The legacy of President George W. Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow weird bump. I don't remember writing all that stuff...then I realized it wasn't even a thread from this summer but last summer.

We just like the excitement of people getting banned. :D

Besides, he was free to voice his opinion. And the board owner was free to boot his butt off the board too. Both used that freedom. :)

Leaves the impression he really got banned for his political opinions. However, reason for the banning was his language. Cursing and insulting posts didn't help much.

And it wasn't in response to posts like this:
Wow.
That was a year and a half ago.
I didn't read this whole thread, but man, that is some amazing shit right there.
Solidified relationships with other countries? Are you nuts?
Guided the nation through Katrina? Wow. I think you are nuts.
The sweetest part is your assesment of the economy though. Yep, it really worked out well didn't it?

YourPost=Epic Fail.

Really, is this poster around anymore? Because he/she has got to answer for this kind of display of outright stupidity.

where it would have been somewhat understandable.

Let's not drag up arguments from over a year ago with people who are no longer a part of the forum, k?

And Jofo, asking a poster to answer for their "outright stupidity" is out of line.

if in 10 to 20+ years iraq is a stable, thriving, growing democracy, then the legacy of george bush will look significantly better than it does today.

as with most presidents, you can't really judge what they did at the time they did it... in the "want it now" society that americans live in that can be tough to take.

it doesn't look good now, but bush's legacy is not yet a closed book.

Well, there's also a chance that you'll soon see a three legged ballerina onstage at the Met.

Dig?

Wall Street Journal

Opinion Nov 5th 2008

The Treatment of Bush Has Been a Disgrace
What must our enemies be thinking?
By JEFFREY SCOTT SHAPIRO

Earlier this year, 12,000 people in San Francisco signed a petition in support of a proposition on a local ballot to rename an Oceanside sewage plant after George W. Bush. The proposition is only one example of the classless disrespect many Americans have shown the president.

According to recent Gallup polls, the president's average approval rating is below 30% -- down from his 90% approval in the wake of 9/11. Mr. Bush has endured relentless attacks from the left while facing abandonment from the right.

This is the price Mr. Bush is paying for trying to work with both Democrats and Republicans. During his 2004 victory speech, the president reached out to voters who supported his opponent, John Kerry, and said, "Today, I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent. To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support, and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust."

Those bipartisan efforts have been met with crushing resistance from both political parties.

The president's original Supreme Court choice of Harriet Miers alarmed Republicans, while his final nomination of Samuel Alito angered Democrats. His solutions to reform the immigration system alienated traditional conservatives, while his refusal to retreat in Iraq has enraged liberals who have unrealistic expectations about the challenges we face there.

It seems that no matter what Mr. Bush does, he is blamed for everything. He remains despised by the left while continuously disappointing the right.

Yet it should seem obvious that many of our country's current problems either existed long before Mr. Bush ever came to office, or are beyond his control. Perhaps if Americans stopped being so divisive, and congressional leaders came together to work with the president on some of these problems, he would actually have had a fighting chance of solving them.

Like the president said in his 2004 victory speech, "We have one country, one Constitution and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

To be sure, Mr. Bush is not completely alone. His low approval ratings put him in the good company of former Democratic President Harry S. Truman, whose own approval rating sank to 22% shortly before he left office. Despite Mr. Truman's low numbers, a 2005 Wall Street Journal poll found that he was ranked the seventh most popular president in history.

Just as Americans have gained perspective on how challenging Truman's presidency was in the wake of World War II, our country will recognize the hardship President Bush faced these past eight years -- and how extraordinary it was that he accomplished what he did in the wake of the September 11 attacks.

The treatment President Bush has received from this country is nothing less than a disgrace. The attacks launched against him have been cruel and slanderous, proving to the world what little character and resolve we have. The president is not to blame for all these problems. He never lost faith in America or her people, and has tried his hardest to continue leading our nation during a very difficult time.

Our failure to stand by the one person who continued to stand by us has not gone unnoticed by our enemies. It has shown to the world how disloyal we can be when our president needed loyalty -- a shameful display of arrogance and weakness that will haunt this nation long after Mr. Bush has left the White House.

