The "Holy Shite - McCain Won Thread!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom and uncle can move to Canada since my great grandparents were Canadian. I'll have to sneak over the border if I can't force my mom to move.

Canada stole Melon from us. I'm jealous, frankly.

I wish I could say that it came down to principle or hating politicians, but it all came down to the fact that the U.S. is so steadfastly homophobic that there is absolutely no way for an American to bring a foreign partner into the U.S., unless that individual is accomplished enough to enter on unrelated work visas. Not all of us are doctors or unique Hollywood celebrities to qualify for these kinds of visas, so the vast majority of average binational gay couples are forced to either have the foreign partner stay in the U.S. illegally, if both countries are homophobic, or, in my case, where the other nation is gay friendly, move there.

So Canada it is for me. This is an ultimate example of why our haphazard "states' rights" policy towards gay rights is nonsense, because all 50 states still cannot trump what is the exclusive domain of the federal government, such as immigration.

I wish I could say that it came down to principle or hating politicians, but it all came down to the fact that the U.S. is so steadfastly homophobic that there is absolutely no way for an American to bring a foreign partner into the U.S., unless that individual is accomplished enough to enter on unrelated work visas. Not all of us are doctors or unique Hollywood celebrities to qualify for these kinds of visas, so the vast majority of average binational gay couples are forced to either have the foreign partner stay in the U.S. illegally, if both countries are homophobic, or, in my case, where the other nation is gay friendly, move there.

So Canada it is for me. This is an ultimate example of why our haphazard "states' rights" policy towards gay rights is nonsense, because all 50 states still cannot trump what is the exclusive domain of the federal government, such as immigration.

and here we have the economic argument for gay equality.

states that seek out and punish their gay citizens risk losing a fairly remarkable talent pool who will happily take their skills somewhere else where they'll be treated like human beings.

I'll bet "Joe the plummer" was a plant by McCain's camp.

SO let's pretend - what then?:doh:

Then we watch McCain shed his campaigning persona and become... the real McCain.. the McCain of 2000...

He stands his ground against the far right and works towards bipartisanship.. surrounding himself with intelligent and respected people and listens/learns from then. He listens to the people.

Palin honors her campaign promise to McCain and also works hard towards bipartisanship. She ends up amazing us all with her ability to unite our country.

Respect for the republican party is once again restored and our country works together for one and puts together policy that the majority is happy with.

Seriously... I had a lot of respect for McCain before this campaign and initially thought we couldn't lose with either candidate. Hopefully his current behavior is not representative to how he would be in office, but that he would behavior more like how he has during his work history.

Then we watch McCain shed his campaigning persona and become... the real McCain.. the McCain of 2000...

McCain must've been campaigning for at least the last 4 years. He sure as hell seemed to have forgotten who McCain 2000 was when he pushed hard for Bush's re-election in 2004.

I'll bet "Joe the plummer" was a plant by McCain's camp.

Curious:

America's most famous plumber said Thursday he doesn't have a license and doesn't need one.
He said the business consists of himself and owner Al Newell. Wurzelbacher said he's worked there for six years and that the two have talked about him talking over at some point.

Wurzelbacher was cited by John McCain Wednesday night as an example of someone who wants to buy a plumbing business but would be hurt by Barack Obama's tax plans.
Wurzelbacher said he was surprised that his name was mentioned so many other times.

Ohio's 'Joe the Plumber' says he has no license - Examiner.com

So he can afford to buy the business?. He better hurry, the election will be over next week and so will his 15 minutes of fame.

A two-man plumber business makes more than $250,000 a year? What do I do all this studying for?

That would be my only hope. I'd worry about his foreign policy though, since that hasn't changed much. Hopefully, the reality on the ground would keep him from causing too much damage. For example, I expect the Iraqis will want to see us leave Iraq soon and I would hope he wouldn't resist their express wishes.

Here's hoping this thread is on page 2 by Wednesday and not Part II.

untitled.jpg

i actually cannot wrap my head around a world where this happens.

Two years ago SurveyUSA held a poll with these 2 candidates. This would've been the outcome in the electoral college:
ecv-2006.png

Yes, that's 28 electoral votes for Obama (Illinois, Hawaii and DC). And only 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom