The major corporation behind the grassroots Tea Party - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:37 PM
Moore to the Point by Russell D. Moore

An interesting article, written to Christians. Not all of his points are ones that will fly here in FYM, but here is at least someone trying to speak sense to the masses...

Some choice excerpts:

"Rather than cultivating a Christian vision of justice and the common good (which would have, by necessity, been nuanced enough to put us sometimes at odds with our political allies), we’ve relied on populist God-and-country sloganeering and outrage-generating talking heads. We’ve tolerated heresy and buffoonery in our leadership as long as with it there is sufficient political “conservatism” and a sufficient commercial venue to sell our books and products."

"Too often, and for too long, American “Christianity” has been a political agenda in search of a gospel useful enough to accommodate it. There is a liberation theology of the Left, and there is also a liberation theology of the Right, and both are at heart mammon worship. The liberation theology of the Left often wants a Barabbas, to fight off the oppressors as though our ultimate problem were the reign of Rome and not the reign of death. The liberation theology of the Right wants a golden calf, to represent religion and to remind us of all the economic security we had in Egypt. Both want a Caesar or a Pharaoh, not a Messiah."

nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 04:37 PM
It’s sad to see so many Christians confusing Mormon politics or American nationalism with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
This is the part that stands out to me the most. Beck has got it wrong, on SOOOO many levels, but I'm speaking purely from a Biblical perspective, he has it wrong. I'm not going to say Mormonism is contrary to the gospel, as Moore states, but I have noticed that many Mormon individuals confuse and recklessly place nationalism above the teachings of the Bible. It's a scary trend that I've noticed recently, but would like to find out more about...

BVS is online now   Reply With Quote