The God Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me "look it up" means that what he would post himself would just be a cut and paste job anyway. At least digest what you're reading and shit it out all over me under your own volition

Please forgive me Your Grace. I've been away from FYM for 3 months and didn't get the memo that providing links or videos to support or elaborate on a statement was tantamount to "a cut and paste job."

Forgive me as well for mistaking you as someone wishing to actually engage someone with different answers than yourself on "The God questions."

Perhaps another thread?

After reading the last few pages, I think my only comment is that I do not understand how "You can't prove that God doesn't exist" is in any way a valid argument. If anyone could elaborate on why that should even enter the discussion, I'd like to discuss that.

Everyone has made every argument imaginable on this topic and they've all failed.

Look it up.

Please forgive me Your Grace. I've been away from FYM for 3 months and didn't get the memo that providing links or videos to support or elaborate on a statement was tantamount to "a cut and paste job."

Forgive me as well for mistaking you as someone wishing to actually engage someone with different answers than yourself on "The God questions."

Perhaps another thread?

It's "Your Splendor", but whatever.

I'm actually very interested in what others have to say. I was even interested in what you had to say. If you can't take a playful ribbing for posting a garbage video (anything particularly harsh I had to say was directed at the halfwit in the video), then I can't help you.
You're a smart guy; you can muster up something with more substance than posting a link in response or telling people to look things up (I'm on the internet; if I wasn't interested in the actual conversation, I could just look up everything I wanted to know, but it's not as fun).
You also don't have tissue paper skin, so stop acting so offended. A playful jab back is more than welcome.

After reading the last few pages, I think my only comment is that I do not understand how "You can't prove that God doesn't exist" is in any way a valid argument. If anyone could elaborate on why that should even enter the discussion, I'd like to discuss that.

Is like when you're a kid and someone calls you a name, and then instead of a real comeback, you reply with, "no, you are!" It isn't an argument at all.

The arguing about God's existence stuff is kind of a pointless exercise, plus its also the wrong way to approach believer's if you want to actually debate how their beliefs may impact others.

Personally I'm fairly atheist, I tend to think though that if God does exist in the way he is represented in the Bible, then he's more of a monster than anything else. I find it difficult to comprehend Christians who sort of airbrush those sections of the Bible aside, as they have kind of invented their own God without the bad bits. What I'm trying to say is if you ignore all this stuff God is meant to have done, you are leaving out so much why bother believing at all?

Other things would bother me within the context of the Bible. For instance the flood and Noah. Are we really meant to believe there were no good people in the world other than Noah and his family? No good people in Sodom and Gomorrah but Lots family ?(and they were pretty messed up). It's kind of like killing everyone in Iran because of they have a lot of bad leaders, but surely you can't believe every single person in the country is evil or wicked because the nation as a whole isn't great?

What did Jesus look like?

I think He looked like any other man from the Middle East - dark hair, dark eyes, olive skin. I don't buy that Jesus was blond and blue-eyed because people like that weren't indigenous to that region.

I personally don't like arguments over whether Jesus was blond or black. Not only does it not make sense, for reasons that I mentioned above, but does it really matter? If there was some way to find out what He truly looked like and He was a white, blond haired blue eyed man, or a black man, should that really determine if He is worth following? I've heard some so-called Christians say they could never worshop a black Jesus. I also once read an article about Muslim converts and a black man said he became a Muslim so he wouldn't have to worship a white man. Those two attitudes are very sad, and not godly at all.

The History Channel came up with this:

Face-of-Jesus.jpg

Apparently Adrien Brody is the Messiah.

tumblr_m2dicvVX411r9ncflo1_500.jpg

I think He looked like any other man from the Middle East - dark hair, dark eyes, olive skin. I don't buy that Jesus was blond and blue-eyed because people like that weren't indigenous to that region.

I personally don't like arguments over whether Jesus was blond or black. Not only does it not make sense, for reasons that I mentioned above, but does it really matter? If there was some way to find out what He truly looked like and He was a white, blond haired blue eyed man, or a black man, should that really determine if He is worth following? I've heard some so-called Christians say they could never worshop a black Jesus. I also once read an article about Muslim converts and a black man said he became a Muslim so he wouldn't have to worship a white man. Those two attitudes are very sad, and not godly at all.

Oh please. There is an important point to be made when debunking what Jesus' image had been stretched to be when churches get involved.

PhilsFan said:
Oh please. There is an important point to be made when debunking what Jesus' image had been stretched to be when churches get involved.

Maybe I'm just tired, but this post doesn't make any sense.

Maybe I'm just tired, but this post doesn't make any sense.

I disagreed with the sentiment that it is pointless to argue over what Jesus looked like. I think the fact that most people think he was a thin white guy makes a significant impact on the conversation.

PhilsFan said:
I disagreed with the sentiment that it is pointless to argue over what Jesus looked like. I think the fact that most people think he was a thin white guy makes a significant impact on the conversation.

This I understand. Thanks.

While our speculation has no impact on what Jesus actually looked like, I would agree that the portrayal of Jesus as basically Scandinavian in appearance is unrealistic and potentially alienating. In that sense, I agree with you, Peef. I also agree with Pearl that being a Christian because of an uninformed interpretation of his possible appearance is completely ludicrous.

This I agree with, and I do believe it is necessary to insist Jesus was not a blond blue-eyed man. I think you might've read my post wrong or I worded it wrong :shrug:

As it's also too simplistic to call it all politics. I didn't say religion, and only religion, was the cause of ever war.

Oh I thought you did, sorry about that. No, political theories and religion are just abstract ideas. I know it's stating the obvious but people cause war, and if the human race didn't have such a need for power, then planet Earth would be a much better place.

In other news, the Pope is stepping down. Bono is favourite for the new title after atheist Richard Dawkins. Not that I am or ever have been a Catholic.

Back
Top Bottom