Mr. Shapiro is an investigative reporter and lawyer who previously interned with John F. Kerry's legal team during the presidential election in 2004.

Leaves the impression he really got banned for his political opinions. However, reason for the banning was his language. Cursing and insulting posts didn't help much.

Yet, we still have many liberals apart of the forum who at times have been a perfect fit for that catagory.:wink:

Wow. I had no idea trying to strip us of our civil liberties at every turn was how a president shows willingness to "stand by us." I guess that's why I'm not writing for the Wall Street Journal.

And does this Shapiro guy ever talk to anyone living outside the USA ever? Or read any foreign newspapers? If he thinks Americans don't respect Bush, he'd have a heart attack if he knew what the rest of the world thinks of him.

Wow. I had no idea trying to strip us of our civil liberties at every turn was how a president shows willingness to "stand by us." I guess that's why I'm not writing for the Wall Street Journal.

And does this Shapiro guy ever talk to anyone living outside the USA ever? Or read any foreign newspapers? If he thinks Americans don't respect Bush, he'd have a heart attack if he knew what the rest of the world thinks of him.

I don't understand this, so could you please explain how, specifically and personally, your civil liberties have been stripped in the last 8 years?

2nd part, I was in Europe for a few weeks this summer talked politics with plenty of italians, greeks, and turks(all awesome people!)....Criticisms of Bush honestly didn't seem that different from what I hear from the left here in the States...Actually the most radical person i encountered in Italy was my sister who is on the far left...she was telling the owner of our hotel that our country is fascist and Bush is like Hitler(which it was embarrasing to hear my sister say this to a resident of a country that was ravaged by fasicsm in the 30's and 40's) ..but of course this is only my individual experience and I have no doubt that Bush is despised in many places abroad.

I don't understand this, so could you please explain how, specifically and personally, your civil liberties have been stripped in the last 8 years?

Why does it have to be personal?

Do you not understand that rights were taken away?

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Why does it have to be personal?

Do you not understand that rights were taken away?

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Good Point, it doesn't have to be personal.

I've just honestly never heard examples of how our rights have been taken away...there have been wrongful investigations and interrogations, just like there have always been wrongful arrests, punishments, and executions.

Old Europe isn't particularly happy with Bush's policies, indeed. But I hate those comparisons with Hitler as well.
Being way more liberal in general, Bush didn't have an easy stand in most eyes. And he made sure to get despised with the arrogance he and his administration showed when a few of us decided not to join him in the Iraq war.

George W. Bush has given himself the power to detain you, an American citizen, without reason or explanation, for an indefinite period of time, at his own discretion.

I've just honestly never heard examples of how our rights have been taken away...there have been wrongful investigations and interrogations, just like there have always been wrongful arrests, punishments, and executions.

Yes. Didn't most senators, including President-elect Obama, vote FOR the re-authorization of the Patriot Act ?

Wire taps without warrant, they can check the books you've checked out, the websites you've looked at, they can detain you without reason...just because you aren't Muslim doesn't mean you can't be next. You give them an inch and they can take a foot...

Yes Wanderer, yes.........

Look it up.
Please.

Preferably through the show "Frontline" on PBS here in the US.

Try doing a semester in the US as exchange student. If you still feel welcome by Homeland Security or even the workers in the consulate afterward you have a very high tolerance for disrespectful treatment. I honestly felt sorry for the Iranian student that day who had to go through the procedures at the consulate.
The whole process leaves you with the impression those departments involved in immigration just can't believe you are voluntarily and with good intentions visiting the country.
Higher security standards is one thing, disrespectful treatment quite another.

Several kidnappings of German and other foreign citizens, the detainment of tourists at the airport without letting him or his family know for weeks where he is or what will happen and other such incidents are one of the real legacies of this current president.

I have to say that as somebody on a work visa in the US, I have never had even an iota of a problem. Everyone, and I mean, everyone from airport security to other US officials was extremely polite and welcoming and treated me without any suspicion, at least outwardly. Part of it likely has to do with my country of origin, part of it maybe has to do with having lawyers do all my paperwork properly at a significant cost but resulting in smooth processing, part if it has to do with the fact I am probably a very low risk for staying in the US. Nevertheless, I can't complain about anything.

I think being a surly suspicious person comes with the job as the frontline to all the peeps wanting to come in a spoil your pure and innocent homeland ;)

Last time I visited the US with my mum the custom dude was the biggest dick, you had to scan your fingerprints and my mum has arthritus in her hand and couldn't press hard enough. He actually said 'i'll give you 3 more seconds to PRESS HARDER OR YOU'LL BE DENIED ENTRY' :angry: I told him to take a chill pill and he barked 'BEHIND THE LINE OR i'LL CALL SECURITY'
meh. It wa sonly one guy, but they were all like that, being rude especially to an african family in front of us. All of them were detained to be searched further and the woman was so frightened, hiding her face in her shawl and he was shouting 'stop hiding your face, unless you don't want to be granted entry!'
it certainly got our holiday off to a shit start. But i :heart: New york too much to worry about one custom pig! :love:

George W. Bush has given himself the power to detain you, an American citizen, without reason or explanation, for an indefinite period of time, at his own discretion.

Hallelujah, brother!!! :rockon: Nothing quite like a good detaining. Thanks, George. :up:

A Bush quote from earlier today: “...This will be America’s first wartime transition in four decades.”

Personally, I cannot wait for the transition--the transition from rhetoric, propaganda, and the politics of fear.

I have to say that as somebody on a work visa in the US, I have never had even an iota of a problem. Everyone, and I mean, everyone from airport security to other US officials was extremely polite and welcoming and treated me without any suspicion, at least outwardly. Part of it likely has to do with my country of origin, part of it maybe has to do with having lawyers do all my paperwork properly at a significant cost but resulting in smooth processing, part if it has to do with the fact I am probably a very low risk for staying in the US. Nevertheless, I can't complain about anything.

It certainly depends on personal experience. I wouldn't say the people there were especially mean. The guy I lastly talked to and one of the younger employees were actually very friendly. But the rest: not so.
And it was the questions in the forms that make you feel like: Why are they suspecting me? Or paying the nice Sevis fee for your own observation.
Sure, about the question, "Are you a terrorist or close to a terrorist organization?" I could only laugh (just like I did when I was asked that and similar questions for the Australian working holiday visa, or the fact that for the Australian immigration department you could still be a citizen of the GDR).

But what shocked me more was when I read the story of the Italian tourist that got mistaken for someone else at the airport, detained and held in a prison not knowing about the charges, without having contact to his family who didn't know where he was, and without proper legal representation for days. Even after it was clear that it was a mix up they refused to release him and left him unclear about his situation. And that in the country that proudly claims to spread democracy.

The only thing I've found remotely enjoyable about the Bush administration is Barney the dog. :heart: Every year I've looked forward to his Christmas videos. Today, Barney made his own statement:

Barney snaps under pressure, bites White House reporter | Political Insider | ajc.com

Barney snaps under pressure, bites White House reporter

Thursday, November 6, 2008, 03:04 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Politico is reporting that Barney the Scottie, President Bush’s canine companion, finally snapped and bit a White House reporter today.

Reporters haven’t decided whether Barney was fed up with liberal media bias, depressed by how history is likely to rate his tenure, or was simply enjoying the sense of freedom that comes to any short-timer.

The victim was Reuters TV correspondent Jon Decker, who’d bent down to pet the dog. Damage was limited to a broken skin on a finger.

Politico quotes Decker:

“As a result of the bleeding, I was treated by White House physician Dr. Richard Tubb,” Decker tells us. And, “Am now on antibiotics and will be getting a tetanus shot administered by Dr. Tubb tomorrow,” he says.

Rumors that Barney has contacted Scooter Libby for the name of a good attorney are totally unfounded.

YouTube - Barney bites reporter

He clearly wants to leave his own legacy. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom