The Good News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Bendy-buses with the slogan "There's probably no God" could soon be running on the streets of London.
The atheist posters are the idea of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and have been supported by prominent atheist Professor Richard Dawkins.
The BHA planned only to raise £5,500, which was to be matched by Professor Dawkins, but it has now raised more than £36,000 of its own accord.
It aims to have two sets of 30 buses carrying the signs for four weeks.
The complete slogan reads: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
As the campaign has raised more than anticipated, it will also have posters on the inside of buses as well.
The BHA is also considering extending the campaign to cities including Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh.
Professor Dawkins said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride - automatic tax breaks, unearned respect and the right not to be offended, the right to brainwash children.

"Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side.
"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion."
Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the BHA, said: "We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation, that I feel sure that a bus advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air.
"If it raises a smile as well as making people think, so much the better."
But Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

"I should be surprised if a quasi-religious advertising campaign like this did not attract graffiti.
"People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good, but they still don't like it."
However the Methodist Church said it thanked Professor Dawkins for encouraging a "continued interest in God".
Spirituality and discipleship officer Rev Jenny Ellis said: "This campaign will be a good thing if it gets people to engage with the deepest questions of life."
She added: "Christianity is for people who aren't afraid to think about life and meaning."
The buses with the slogans will run in Westminster from January.
BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | 'No God' slogans for city's buses

But Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

Are they still too stupid for bendy-busses? :D

:reject: Sorry

:wink:

One might should add: Bendy-busses were introduced to London only a few years ago and since both drivers and passers-by are not really used to this kind of bus there happened a few accidents with those busses. Hence, some want them removed from their streets again.
In Germany we have had bendy-busses for decades so they are no more risky than any other kind of bus.

I don't really see the dire need for advertisements for atheists. On the other hand, I guess this Stephen Green guy gives a good argument why atheists (and probably agnostics as well) might have good reason for some PR. And churches have their advertisements practically everywhere, so why complaining when atheists put out theirs?

It's funny and sad to watch atheists become proselytizers, but I suppose it was inevitable.

^^You put my feelings in words. :) I'm not entirely sure if it's really necessary, but from what I've gathered this Dawkins guy likes to be very open about his non-believe.

On the other hand, maybe we agnostics and atheists really should go into the public a bit more to counter those from the religious side that can spout their hatred without anyone objecting.

Well unbelievers simply don't need to be; there is no need for awe inspiring ceremony, priests, clerics or any tools of enforcing doctrine, unbelief is not a faith based position and one doesn't need the opinions of others to validate it.

On a political standpoint I think that maximising freedom is a legitimate position and part of that includes freedom of belief, namely secularism, which guarantees that the state is not promoting or persecuting people for what they believe, it protects belief as much as it does unbelief. There should be no compulsion in religion, and that includes the use of state force to take my tax money which then gets passed on to religious organisations, or gives them an honoured tax-free status that more secular groups wouldn't get.

Defending against religiously inspired governance is where any battleground is, and getting the offensive facts that invalidate literalism out there is probably a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom