The most politically-insightful show in the history of US pop culture - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I've only seen through season 2 but holy crap it's so awesome. Watched the last episode of season 2 last night and was thinking "WTF!!! Crazy!!"

I'd have to say Lieutenant Adama is the biggest badass ever. Balta is also a great character. He's so selfish and pathetic yet you can't help but feel for him. Some of his scenes are really intense. Cool stuff. I love the show. Incredibly well made. Nothing like it on TV.

Oh, and NO ONE buy the mini series. Buy season one which contains an uncut miniseries and a bunch of episodes for not much more expensive.

I repeat: DO NOT BUY THE MINI SERIES.
I'm glad you're enjoying it. That Season 2 finale WAS awesome, eh? I just love Baltar because he's so human. He's petty and anxious and jealous, but I found his arc changed from the more selfish approach in Season 1 to gradually becoming a hero in most of Season 2. Only when, after turning down the presidency in favor of saving Roslin and then finding out she never liked or trusted him and that power was kind of being denied him as legitimate, did he turn. All of a sudden, he became very reckless and wanted power very badly, as all his insecurities came to the fore. I also felt so badly about how that cylon prisoner's death destroyed him. The writer Ron Moore and the actor James Callis have both mentioned how Baltar's decision to settle New Caprica rose not out of pettiness but a decision to follow the public will. I hadn't really realized that but he ended up trying to be democratic, even though he had initially misled them to that choice.

The premiere of Season 3 is just as great and may be out in August.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:49 PM
This series is a great series. So far, I think season 2 was the best.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #33
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
This series is a great series. So far, I think season 2 was the best.
I actually preferred Season 1 as a whole, but thought Season 2.5 had 2 of the best episodes of the series so far: Pegasus (extended version) and Lay Down Your Burdens. Just awesome stuff.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:20 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:49 AM
I hear a lot of dissing on season 2, and I don't see why. Yeah, I think season 1 was better, but not THAT much better. Sometimes I kind of like the filler episodes. It's a little bit of a break for my head.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #35
Refugee

I'm different from a lot of fans because I actually don't like the action stuff. Season 2.0 had tons of that, while Season 2.5 had much more effective drama to me. I just loved "Pegasus", "Resurrection Ship 1 and 2", "Epiphanies" and then the final 3 episodes "Downloaded", and "Lay Down Your Burdens 1 and 2".

What were your favorite episodes from each season?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Bwhahaha this series has Doctor Julian Bashir in it; awesome!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Spoilers maybe.

For season one (besides the miniseries which is too easy) my favorites have to be:

Litmus - Love the tension in the episode. The bombing angle brought up some interesting questions. Also Karen's scene's back on Caprica with the other cylons. Cool stuff. Adama's trial. One of my favorite scenes in the whole series. Oh yeah, and I loved seeing Karen and Tyrol together. They're two of my favorite characters. Come on why did he have to fall for Cally instead? Laaaame. She's not even close. Oh well, Helo is a really cool guy.

Colonial Day - I thought the way they handled the election on the show was just awesome. Extremely interesting and entertaining. Entertaining politics. Cool. Watching Roslin, Adama, and especially Baltar and Tigh get into the whole political game was awesome and hilarious. Plus we get to see a lighter side to Kara and Lee, which I'd like to see more of. Tigh's wife gets on my nerves. Watching Kara and Helo on Caprica was awesome too. I loved the dance party at the end. One of my favorite scenes. Again, Commander Adama is my hero. This could possibly be my favorite episode.

Six Degrees of Seperation - Mostly because of the great scenes with Baltar. This episode was pretty funny too. Bathroom scenes were hilarious. "you forgot to wash your hands". Bwahahahaha. The scene in the cell, while he was praying gave me some hope for him. Then Caprica Six shows up and I want to shoot myself in the face. I thought "noooo come on Baltar get rid of her now!!!". Oh well. Poor Baltar, he's so pitiful but you can't help but relate to him. It's kind of scary when you think about it.

I'll post on season two later. I have to think about it.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Bwhahaha this series has Doctor Julian Bashir in it; awesome!
Yeah, a lot of people who've vaguely watched DS9 (for which head writer of BSG Ron Moore wrote) have confused James Callis' Baltar with Siddig El Fadil's Julian Bashire. Alas, it's not him. Bashir WAS in Syriana, and the last Ridley Scott film about the Crusades, and the recent season of 24.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #39
Refugee

As a shameless tie-in to similarly politically-insightful writing I'm using this thread to advertize a link to the best episode of The 4400 this season:
Here's a link to the 7th and up to now best episode of the season, "Til We Have Built Jerusalem" in streaming video; it might not be up for too long:

http://stage6.divx.com/user/roni_smi...355/4400-04x07
Old 09-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #40
Refugee

Dudes, I mentioned this program to Daniel Lanois!

On my way to the cinema, I wondered if Lanois would be there for a Q & A, but it was the second airing and I doubted it. Still, I had some ideas about what I wanted to say. Before the film aired, Lanois came in and the introduced himself and his two producers to the crowd. The woman conducting the proceedings said Mr. Lanois would answer questions after it was over. I kept thinking how I'd formulate my recommendations for the next U2 album. Would he get mad it wasn't a question about his work specifically or the documentary? Would he cut me off mid-statement, saying it wasn't the time and place? I needed to be clear but not take up too much time from other Lanois fans, so I kept thinking about what I had to say, and I was so damn nervous.

The lights came on after it was over and I hesitated, as I was too terrified to ask first. After the first person, I quickly raised my hand. "You, in the back. Blue shirt," Daniel Lanois yelled.

I knew there were a lot of people there who were fans of his, so I thought I'd ask him first if I could make some recommendations about the upcoming U2 album.
He said, "The new U2 album?" "Yes" (some people giggled) "Yeah," he replied calmly.
I couldn't believe it. It was happening. My mind was cluttered, as I stumblingly said something like:

"You're probably familiar with concerns that U2's most recent work has tended to be simpler, less subtle, and more obvious lyrically.... When I listen to a song like "Love and Peace or Else", I think that Bono has missed the point.
(Here's why I think that
http://forum.atu2.com/forum.src?Act...25&SubjStart=26
"Because you guys write political songs, and ...God I feel so nervous," I muttered. "I wanted to suggest Battlestar Galactica as a kind of muse because it's the most politically-insightful show in the history of American pop culture. It's all about the dehumanization and homogenization of the other -- whoever that may be -- and it's about war and terrorism.... and faith. There are no good guys and bad guys, and the conflict comes out of differing interests and perspectives. And I just wanted to suggest that to the band as a kind of muse..."

The whole time, he was a gentleman. Neither he nor his producers smirked or looked annoyed (from what I could see, way up)
He asked, "Well, what did you think about the choir piece?"
I nervously slightly lied and said, "It was pretty good," even though I barely had an opinion, which is not to say it isn't good, but it was hard to tell.
I emphasized, "I mean, I loved Achtung Baby!....But when I hear a song like 'Love and Peace or Else' saying both sides just have to lay down their arms...That's just not the problem." (If I were thinking clearly, I would have said, laying down arms helps the Israelis continue the occupation, but not the Palestinians who only began resisting violently after being ethnically cleansed from their homes and land, and occupied after 1948. I would have also said that "Bullet the Blue Sky" was great for bringing up American mistreatment of Nicaragua, as was "Mothers of the Disappeared" great for discussing the actions of US-supported Latin American dictators who killed leftist activists, and "Silver and Gold" for discussing South African apartheid. I would have also expressed thanks for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and especially "Please" for illuminating the ego-centric mentality of many terrorists. Yet, I would have said that's only half the problem in this war on terror. State actions of oppression and war are equally morally ambiguous as terrorism.)

He then said something; I can't remember what because I was so nervous, but then said, "Well, I'll pass on the message to them."
"Thank you!" I said.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:27 AM   #41
Refugee

I already posted a link to the feedback page to nicely ask the USA network to renew The 4400:
http://www.usanetwork.com/feedback/

However, written mail supposedly has far more weight, as the administration on the official site says "Writing an actual letter to the network is your best bet. One snail mail is worth 100 emails." So, here's the postal address:

USA Network
30 Rockefeller Plaza
21st Floor
New York, NY 10112

Or here's a link to a printable blank letter and envelope with the address filled out:
http://www.renewmyshow.com/2007/09/w...the-4400-back/
Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #42
Refugee

I just want to say thanks to this site for allowing to make statements about terrorism in my first post, when atu2.com has a bunch of conservative moderators who, all of a sudden, decided my new BSG thread was off-topic in the "Real World" forum on the grounds they didn't like discussion of terrorism because it "pisses people and the admin off".
Old 09-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #43
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld
I just want to say thanks to this site for allowing to make statements about terrorism in my first post, when atu2.com has a bunch of conservative moderators who, all of a sudden, decided my new BSG thread was off-topic in the "Real World" forum on the grounds they didn't like discussion of terrorism because it "pisses people and the admin off".
Wow. They just banned me for this. Bastards. Hope the admin all fails miserably.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

Wow. They just banned me for this. Bastards. Hope the admin all fails miserably.
@u2 sucks ass.......

I mean, what can can you say about a forum where they consider "ass" a censor-worthy word...........
Old 10-01-2007, 03:26 AM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

@u2 sucks ass.......

I mean, what can can you say about a forum where they consider "ass" a censor-worthy word...........
Thanks, bub.

Not just "ass" but "tit" and "cock", so if I was talking about the singer of Pulp, Jarvis Cocker constituting his own album, that was censored. That was minor, though. The abuse from massively pro-U2 fans and admins was the real problem.