The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which Chimay do you prefer? (how do you pronounce it? is it like "chy" or "kai"?) i have a red one in the fridge now.

i bought beefeater thanks to your suggestion. i haven't opened it yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

grey goose gets me into trouble. i try to keep away from it.
\

The Red one is my favorite. No contest. I say Shim Ay. I have no idea if it's correct. No one's crazy enough to correct me if I'm wrong. I got crazy eyes.

For those Belgian beer fans out there - I highly recommend Unibroue - they're a canadian brewery that specializes in Belgian style beer - and I've yet to be disappointed with anything they've made. I especially like their Maudite and La Fin du Monde.

And for authentic Belgian beer - check out Het Anker - especially their Gouden Carolus Grand Cru - which is quite possibly the tastiest beer I've ever had (the Trappiste even had it on tap for a while... :drool: ).

Noted. Though Unibroue sounds like Unibrow and I'd too paranoid to drink it cause it sounds like someone playing a joke on me. And no one is crazy enough to play a joke on me. I got crazy eyes.

\

The Red one is my favorite. No contest. I say Shim Ay. I have no idea if it's correct. No one's crazy enough to correct me if I'm wrong. I got crazy eyes.

Noted. Though Unibroue sounds like Unibrow and I'd too paranoid to drink it cause it sounds like someone playing a joke on me. And no one is crazy enough to play a joke on me. I got crazy eyes.

Does Unibroue rhyme with Unico?

\

i lived for over a year in Brussels. i consumed many beers. thus, i am an authority.

on dit "Schee-May." moi, je prefere Chimay Bleu.

i was also a big fan of Duvel.

Vincent: not all American beer is crap! only most of it! try out some local microbreweries, and stay away from the Bud/Miller/Coors stuff. try Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, etc.

I drink beer and sometimes absinthe and scotch, but usually beer, of which I drink all sorts of different types. And I'm not a beer elitist, to that big an extent anyway. I'll go with a Heineken when I'm out, see. No worries. Can't stand Coronas and the piss American and Australian beers, though. I have sculled a Four X Gold one or two times before, I won't deny that - but only because it's basically water.

Belgian beer is my favourite, by far - although I've gotten into more Australian and Kiwi microbrews lately, companies like Monteith's, Matilda Bay, Mountain Goat and Little Creatures have a good variety of stuff. Had a really nice stout made just north of Adelaide by a little country near the end of winter, one of the nicest I've ever tried. Only real problem is that they're often even more costy than imports.

Unibroue's Trois Pistoles is one of my favourite winter beers. Go forth, Beav, and try the crazy goodness. Your eyes will be just fine.

i lived for over a year in Brussels. i consumed many beers. thus, i am an authority.

on dit "Schee-May." moi, je prefere Chimay Bleu.

i was also a big fan of Duvel.

Vincent: not all American beer is crap! only most of it! try out some local microbreweries, and stay away from the Bud/Miller/Coors stuff. try Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, etc.

thanks for that! i'll never pronounce it wrong again!!!

VV- I gotta echo the Magic Hat. It is my fav domestic beer. It's amazing on tap too, so if you find a bar that has it, hit it up fo sho! Blue Moon also has a nice Harvest Moon flavor this time of year. I'm also a fan of Yuengling and Woodchuck.

Awww, look at this thread thriving! I hope Dreadsox sees how popular it's become. :love:

I can't drink red wine anymore - I've developed an allergy to it, where I'll get all stuffed up. Although it might not just be red wine. Sometimes I get it with champagne as well, and sometimes even with plain old liquor. It's hard to tell when I'm plugged up due to drinking, or due to regular allergies.

I don't care for beer, and when I'm in the rare mood for one, I go for the cheap, watery piss stuff, because I can't take "real" beers. Blech. I do like a Hefeweizen now and again.

I LOVE cider ale, though. Man, that stuff is good.

I used to drink wine a lot. I never had a chance to develop a real taste for different ones, I'm already completely sick of stuff. I can't have a sip of red without remembering a lot of heavy nights, or feeling a bit off - quite likely a have an allergy to one of the preservatives commonly used in reds, as my brother does. I think that's one of the reasons I started to prefer beer much more.

Awww, look at this thread thriving! I hope Dreadsox sees how popular it's become. :love:

I can't drink red wine anymore - I've developed an allergy to it, where I'll get all stuffed up. Although it might not just be red wine. Sometimes I get it with champagne as well, and sometimes even with plain old liquor. It's hard to tell when I'm plugged up due to drinking, or due to regular allergies.

