The legacy of President George W. Bush - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #391
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:53 PM
If anyone has read or heard about what the CIA was allegedly doing in some of these "enhanced interrogation techniques"-threatening to kill children, watch your mothers are sexually assaulted, use of power drills, mock execution of fellow prisoners, and probably much more.

(CNN) — Former Vice President Dick Cheney is again taking aim at President Obama, issuing a statement Monday suggesting the administration's decision to name a prosecutor to investigate CIA interrogations under President Bush fuels "doubts about this administration's ability to be responsible for our nation's security."

"The people involved deserve our gratitude," Cheney said in the statement. "They do not deserve to be the targets of political investigations or prosecutions."

The former vice president also said documents released Monday prove enhanced interrogation techniques yieled valuable information that "provided the bulk of intelligence we gained about al Qaeda"

"This intelligence saved lives and prevented terrorist attacks," Cheney said. "These detainees also, according to the documents, played a role in nearly every capture of al Qaeda members and associates since 2002."

"The activities of the CIA in carrying out the policies of the Bush Administration were directly responsible for defeating all efforts by al Qaeda to launch further mass casualty attacks against the United States," he added.

Late Monday, the government released declassified CIA documents originally requested last May by Cheney. The former vice president had argued they would show enhanced interrogation techniques saved lives.

While analysis in the documents says information from detainee interrogations "helped thwart a number of al-Qaida plots" and "arrests…disrupted attack plans in progress," it remains unclear from the heavily redacted documents whether that information was obtained through the enhanced interrogation techniques Cheney defends.

The documents' release came the same day Attorney General Eric Holder asked federal prosecutor John Durham to examine whether CIA interrogations of suspected terrorists were illegal after the release of a 2004 CIA inspector general's report into further questionable interrogation techniques.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #392
Blue Crack Supplier

we do not torture.

repeat.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #393
Blue Crack Addict

No-it's only enhanced. Like HD, only even bigger and better.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #394
Blue Crack Addict

Some interesting stuff..

Bush In 2008: "I'm Not Going To Tell Some Gay Kid In The Audience That He Can't Get Married"

Speechwriter Matt Latimer's new book trains its gaze on the lunacy of the late-era Bush White House. And there was plenty of material.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #395
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Some interesting stuff..

Bush In 2008: "I'm Not Going To Tell Some Gay Kid In The Audience That He Can't Get Married"

Speechwriter Matt Latimer's new book trains its gaze on the lunacy of the late-era Bush White House. And there was plenty of material.
Sounds like it might be a good read!

Quote:
Bush, when told that Idaho Sen. Larry Craig had been the latest GOPer to be caught in a sex scandal involving boys or men: "What is up with all these Republicans?"

Laura Bush, says Latimer, "was secretly a Democrat for all intents and purposes, though it really wasn't much of a secret."

Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #396
Blue Crack Addict

Popularity fleeting, former president tells seminar crowd | Local News | Star-Telegram.com

Former President George W. Bush told more than 11,000 people at the Fort Worth Convention Center that he was confident he made the right decisions as president, even if it hurt his popularity.

“Every single day I was honored to be your president by bringing honor and dignity to the office,” Bush said Monday afternoon, during his first foray into motivational speaking, at the day-long "Get Motivated" seminar.

Bush, who now lives in Dallas, spoke in a relaxed tone about a few lessons he'd learned in life, including sticking to your principles and living each day to its fullest.

“It’s so simple in life to chase popularity, but popularity is fleeting," Bush said. "It’s not real."

When the president left office in January 2009, his approval ratings hovered in the low 20s and 30s, depending upon the polling agency.

Bush assured the families of war veterans that he wouldn't sell out "their loved ones for the sake of pure politics."

"And let me tell you," he continued. "I never did.”

The former president also emphasized the importance of generosity, noting how many people were surprised when he promised billions in aid to Africa to fight the AIDS epidemic.

“Apparently Republicans aren’t supposed to be compassionate, so it was a shock," Bush said.

Bush also spoke about his faith, promising everyone in the audience that those people who prayed for him and his wife while they lived in the Oval Office made the first couple's lives better.

“From a personal perspective, I don’t see how you can be president without relying upon an almighty," Bush said.

When he spoke about his economic outlook, Bush’s remarks sounded like a Republican Party stump speech.

“Another principle I believe in is that you can spend your money better than the government can,” Bush said to huge applause.

He added later: “The marketplace works. It is fair. It is equitable. It is a fair form of democracy.”

At the end of his speech, Bush received a standing ovation.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #397
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ah George. . .

You know, I never felt he was evil. Just not very competent. . .with disastorous results. I actually agree with his principles of not chasing popularity.

It's just, if you're wrong, you're wrong whether that's the popular conception or not.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #398
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
“Another principle I believe in is that you can spend your money better than the government can,” Bush said to huge applause.

no question.

people need flat-screen TVs, not roads and schools and a fire department.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #399
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:53 PM
I have to laugh...

I never heard one Republican moan about his spending while in office, yet now they all say that they didn't agree with Bush on his spending and TARP, but yet they applaud him when he says something like this...

Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #400
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I have to laugh...

I never heard one Republican moan about his spending while in office, yet now they all say that they didn't agree with Bush on his spending and TARP, but yet they applaud him when he says something like this...

Um... works both ways, you know.

Democrats didn't stop complaining about the deficit spending the last 8 years, but now they seem pretty silent, yourself included, despite the debt and the deficit skyrocketing.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #401
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I spoke about the deficit spending of a war of choice from a Republican and how on his watch we drove ourself to this economy, what did you do?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #402
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
no question.

people need flat-screen TVs, not roads and schools and a fire department.
Wow. Talk about selective hearing. Is this how you interpret statements from everybody you hate, even when the statement is clear, obvious, logical, and something 99% of the population would agree with?

And am I left to believe that you think the government can my spend money on things more worthy to me than I can?

By the way, show me any legitimate conservative who opposes paying any taxes.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #403
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I spoke about the deficit spending of a war of choice from a Republican and how on his watch we drove ourself to this economy, what did you do?
So that's a no? You don't have a problem with Obama's spending, and you're fine with every dime he is adding to the deficit?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #404
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I didn't say that, and you've asked me this before and I've answered it... but nice deflection.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #405
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
And am I left to believe that you think the government can my spend money on things more worthy to me than I can?
yes.