The "Holy Shite - McCain Won Thread!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's too bad that McCain's experiences as a POW are discounted, particularly by some of the people who don't support him. I think it gives McCain a unique perspective on the real costs of war. And what wars are worth waging.

i think it's less that they are discounted and more that they've been disproved as automatic qualifiers for the presidency.

i know it's unpopular, but i think his experiences as a POW work against my estimation of his qualification. i have respect for the man, can't imagine what he went through, but i do question his temperance. i say this as someone who has suffered from a degree of PTSD in the past year, and my issue isn't even a whisper of what McCain went through. he can't not be scarred. he can't not be damaged.

his judgment on the Iraq war and his enthusiasm for a confrontation with Iran ultimately belie your point above, and the Palin pick undermines any notion that McCain is a serious candidate with serious positions on anything, whether it be war, peace, taxes, or infrastructure.

If McCain wins, the sun will come up the next morning. Grass will still be green. The ocean still blue. Pizza will still taste good. Sex will still feel good. Our internet and our televisions will still work. Beautiful girls will still be beautiful. Puppies will still be cute. We will still be alive.

This is so stupid, it's actually quite funny.

You don't get your way in the election so you want to defect? Absolutely retarded!

Come On! McCain has got to be the most "liberal" republican we've seen in a long time. You make him out to be Hitler or something.

if McCain wins, i predict an awful 4 years of an incredibly bitter population, especially amongst african-americans and youth, and the increased exacerbation of the bifurcation of the population into "us" and "them" (i.e., "real Americans" and "urban elites.")

I plan on pulling an all nighter on Nov. 4.
I will not go to sleep until a winner is announced.
In this country that could be January, but anyway...
If McCain wins, well, I'm pretty sure I'll be drinking quite a bit over the next 4 years.
Compound that with how much I've drank in the last 8, I think I'm gonna have a real problem on my hands.
How much does crack cost these days?

if McCain wins, i predict an awful 4 years of an incredibly bitter population, especially amongst african-americans and youth, and the increased exacerbation of the bifurcation of the population into "us" and "them" (i.e., "real Americans" and "urban elites.")

Irvine,

You make it sound as if Obama holds 90% of the popular vote. Keep it in mind that this election is still close. It doesn't matter who wins or loses, there will be a bitter segment of the population.
No matter who wins, the "bifurcation" (I had to look this word up) of the population will also continue.

This is so stupid, it's actually quite funny.

You don't get your way in the election so you want to defect? Absolutely retarded!

Come On! McCain has got to be the most "liberal" republican we've seen in a long time. You make him out to be Hitler or something.

Eight years ago. He's not much different than any other Republican now, including Bush.

Irvine,

You make it sound as if Obama holds 90% of the popular vote. Keep it in mind that this election is still close. It doesn't matter who wins or loses, there will be a bitter segment of the population.
No matter who wins, the "bifurcation" (I had to look this word up) of the population will also continue.

it doesn't matter what the percentage is. the perception, based on the polls, is that Obama is going to win by 7-10%.

if he doesn't, it's going to be a shocker, and one that will likely be blamed on racism, and conspiracy theories.

you also can't discount the fact that Obama's supporters are *very* enthusiastic, McCain's aren't.

and i totally disagree with your final statement. the McCain/Palin campaign is predicated upon the time-tested Nixon in '68 strategy which is pitching the "good folks" against "them" -- look at the language they're using in Western Pennsylvania.

I plan on pulling an all nighter on Nov. 4.
I will not go to sleep until a winner is announced.
In this country that could be January, but anyway...
If McCain wins, well, I'm pretty sure I'll be drinking quite a bit over the next 4 years.
Compound that with how much I've drank in the last 8, I think I'm gonna have a real problem on my hands.
How much does crack cost these days?

$200 or so for an 8-ball.

Eight years ago. He's not much different than any other Republican now, including Bush.

Regardless of where McCain is (or was) on the political spectrum, it's still completely childish to suggest moving to another country if one doesn't get his or her political way.

If that happens, God forbid and knock on all possible wood..I just believe that this country is in for at least 4 more years of failure, wrong direction. Whatever you want to call it. On many levels.

I hope the Phillies win and McCain loses. It makes the baby Evan Longoria cry.

Regardless of where McCain is (or was) on the political spectrum, it's still completely childish to suggest moving to another country if one doesn't get his or her political way.

