The legacy of President George W. Bush - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #496
Refugee

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it's true, i'm awful. i'm the worst poster ever. all i do is slam people. no one ever has had a good exchange with me. i always bring the discussion down to my level. i've never conceded a point. i've never made a relevant contribution. people always get exasperated with me because i repeat the same old information over and over and over. i'm on everyone's ignore list. people run away screaming when i enter a thread. maybe one day, just for once, i'll stop. but not now. my long history on this forum has proved the point that i'm incapable of rationally discussing an issue.

clearly, i'm the problem here.
Well, if your interested in discussing the issue, the topic of the thread, why do you spend so much time labling other people and calling them names? What do the forum rules that you agreed to abide by say about that?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #497
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:35 PM
*Debating whether to continue argument or listen to Diemen*

Whatever happened to nbcrusader? I liked talking to him .

Angela

Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #498
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
What do the forum rules that you agreed to abide by say about that?
"Labling [sic] people" is not against the forum rules, Sting.

That being said, let's get back to the topic at hand, everyone. Or get back to ignoring people that you were previously ignoring.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #499
Refugee

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
"Labling [sic] people" is not against the forum rules, Sting.
Well the following is in the forum rules:

Quote:
Anything that is a personal attack (by personal attack, we also include yawns, rolleyes, etc. that are directly intended to annoy, or used excessively).
But under your interpertation, refering to someone as an automaton or autistic is perfectly ok?

I know that moderators in the past would never have been ok with myself or others refering to other forum members that way.

How does refering to another forum member in that way contribute ANYTHING to any of the topics or threads in this forum?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #500
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I know that moderators in the past would never have been ok with myself or others refering to other forum members that way.
I thought you were against personal attacks, Sting.

I have asked everyone to stick to the topic at hand, and I ask you to do the same. I have also asked those who found it necessary to ignore members to stick to it.

If you have a complaint over another member's post, report it instead of taking it upon yourself to lecture them in-thread.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #501
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 PM
He thinks that's his biggest failure? Um, wow

Former President George W. Bush signaled on Thursday that he sees not privatizing Social Security as his greatest failure from the eight years he served in the White House, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The unpopular Republican leader made the suggestion while speaking at a trade conference in the Windy City, where he discussed his legacy and also offered a glimpse into what readers can expect from his forthcoming memoir, Decision Points.

"I would like to be remembered as a guy who had a set of priorities, and was willing to live by those priorities," explained Bush. "In terms of accomplishments, my biggest accomplishment is that I kept the country safe amidst a real danger."

Bush poked fun at himself in addressing how his thoughts will be delivered in his memoir.

"I have written a book," he said. "This will come as quite a shock to some. They didn't think I could read, much less write."

With the 2010 midterm election just weeks away, it's possible that the comments from the former president may leave some members of the GOP community a bit uneasy. Over the summer, it was reported that the release date for Bush's memoir -- November 9 -- had Republicans concerned that the timing could hurt the party's chances at the polls.

Matt Latimer, a former Bush appointee, wrote about the matter at the Daily Beast at the time:

[Some] Republicans, particularly those most closely tied to the Bush regime, actually argue the book could help the party by reminding some voters of what they liked about Bush. Still, that has not stopped some Republicans, traumatized over the last two election cycles, from fearing the worst. "Monumentally bad timing" was the reaction of one former Bush aide who learned of the book release date. Another prominent conservative compared the Bushies' public-relations savvy to LeBron James . "Selfish and stupid" was another noted right-wing columnist's reaction

As the criticism relates to Bush's regret that he couldn't achieve privatizing social security, it seems that his remarks couldn't have come at a worse time.

Time magazine reported earlier this week on Democratic efforts to score points with voters ahead of the midterms on the social security issue. In some cases, Democrats are even tying the matter to the former president.

"Instead of helping seniors," explained House Speaker Pelosi's office to the publication, "Republicans, backed by their allies on Wall Street, are threatening to privatize and cut Social Security, just as they tried to do under President Bush."

It shouldn't come as a surprise that following the former White House leader's remarks on Thursday, Democrats were quick to once again pounce on the issue.

"Republicans' agenda is what it always was -- turn the Social Security seniors worked hard to earn over to Wall Street," said Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Press Secretary Ryan Rudominer. "If Republicans has their way, seniors could have lost 40 percent of their retirement investments when the market crashed. America's seniors deserve better."
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #502
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Bush poked fun at himself in addressing how his thoughts will be delivered in his memoir.

"I have written a book," he said.
He better not go on a book tour, because no one would show up. Well, maybe a few who still believe he was the best president ever (unbelievable that there are people like that) plus a few egg and/or tomato throwers, but other than that...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #503
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I never understood the privatizing social security issue, are Republicans truly this short sighted? Are they ever capable of seeing the big picture?

I get it, as an individual you should be saving for retirement. BUT then there is this thing called reality, which is not all can do so, and not all will do so.

What is the Republican plan when there is a big percentage of homeless elderly? Death panels, or just let them become a drain on society? It's common sense.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #504
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Wow. That's the only thing he sees as a failure? That's...horrendously sad.

Quote:
"In terms of accomplishments, my biggest accomplishment is that I kept the country safe amidst a real danger."
Oh, where, oh, where to begin with that statement?

Quote:
Over the summer, it was reported that the release date for Bush's memoir -- November 9 -- had Republicans concerned that the timing could hurt the party's chances at the polls.
Right. The timing of his book should be what concerns that party most about their chances next month. Not their psychotic beliefs and stances on issues, no.

Quote:
[Some] Republicans, particularly those most closely tied to the Bush regime, actually argue the book could help the party by reminding some voters of what they liked about Bush.
Keep dreaming.

Angela
Old 10-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #505
The Fly

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I never understood the privatizing social security issue, are Republicans truly this short sighted? Are they ever capable of seeing the big picture?

I get it, as an individual you should be saving for retirement. BUT then there is this thing called reality, which is not all can do so, and not all will do so.

What is the Republican plan when there is a big percentage of homeless elderly? Death panels, or just let them become a drain on society? It's common sense.
Bush suggested allowing individuals to invest up to TWO percent of their Social Security payroll taxes in privately controlled equity accounts. Wow that is so radical! That means the government would have only been allowed to control 98 percent--instead of 100 percent--of our social security funds. We wouldn't want that now would we?
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #506
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:35 AM
given he'd been out of the limelight for nearly two years i forgot how much of a complete spastic he was.

wow.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #507
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
Bush suggested allowing individuals to invest up to TWO percent of their Social Security payroll taxes in privately controlled equity accounts. Wow that is so radical! That means the government would have only been allowed to control 98 percent--instead of 100 percent--of our social security funds. We wouldn't want that now would we?
I'm speaking to PRIVATIZING social security in general. There are many that want a lot more than 2%.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #508
Refugee

Quote:
I'm speaking to PRIVATIZING social security in general. There are many that want a lot more than 2%.
Is that what he wanted though?
Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #509
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Is that what he wanted though?
He never had a concrete plan, not one I saw, it was always shifting.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #510
Refugee

Quote:
He never had a concrete plan, not one I saw, it was always shifting.
I don't see it as a big deal then, if he never actually made plans.