The God Questions - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #31
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Have you? I don't think you have, have you?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Please, this isn't about me

Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post

I don't know myself, tbh. Can I pass on answering? I find it very hard to explain.
I'm pretty sure Jive Turkey is kidding. I started the thread. You get a pass.

An atheist believes in no god, Christian or otherwise, in any form, no higher power. An agnostic has some wiggle room.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

An atheist doesn't believe in any gods.

An agnostic doesn't know if any gods exist.

You can be both. As I don't know if any gods exist, as with unicorns. Guess they could. I just haven't seen any evidence to suggest they do. So I do not believe
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Difference noted. I've just seen more agnostics shift between belief and unbelief. An agnostic can be steadily indifferent/nonbelieving or vacillate between belief and nonbelief as one might not believe in fairies, but leave a treat for them just in case--or not believe in ghosts, but would rather not be in a cemetery at midnight. Sometimes logic and primal/superstition conflict. Hence, wiggle room.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
As I don't know if any gods exist, as with unicorns. Guess they could. I just haven't seen any evidence to suggest they do. So I do not believe
Often referred to as a Teapot Atheist
Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Buddhists don't actually believe in God do they? They are few New Age groups that practice spiritual development, such as meditating, but don't actually believe in God. I've met a few of them in my life. Many are lapsed Christians.

Is it possible to be an atheist and a spiritualist or do you think that means your agnostic?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
Buddhists don't actually believe in God do they? They are few New Age groups that practice spiritual development, such as meditating, but don't actually believe in God. I've met a few of them in my life. Many are lapsed Christians.

Is it possible to be an atheist and a spiritualist or do you think that means your agnostic?
The Buddha never explored the existence of a god. The most he did was say that it was too complicated and unnecessary to wrap one's mind around.

I've heard about atheists declaring themselves spiritual, though I personally find it hard to understand. I see spirituality as having a relationship with God and seeing the divine everywhere. But others have different definitions of spirituality though.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I've heard about atheists declaring themselves spiritual, though I personally find it hard to understand. I see spirituality as having a relationship with God and seeing the divine everywhere. But others have different definitions of spirituality though.
I'd probably consider myself more of an agnostic than a true atheist, and am probably as far from 'spiritual' as you can get, but I can kind of understand being both. I'm thinking of the weird 'mother earth' spiritual types.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Buddha probably has the right thinking. The "what is out there" is so large that its most definitely infinite. Is there a god? Is there multiple gods? Who created them? What are they made of? It's just more complexity.

Live a good life. Everything else will sort itself out. If you need a belief, ok then.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Buddha probably has the right thinking. The "what is out there" is so large that its most definitely infinite. Is there a god? Is there multiple gods? Who created them? What are they made of? It's just more complexity.

Live a good life. Everything else will sort itself out. If you need a belief, ok then.
And besides, there's a saying that anyone who claims to know God, doesn't know Him at all.

It's a good saying and that's what I think of when radicals say "This is God's will!" - and that could be Christian or Muslim or any kind of religious extremists. Really, they know God so well? Because I would think if God was so easy to figure out, wouldn't life be simpler, other people be easy to figure out, and science easy to explore? I think God is as complex as the world is.

As for who or what created God or the universe itself, that's even something I can't wrap my mind around. If I find myself wondering about what created the Big Bang, then I'd want to go back and ask what created that? And that? And that? Time seems to have no beginning and it is both astounding and baffling.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:15 PM
I return again to my pet theory that God, if such a thing exists, may be the Final Mind of a previous universe. After that, unfortunately, it's turtles all the way down. Lots of turtles, potentially.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

I wonder how many will understand that reference....
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #44
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:15 AM
It can be argued that some sects of Buddhism believe in gods, as bodhisattvas can take on this type of "deity" role. It varies vastly from sect to sect though, more so than many westerners are used to with Christianity.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
It can be argued that some sects of Buddhism believe in gods, as bodhisattvas can take on this type of "deity" role. It varies vastly from sect to sect though, more so than many westerners are used to with Christianity.
I guess this depends on what we mean by a god. If we are talking about something that transcends physicality and "normal" human experience, then I would say bodhisattvas are definitely gods. If we are talking about a supernatural being with direct power over the workings of the world, then they don't quite fit that mold.

The only question in this thread to which I want to respond is the one about the "War on Christmas." There is by no means a war on Christmas. If anything, there is a war on the part of militant Christians to impose Christmas on everyone regardless of willingness to participate.