The I Voted Early Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my absentee ballot yesterday. To be honest, I don't even remember why I had at one point signed up for absentee ballot, but I've been getting them ever since.

This time, however, I'm going to vote in person. I contacted the appropriate folks to ask if that would cause an issue, and they said it shouldn't be a problem, but I filled out a form and faxed it in, just in case.

Also, they said that next year Washington state was going to be a solely vote-by-mail state, which I don't think I'd heard of before. I wonder why, and I wonder if other states do that?

Well, I'm not Carek (shocking, I know), but if I were voting by mail, I'd probably have to "work on it" as well, since I am woefully ignorant of the local races and initiatives. I just got my state voters' pamphlet in the mail as well, and I want to read through it before just ranomly filling in circles for the local stuff.

But yeah, the presidential part of it - that's a no-brainer. ;)

I got my absentee ballot yesterday. To be honest, I don't even remember why I had at one point signed up for absentee ballot, but I've been getting them ever since.

This time, however, I'm going to vote in person. I contacted the appropriate folks to ask if that would cause an issue, and they said it shouldn't be a problem, but I filled out a form and faxed it in, just in case.

Also, they said that next year Washington state was going to be a solely vote-by-mail state, which I don't think I'd heard of before. I wonder why, and I wonder if other states do that?

I live in Wash.State also and I got my mail-in ballot and plan on mailing it out on MONDAY too!!

Oregon is a vote by mail state, I think they have been for a few years now.

I went canvassing today for Obama door to door in the beautiful fall weather and volunteered a few more hours in at the Bellevue Wash. Headquaters for Obama making up canvassing packets for people! I am also going to be waving signs on street corners next week and the during the days up to Nov.4th!
We need to get out the vote and not take anything for granted during this election of our lives!!
Come on everybody, let's take our country back!
Hope you all are volunterring out there too!! It's fun!

YES WE CAN :rockon:

Working on it? you fill in a few bubbles and sign something, don't you?

It took me about an hour to fill mine out, sitting around a table at work with colleagues who are all of similar thinking politically. We talked about all the local issues - amendments to the state constitution, bond issues, tax questions, local judges up for re-election - and had to get on the Internet and do some research. Had I gone on election day and voted in person, I would have left more than half of it blank because I wasn't informed. This is the main reason why I always vote by absentee ballot (although I guess I could have seen a sample ballot ahead of time and done the reasearch but I still would have had to take a cheat sheet with me to the polls to fill it out right). I also hand-delivered my absentee ballot so as not to risk it getting lost or delayed in the mail - a big problem in this state.

I have an hour between when the polls open and when I have to be at work. This being Northern Virginia & heavily enthusiastic Obama country, I'm sure I run the risk of being late for work. But I reeeeeeeally want to do this one in person! :hyper: I've heard that in my county, you can vote early AND in person at the local courthouse as long as you're not going to be in the district for most of Election Day. I'm looking into doing that....

I have an hour between when the polls open and when I have to be at work. This being Northern Virginia & heavily enthusiastic Obama country, I'm sure I run the risk of being late for work. But I reeeeeeeally want to do this one in person! :hyper: I've heard that in my county, you can vote early AND in person at the local courthouse as long as you're not going to be in the district for most of Election Day. I'm looking into doing that....

I've voted absentee in person in the past couple of years, it's nice to be able to go in and press the buttons on the touch screen thing. I haven't actually been able to vote on Election Day yet though because I've been away at school the whole time I've been registered :p

Well, I'm not Carek (shocking, I know), but if I were voting by mail, I'd probably have to "work on it" as well, since I am woefully ignorant of the local races and initiatives. I just got my state voters' pamphlet in the mail as well, and I want to read through it before just ranomly filling in circles for the local stuff.

But yeah, the presidential part of it - that's a no-brainer. ;)

:hmm:

I am in So Calif and there are a lot of issues, propositions, etc. on this ballot. I read all of the paraphernalia that accompanies an election before casting my vote. Sure it's easy to fill in the bubbles on a form-that's a no brainer, doesn't take much time at all. I am just not going to vote half-assed or by "eenie meanie miney moe" theory.

Oregon is a mail in state. My sister lives there. I wonder if this method would help avoid the problem with duplication of votes?

I live in Wash.State also and I got my mail-in ballot and plan on mailing it out on MONDAY too!!