It's not about getting your way or not, like whether or not your parents allow you to go out with your friends. It's about much bigger issues than that.

And most people who actually say these things seriously are in a position where they can move with little effect on their normal life. Maybe they were thinking about moving and this put them over the edge.

I don't think it's unreasonable to state that a country moving in an opposite direction from a citizen could drive that citizen to move.

it doesn't matter what the percentage is. the perception, based on the polls, is that Obama is going to win by 7-10%.

if he doesn't, it's going to be a shocker, and one that will likely be blamed on racism, and conspiracy theories.

you also can't discount the fact that Obama's supporters are *very* enthusiastic, McCain's aren't.

and i totally disagree with your final statement. the McCain/Palin campaign is predicated upon the time-tested Nixon in '68 strategy which is pitching the "good folks" against "them" -- look at the language they're using in Western Pennsylvania.
What language are you referring to?

but not getting my "political way" means that there are rights that will not be available to me, and could actually be taken away from me in certain states. there's also the SCOTUS.

there are many compelling reasons to want to leave a country. not to storm off in anger, but because the various rights you once enjoyed have been overturned.

Dude, you just don't want us all to move into your country. I get it. :tsk:

Don't worry, though. We Americans talk a big game----thousands of us said the same thing 4 years ago, but not too many of us are now Canucks.

What language are you referring to?

we can set aside the race-baiting, made up story of the Obama "mugger" -- it was the McCain campaign, not the faker, who stated that the backwards "B" stood for black Barack -- and focus on McCain saying that Western PA had the "most patriotic, most God-loving" population in America. we can look at Palin's speeches were she says that Obama doesn't see things the way that "you and i do."

it's all about increasing the sense of a black man named Barack Hussein Obama as too "other" to vote for in the minds of many white (usually older) people.

it's quite a credit to BHO that he's overcome this in large part.

I personally think Eastern PA is better than Western PA. There may be some bias there.

I personally think Eastern PA is better than Western PA. There may be some bias there.

is it bad that i actually love Pittsburgh? it has such an amazing skyline, so many distinct neighborhoods, a genuine local culture and accent ... though i will say that i have been to the Western PA area they keep talking about, and i was floored at how bifurcated (there's that word again ...) that area is. literally, black people are on one side of the Ohio River and the white people are on the other.

and the mills have all closed and everyone's kind of screwed and have been since the 80s. it was like living in a Springsteen song.

is it bad that i actually love Pittsburgh? it has such an amazing skyline, so many distinct neighborhoods, a genuine local culture and accent ... though i will say that i have been to the Western PA area they keep talking about, and i was floored at how bifurcated (there's that word again ...) that area is. literally, black people are on one side of the Ohio River and the white people are on the other.

and the mills have all closed and everyone's kind of screwed and have been since the 80s. it was like living in a Springsteen song.

I think the city of Pittsburgh is vastly underrated. They've really built it up since the flood in '96. I've been there five times. It's a great place to stay in.

Everything else out there is brutal, though.

Central PA is similar: the cities of Harrisburg and Lancaster are nice, but most of the other areas are a huge mixed bag.

I think the city of Pittsburgh is vastly underrated. They've really built it up since the flood in '96. I've been there five times. It's a great place to stay in.

Everything else out there is brutal, though.

Central PA is similar: the cities of Harrisburg and Lancaster are nice, but most of the other areas are a huge mixed bag.

i do like Philly, and i am rooting for the Phillies as well. :up:

Sweet. I like Philly, too, though I can understand why out-of-towners can be turned away. It's got its good and its bad.

And the Fightin' Phils ... what else can I say?

I was born five miles from Philly and live about twenty miles away. The area's absolutely ecstatic right now.

the McCain/Palin campaign is predicated upon the time-tested Nixon in '68 strategy which is pitching the "good folks" against "them" -- look at the language they're using in Western Pennsylvania.

It goes much further back in our history than Nixon. Andrew Jackson is generally given the honor of being the first president to campaign on the 'man of the people' vs 'the elitists' idea. In 1824 and 1828.

It goes much further back in our history than Nixon. Andrew Jackson is generally given the honor of being the first president to campaign on the 'man of the people' vs 'the elitists' idea. In 1824 and 1828.

that sounds like something an elitist would say.

Back
Top Bottom