The Large Hadron Collider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where might I read up on this. I'll admit, I have no clue what they are doing or looking to find. But I'm interested in knowing. :up:

One thing they are doing is trying to recreate the conditions in the earliest moments of the universe, like within the first second of the big bang.

If you google large hadron collider you would find tons of info with all kinds of levels of detail and info. It's interesting stuff, though I find it very easy to get completely lost.....

I'm disappointed, where are all the religious conservatives wailing about how we're messing with nature/God's law/yada yada..... :tsk:

Probably keeping their fingers crossed that the LHC will catastrophically fail and bring Jesus back to the earth for Judgement. :lol:

One thing they are doing is trying to recreate the conditions in the earliest moments of the universe, like within the first second of the big bang.

If you google large hadron collider you would find tons of info with all kinds of levels of detail and info. It's interesting stuff, though I find it very easy to get completely lost.....

:up:

I'm in the same boat...my astrophysist friend can go on about this for an eternity. I find it fascinating and mesmerizing, but completely over my head.

Oi, I'm buying a new fridge on Saturday. Voting Liberal will null and void my warranty.... :tsk:

Righto, then. I voted for some tree hugging hippy. How's that warranty? Hope you got 428 months interest free from your local Harvey Norman, or better yet, paid cash and retained your soul?

:grumpy:

Yeah, alright. Keep your knickers on.

Doesn't this have a few week or something left anyway until they rip the fabric of the time-space continuum asunder? I do declare it be called a Fry-Hole.

OK, I'm now done with the mindless intervention. Really.

Did someone mention the news from yesterday? That the thing hasn't actually been running for about a week now?

I'm absolutely fascinated by what this collider could prove in theoretical physics, not to mention all the changes to theory that the observations will inevitably bring. This is a very big deal!

:drool: Agreed.. as a scientist I can safely say thinks like this bring the nerd out in me!

and I just love the way people go into mass hysteria! :love: Bring on the black holes!

Did someone mention the news from yesterday? That the thing hasn't actually been running for about a week now?

NY Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 21, 2008
New Particle Collider to Be Shut Down for Repairs
By DENNIS OVERBYE
The giant Large Hadron Collider, the world’s largest and most expensive scientific experiment, will be shut down for at least two months, scientists at the European Center for Nuclear Research, or CERN, in Geneva said Saturday.

The shutdown casts into doubt the hopes of CERN physicists to achieve high-energy collisions of protons in the machine before the end of the year.

“It’s too early to say whether we’ll still be having collisions this year,” said James Gillies, chief of communications for CERN, in an e-mail message.

The laboratory shuts down to save money on electricity during the winter. A gala inauguration party scheduled for Oct. 21 will still take place, Dr. Gillies said.

The collider is designed to accelerate the subatomic particles known as protons to energies of seven trillion electron volts, far surpassing any other accelerator on Earth, and bang them together in search of new particles and forces.

After the initial success of threading protons through the machine on Sept. 10, physicists had hoped they could move ahead quickly to low-energy collisions at 450 billion electron volts and then five-trillion-electron volt collisions as early as mid-October.

Several mishaps, including the failure of a 30-ton electrical transformer, have slowed progress since then. In the worst case, on Friday, one of the giant superconducting magnets that guide the protons failed during a test. A large amount of helium, which is used to cool the magnets to within 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit of absolute zero, leaked into the collider tunnel.

In a terse statement, the laboratory said that an electrical connection between the magnets had melted because of the high current. To fix it, engineers will have to warm that section of the tunnel, and then cool it all the way down again.

Physicists say such setbacks are an inevitable part of starting up such a large and complicated machine, which has cost $8 billion and taken 14 years.

“This is just an unfortunate fact of life when starting up a machine like the L.H.C,” Dr. Gillies said.

Well, I kinda expected that. The thing is huge, with tons of different parts. Naturally some of them are going to need tweaking. I'd be surprised if it was working within the next two - three years, actually. This is a long term device. In 10-20 years it will be status quo, I think.

The March issue of National Geographic (the one with the 'world's smartest dog' border collie on the cover) had an article on the collider with lots of their usual great photos. Not that there aren't probably plenty of egghead techie magazines out there running photo features on it now too...

Back
Top Bottom