Washington State FTW! :hi5:

I've seen loads of Obama signs around the Seattle area - no McCain signs.

Although that's not very surprising. I think Seattle historically is "blue," but the rest of the state tends to lean "red" ... unless I'm completely wrong. In which case, disregard everything after the bit about the signs. ;)

Although that's not very surprising. I think Seattle historically is "blue," but the rest of the state tends to lean "red" ... unless I'm completely wrong. In which case, disregard everything after the bit about the signs. ;)

You are right on about that...Eastern Wa is very RED, my parents live in Spokane and so does my brother and his family but they have always been progressive Democrats...thank God! Ofcoures they are big Obama supporters complete with signs and bumper stickers!

Since I am connected in various ways with the campaign for change :) I have noticed there is a war of signs going on where I live on the east side near Lake Samm.!! It was so funny, one day along my route on the way to work some McCain signs popped up along the roadside but then on the way home they disappeared. hahaha!! Funny. I have noticed several Veterans for Obama signs missing from their posts too so there is this subtle war going on with the signs...
I have heard of stories down south I think in Alabama or somewhere that people supporting Obama with signs and bumper stickers have been targets of hate crimes. One person had their Obama sign taken from their yard and then replaced with a "white pride" sign. OMG. People can be so hateful.

Speaking of sign wars..check this out...

I thought it was hilarious!! We have all contributed to the 150 million donation tally for September. Can you believe that? Incredible!!

obamasign1.jpg

Last edited:

My area's been inundated with Obama signs--not a single McCain sign. That is, until McCain came to VA a few days ago. Now, Obama has a 4:1 or 3:1 edge in some places---mainly on road islands, not in front of houses. I've also noticed that on some road islands where McCain signs have popped up, there happen to be fewer Obama signs than there used to be....:mad:

:lol:

That's frickin' awesome!!! :up:

Off topic, I know, but what does this 150 MILLION for September alone pay for? Who gets it, what do they do with it?

Advertising, mostly. Travel (all those campaign stops), campaign offices, phone banks, etc. Candidates don't get noticed in the US without lots and lots of cash.

Off topic, I know, but what does this 150 MILLION for September alone pay for? Who gets it, what do they do with it?

Advertising, mostly. Travel (all those campaign stops), campaign offices, phone banks, etc. Candidates don't get noticed in the US without lots and lots of cash.

Yeah, it sounds ridiculous, but tons will be spent on advertising. Like flushing money down the toilet, but you have to do it. Then, Obama is also putting a lot of money towards an unprecedentedly large field operation, which frankly is great - it is people to people, invigorating communities, countering the Bowling Alone trend (if you buy that), etc.

I'm voting "in-person absentee" next Thursday when I'll be able to get off work early. :hyper:

Hey, anyone who's voted early or thinking about it worried that all of these early votes will get lost or forgotten? I'd be lying if I said it hasn't crossed my mind.

I also wish that the media weren't allowed to report on it at all. There's been a decent amount of commentary on the fact that a larger proportion of the early voters have been Democrats. If they keep saying things like that, true or not, there's the potential for Dems to stay home on Election Day because they'll feel it's locked up, & for Repubs to come out stronger to prevent the sway. :eyebrow:

I sent in mine yesterday!! Last time I had to vote absentee for the presidential election too. I was living in DC, and with the commuter hell that is I-95 there was no way I'd make it to my district in time to vote.

I thought about becoming a resident of NY since I'll be here for quite some time, but, VA is at a very important place, politically. I'm going to keep my residence there to keep it shifting towards blue.

I thought about becoming a resident of NY since I'll be here for quite some time, but, VA is at a very important place, politically. I'm going to keep my residence there to keep it shifting towards blue.

:shifty:

some of us have retained our VA residency despite bouncing back and forth between there and the District for the past 5 years. we do this for precisely these reasons.

Mailed my federal write in absentee ballot today. I asked my mom to call the city and see when they'd mailed my absentee ballot that I haven't received - Oct 9. And the guy in the office told her that ballot is the only way my vote will be counted, which totally pisses me off because I have every right to vote via the federal write in, which was created precisely for situations where your state doesn't get you your absentee ballot on time. but it's unclear whether my vote in state elections (including 3 ballot questions i care about) will be counted. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom