The GOP News Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may sound like a "Oh look, the GOP is being bad again" type of post, but it can't be avoided:

The bill, filed Monday by two GOP lawmakers from Rowan County and backed by nine other Republicans, says each state "is sovereign" and courts cannot block a state "from making laws respecting an establishment of religion." The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayer, wral.com reported.
The religion bill comes as some Republican-led states seek to separate themselves from the federal government, primarily on the issues of guns and Obamacare. This includes a proposal in Mississippi to establish a state board with the power to nullify federal laws.
The North Carolina bill's main sponsors, state Reps. Carl Ford (R-China Grove) and Harry Warren (R-Salisbury), could not be reached for comment on Tuesday, The Salisbury Post reported. Co-sponsors include House Majority Leader Edgar Starnes (R-Hickory). Another is state Rep. Larry Pittman (R-Concord), who in February introduced a state constitutional amendment that would allow for carrying concealed weapons to fight federal "tyranny."
The bill says the First Amendment only applies to the federal government and does not stop state governments, local governments and school districts from adopting measures that defy the Constitution. The legislation also says that the Tenth Amendment, which says powers not reserved for the federal government belong to the states, prohibits court rulings that would seek to apply the First Amendment to state and local officials.

North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

North Carolina also bans anyone who doesn't believe in God from public office. I take it only Protestant Christians are allowed.

This is insane. It sounds like the GOP knows its dying, and it fighting tooth and nail to survive, only to make fools out themselves.

My radical conservative sister lives in North Carolina. She must be dancing over this. How did we manage to be related?

trojanchick99 said:
How has the law barring those who don't believe in God NOT been challenged? That cannot possibly be constitutional.

I heard the state has a big atheist movement. They should be challenging this if they're not because it doesn't make sense.

Still, he acknowledged it's not easy to work with the Senate, where he said "no doubt about it," cloture is being abused. He didn't spare the Republican Party his criticism, saying they need to "close for repairs" and come up with more plans and a vision for the future before the end of the year. Wallace asked him whether he'd even fit in with the Republican Party today.

"I doubt it," Dole replied. "Reagan wouldn't have made it, certainly Nixon wouldn't have made it, because he had ideas. We might have made it, but I doubt it.

Bob Dole On Congress: Gridlock 'Almost Unreal'

If Bob Dole is saying even Reagan wouldn't be accepted into the GOP if he were alive today, that speaks volumes of what has become of the party. I wonder what neo-conservatives who have those WWRD? bumper stickers would say to that comment.

As hard right as Reagan was, and became under the sway of his ideological mentors, he started out as an FDR Democrat. It was the 'Red Menace' that gradually turned him. So no, he definitely wouldn't fit in today's GOP. Nixon is practically a hippie communist compared to these guys.

*Media Hyperbole Alert - Misleading headline*

Still, a fairly worthless bill.

True, but it still begs the question: what the hell is wrong with Arizona? It's almost becoming a monthly ritual to see some absolutely absurd backwards law being proposed by their Republicans.

I don't think stuff like that is going to matter too much. Sort of like Robert Gates new book that said both HRC and Biden admitted to opposing the Iraq surge in 2007 for political reasons. Whatever the case, there's dirt on everyone.

I believe 2016 will be just like 2012 - a referendum on the big picture. The GOP, barring some major overhauls, stands little chance to win the WH regardless. If they agree to immigration reform, maybe that begins to change. Until then - no.

I think it matters a lot

The rational GOP want Christie, they see him as their 'best' chance, which he probably is. McCain in 2004 and Romney in 2012 were the best the GOP had, other choices would have been complete blowouts like Goldwater in 64.

But now all the more Conservative GOP will be relentless against Christie, his one big playing card was that he was competent, and bi-partisan. This total fuck up puts out on main stage that that was always bullshit. This blowhard, with his populace ways, does not deserve the praise and accolades he has gotten.

Of course anything can happen in 2016. The race does not go to the swiftest and best.
It is only a two horse final race. A 3 legged horse can win.
George Bush proved that, if the other horse has 2 broken legs.

Following from afar, Christie isn't liked by the rest of GOP, so he was unlikely to get their support, these issues currently are not likely to endear him to undecideds and certainly not to any democrats who may have previously liked him.

Does this mean he is dead in the water? Or can he ride it out?

Following from afar, Christie isn't liked by the rest of GOP, so he was unlikely to get their support, these issues currently are not likely to endear him to undecideds and certainly not to any democrats who may have previously liked him.

Does this mean he is dead in the water? Or can he ride it out?

I think many in the Republican elite had already crowned Christie for the nomination. Like they did with McCain, Romney and the Bushes. Both Goldwater and Reagan, two true conservative outsiders had to fight to win the nomination.

I think this has stopped Christies nomination. If they try or he attempts, it will be a tough row to plow. Doing a two hour, often rambling, press conference did not help him. He seemed angry at times and presented a negative demeanor.

In a way, it's too bad. My sense is he will survive, but the primaries are going to be tough for an "ethnic" like him, and some will hate him forever because he seems to like Obama, and you're not going to get very far with the GOP base if you don't paint O as anything less than the antiChrist.

I could consider voting for him, because he's from the northeast and you can't be a caveman when it comes to social issues and survive up here. And he doesn't seem like an Ayn Rand-toting free market idiot ideologue either. But I don't know too much about what really goes on in NJ, so I might just be responding to the positive media attention he usually gets.

Back
Top Bottom