #49
Refugee

Canada's Space and Sci Fi are airing the TV movie "Razor" at 9pm Eastern this Saturday Nov 24th, 2007. It's a chance to see what the show's like in a stand alone, and see if you'd be interested to rent or buy the rest of the series. Check it out, my babies! The Razor DVD will be on sale December 4th, 2007. Please buy it if you're a fan and want to see more because it's a clear market signal to the people that funded it in the first place!
Old 11-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #50
The Fly

Local Time: 10:46 AM
I remember my dad always talking about how Star Trek always had a really good social commentary, and was pretty progressive and all that. I wonder what it is about shows like this. If you can generalize from two shows...but I mean, it's just interesting.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 AM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AttnKleinkind
I remember my dad always talking about how Star Trek always had a really good social commentary, and was pretty progressive and all that. I wonder what it is about shows like this. If you can generalize from two shows...but I mean, it's just interesting.
It's actually much more insightful than that. It's more akin to films like "Letters from Iwo Jima", "Babel" or "Syriana" in trying to portray humanity realistically. Star Trek (except the amazing Deep Space Nine) was generally about ugly qualities in humanity projected onto alien races. Rarely was the crew itself or our heroes involved in anything flawed or nefarious. The heroes displayed mostly good traits, but upheld as perfectly good to attain. Most fiction is like this in having the heroes ideals. From such lessons about the ideal people then infer, in time of war, that they are heroes and that they are capable of perfection, when history shows how are greatest leaders are capable of terrible cruelty and lack of judgment.

This show is so much better in that it shows how our heroes can do terrible dehumanizing things and how the enemy can also be kind.

I hope you'll check the TV movie "Razor" out this Saturday Nov 24th just to get a sense of it. Your dad sounds pretty cool, though.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld
Canada's Space and Sci Fi are airing the TV movie "Razor" at 9pm Eastern this Saturday Nov 24th, 2007. It's a chance to see what the show's like in a stand alone, and see if you'd be interested to rent or buy the rest of the series. Check it out, my babies! The Razor DVD will be on sale December 4th, 2007. Please buy it if you're a fan and want to see more because it's a clear market signal to the people that funded it in the first place!
It will be airing on Sci Fi channel in California too. 9pm and 1am

I will be sure to dvr it. (tivo).

Quote:
SAT 11/24

Razor
9:00pm
Lee Adama embarks on his first mission as commander of the Battlestar Pegasus.
SCIFIP 69

1:00am
SUN 11/25

Razor
Lee Adama embarks on his first mission as commander of the Battlestar Pegasus.
SCIFIP 69
Old 01-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #53
Refugee

The incredibly politically-relevant "Occupation"/"Precipice" will be airing this Sunday Jan 6th on Space at 10pm Eastern. Best episode of the season and rivalling only a handful of episodes in the series.

10/10

The parallels are there with Vichy France, US occupation in Iraq, Israeli treatment of Palestinians and Lebanese, the Bush administration, but it's something that's greater than those parallels in speaking to human history and certain themes that repeat. An artistic and humanitarian feat. It easily should have won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Dramatic Series for which it was nominated. Easily!

Then again, the Emmys thought "Heroes" has good actors...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #54
Refugee

The show has started up again, Season 3 is for sale and it's theme running through most of the season is the politics of collaboration in an occupied regime and the dispensation of justice and the morality of this issue in the aftermath of occupation. This theme is wonderfully depicted and resonates with historic themes of Vichy France and many other instances and present day issues of Israeli occupation and the US occupation of Iraq. I urge people to check this show out!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #55
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:46 AM
I think one thread per forum is enough, really.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 AM   #56
Refugee

Newsweek finds Battlestar Galactica to be the piece of art most evocative of the issues of the Bush years.

Art and Culture in the Bush Era | Newsweek Entertainment | Newsweek.com
Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 06:46 AM
This is old news now, but since the thread is here....

Political insight to the max:

4/29truth.com � Blog Archive � John McCain is a Cylon

Crisis averted......
Good job America.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #58
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
Newsweek finds Battlestar Galactica to be the piece of art most evocative of the issues of the Bush years.

Art and Culture in the Bush Era | Newsweek Entertainment | Newsweek.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BrightestStar~ View Post
This is old news now, but since the thread is here....

Political insight to the max:

4/29truth.com � Blog Archive � John McCain is a Cylon

Crisis averted......
Good job America.
Both are great pieces.

BSG returns in a couple of weeks. SO SAY WE ALL! w00t!!!

Best. Show. On. Television. Anyone watching the webisodes?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM
I will go and watch the webisodes

I really don't like watching programs on a small computer screen

I have a mac book pro and the images are great, the built in speakers are just average though.

I hope this season is up to par.

Also, I high hopes for the spin off, Capricorn?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

i'll still go with south park.