The Heartless - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 AM
I think the issue with restaurant food are regulations about it, not that they don't want anyone else to have it. I've had my order messed up at several places and they always let me keep the mistake food and get my correct order (including McD's), because once they touch it/open it/whatever they can't take it back and give to anyone else even if it's fine.

My mom works and volunteers for a few non-profits and they are always receiving food as long as it's unopened. Many places give them stuff that is "expired" thus no longer allowed to be sold, but perfectly good. They often have so much that even the volunteers are allowed to take stuff home.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Indeed, with food you cannot take it back and sell it again if it was given out once. Also, they are not allowed to keep food lying for more than 15 minutes (at least that's the time frame here in Germany). That's why they have shifted away a bit from batch production of pretty much everything to just having a few hamburgers etc. in the shelves and making everything else fresh when you order it. Well, fresh is relative to fast food.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I like some of it OK but I guess I never thought of it as really fashion conscious as far as price/quality.
H&M is great if you dont want clothes that fit properly...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I thought that was their gimmick - cheap clothes.
Cheap, but also trendy. A product may lose its trendiness if "undesirable" people are seen wearing it en masse.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I think the issue with restaurant food are regulations about it, not that they don't want anyone else to have it. I've had my order messed up at several places and they always let me keep the mistake food and get my correct order (including McD's), because once they touch it/open it/whatever they can't take it back and give to anyone else even if it's fine.
In high school once, I bought some food from McDonald's at closing time, and I think mentioned they were going to throw away the extra burgers sitting there. I asked for an extra one, and they gave it to me. I did a online search, and the reason for not giving it away seems to be fear of lawsuits (e.g. food poisoning). I think the time limit thing also applies (as mentioned above).
Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Indeed a retailer need be mindful of brand identity. In this case a PR mea culpa.

H and M Says It Will No Longer Destroy Unworn Garments - NYTimes.com

The clothing retailer H & M promised on Wednesday to stop destroying new, unworn clothing that it cannot sell at its store in Herald Square, and would instead donate the garments to charities.

The practice was discovered by Cynthia Magnus, a graduate student at the City University of New York, who found bags of unworn but mutilated clothing that had been thrown away by H & M on West 35th Street. She also found bags of new Wal-Mart garments with holes punched through them.

After Ms. Magnus wrote to H & M’s headquarters in Sweden and got no response, she contacted The New York Times. More slashed clothing was found Monday night on 35th Street and reported in the About New York column on Wednesday.

“It will not happen again,” said Nicole Christie, a spokeswoman for H & M in New York. “We are committed 100 percent to make sure this practice is not happening anywhere else, as it is not our standard practice.”

Ms. Christie said it was H & M’s policy to donate unworn clothing to charitable groups. She said that she did not know why the store on 34th Street was slashing the clothes, and that the company was checking to make sure that none of its other stores were doing so.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Melissa Hill, said she had been unable to learn why new clothing with the store’s tags had been destroyed, but added that the company typically donated or recycled such items.

One charitable program, the New York Clothing Bank, was set up by the city when Edward I. Koch was mayor to accept unworn clothing and to protect the retailers from people who might use the donations to get store credit or undercut sales.

“I would welcome H & M, Wal-Mart and every enterprise that presently is destroying new clothing to call me immediately,” said Mary Lanning, chairwoman of the Clothing Bank
Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe a social/moral conscience would compel them to donate this clothing? Such a thing still exists sometimes, hopefully.There's something fundamentally wrong about bags of clothing that people could be wearing being intentionally damaged and sitting in trash bags.

I bet H&M makes quite a profit off of the inexpensive clothes they sell. Nothing wrong with sharing some of their excess.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
You mean a PR conscience.

Just take a look down the production chain and you'll see how far their CSR goes. How else would you explain the prices?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:25 AM
What's odd is that I understand H&M thinking from a snooty fashion sense although the solution is pretty easy, wait a season, outlet stores, etc but WalMart?! Who the hell are they fooling?