The God choice - USA Today Op-Ed - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:51 PM
I like how the guy is a Jewish atheist that sees the Virgin Mary and then becomes a Buddhist. Talk about religion shopping.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:51 PM
haha, that is pretty funny.

but yes, we should get back on topic if possible. What has always held my curiosity is what did earlier man think of the voice we all have in our head?

Could that have been attributed to people thinking a God is speaking to them? Could some sort of brain damage affect the voice and change it into something different? Or have multiple voices....again mistaking a 2nd voice as one of divinity?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I like how the guy is a Jewish atheist that sees the Virgin Mary and then becomes a Buddhist. Talk about religion shopping.

the more i learn about Buddhism -- at least as it's practiced in the west -- the more it appears to be able to exist happily alongside many, many different belief systems.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I hardly see how cartesian dualism is more elegant than materialist explanations of mind.
It's not -- unless your bias as a "religion correspondent" comes into play.

There is so much uncharted territory when it comes to brain research. We're only just beginning to have the technology available to us to answer some of these questions. Just because some of these questions remain unanswered (for now) does not mean that a supernatural entity is the cause of these phenomena.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
What one believes does not dictate how reality operates, and I hardly see how cartesian dualism is more elegant than materialist explanations of mind.

^
Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Beav!

(eta - that smiley looks as if it's suffered a significant brain injury)
Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I like how brain damage leads him to all these new religions
Old 07-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
God works in mysterious ways....
Old 07-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
There is so much uncharted territory when it comes to brain research. We're only just beginning to have the technology available to us to answer some of these questions. Just because some of these questions remain unanswered (for now) does not mean that a supernatural entity is the cause of these phenomena.
So, when someone who believes in a God, prays to that Higher Being, and then has a spiritual experience (ie, a voice, an epiphany, a calmer effect, etc), was that supposed to be simply a coincidence that their brain reacted and gave that sort of effect just as that person was asking for an answer?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
So, when someone who believes in a God, prays to that Higher Being, and then has a spiritual experience (ie, a voice, an epiphany, a calmer effect, etc), was that supposed to be simply a coincidence that their brain reacted and gave that sort of effect just as that person was asking for an answer?
Sometimes, perhaps. Mostly though it's less of a coincidence, and more a matter of the power of suggestion.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Not a coincidence at all. The fact that the person believes in a God in the first place is the reason they're attributing the 'spiritual experience' to a higher being. Its a self fulfilling prophecy
Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Sometimes, perhaps. Mostly though it's less of a coincidence, and more a matter of the power of suggestion.
Forgive me for not understanding, but what do you mean by "power of suggestion"?

Because the way I see it, when someone is asking for an answer and gets it just because something ignited in the brain or the cells were working at a particular time together or whatever, that is not a coincidence to me. It's too much of a coincidence to be one. It says to me that there exists a higher energy force, or God as I like to call it.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

not a coincidence, but that it's still a closed circuit. the brain itself produced that spiritual experience, there was no outside party that entered the picture.

that's the thinking, and i'm inclined these days to agree with it. there's only us, there's only this, no day but today, etc.

but simply because it's a closed circuit doesn't mean that certain event isn't true, or maybe it's better described as authentic.

you could have an authentic religious experience, but that doesn't mean that an objectively known deity had anything to do with it, nor does it prove the existence of an objective deity.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Not a coincidence at all. The fact that the person believes in a God in the first place is the reason they're attributing the 'spiritual experience' to a higher being. Its a self fulfilling prophecy
So we have the power to create our spiritual experiences?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i've spoken to some addicts on the phone recently for work, and they've all described what's proverbially known as a "moment of clarity" that then involves some sort of giving over one's life to a Higher Power of some sort.

i don't doubt the authenticity of their experiences, and i think that "power of suggestion" is a bit too clinical to describe the complexity of the experience.

however, simply because an addict falls to his knees one night and cries out to God and then suddenly God answers him does not mean that God, objectively, exists, but nor can this experience be quickly explained. authenticity and objectivity are not the same thing.