I don't care for beer, and when I'm in the rare mood for one, I go for the cheap, watery piss stuff, because I can't take "real" beers. Blech. I do like a Hefeweizen now and again.

I LOVE cider ale, though. Man, that stuff is good.

"that stuff" will fuck you up more than almost anything out there.

I still can't touch the stuff after I drank about 8 pints of it over 20 years ago and got the worst hangover of my life, there's so much sugar in it, it really intensifies the hangover, and you don't notice just how much you're drinking as it's like fizzy apple juice.

It's the ultimate trojan horse drink, in the uk it used to be (maybe still is) something guys use to get girls drunk quickly also.

I can't have a sip of red without remembering a lot of heavy nights

This reminds me of something I've encountered that I've always been fascinated by. I can't drink orange juice by itself anymore. It tastes like vodka. I can literally taste vodka in a glass of regular orange juice because of all the screwdrivers I used to drink back in the day. It's such a strange phenomenon.

And you guys have all lost the plot with your fancy Belgian beers and ales. Bow down...

Natural_Light.jpg

Also, this guy and I have had a lot of fun over the years...

whisky_jim_beam.jpg

"that stuff" will fuck you up more than almost anything out there.

Tell me about it! There are a few pubs around where they have Strongbow on tap, and it's so big that I can usually just drink one. One is plenty! I have quite a buzz going halfway through it. I can't drink more than one not only due to the buzz, but because it fills me up so much.

If it's cider out of a bottle (there are a few brands I like), that's typically on the lighter side and I can have two of them without getting into trouble.

It's been a long time since I've been hungover, though. I'm getting to be a lightweight in my old age. ;)

I haven't tried Asahi, but I do like Kirin occasionally when I go out for sushi. I'm slowly learning to explore the world of beer more.

But I know I still can't stomach Guiness. *shudder*

Thanks! I like the Bayern beer, a local brewery here. It's so much better. I think I've seen Sierra Nevada somewhere, and the other two sound a little familiar as well.

Can't stand Coronas and the piss American and Australian beers, though. I have sculled a Four X Gold one or two times before, I won't deny that - but only because it's basically water.

Yes, Australian beer does indeed taste like water. So does Norwegian.

VV- I gotta echo the Magic Hat. It is my fav domestic beer. It's amazing on tap too, so if you find a bar that has it, hit it up fo sho! Blue Moon also has a nice Harvest Moon flavor this time of year. I'm also a fan of Yuengling and Woodchuck.

I will look out for that. :)
Donnie bought me a Yuengling. I didn't like that at all. It had a weird taste.
I should write a little note and put it in my wallet so I can pull it out the next time I'm in a bar and don't know what to go for. Generally I like to try out new stuff, but the price is often a little too high and some of the beers are so disgusting I couldn't finish them.

This reminds me of something I've encountered that I've always been fascinated by. I can't drink orange juice by itself anymore. It tastes like vodka. I can literally taste vodka in a glass of regular orange juice because of all the screwdrivers I used to drink back in the day. It's such a strange phenomenon.

Same for me. Only that I used to mix orange juice with Korn (Korn (liquor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)). For years I couldn't drink orange juice. It's better now.

And you posted a pic of a light beer. Thus, you are out. :tsk:

I like cider as well. Australia has some great cider, called Mercury.

I think the low point of my high school career was when a teacher was talking about beer companies in the US and mentioned Natural Ice, leading two guys in my class to high five and say, "Natty Ice! All American!"

I think the low point of my high school career was when a teacher was talking about beer companies in the US and mentioned Natural Ice, leading two guys in my class to high five and say, "Natty Ice! All American!"

lol. That's awesome. Don't you want to just put your head down and go to sleep and hope it all goes away sometimes? Sounds like a couple of bros getting ready to listen some Jack Johnson. Play some gamecube.

lol. That's awesome. Don't you want to just put your head down and go to sleep and hope it all goes away sometimes? Sounds like a couple of bros getting ready to listen some Jack Johnson. Play some gamecube.

in my day, this would be followed by the question, "hey, are you going to Dave this summer?"

A lot of my friends went to Dave in June and Jack Johnson in August. Natty was most definitely involved.

I'm sorry, who is Dave? I hear "Dave" I think of Lee Roth. Oh - Matthews? Yeah, I can see him being a Natty Ice kind of guy. Dave Lee Roth more of the Pabst - Coors Light - let's do shots of Cuervo yeeehaaaa- crowd.

A lot of my friends went to Dave in June and Jack Johnson in August. Natty was most definitely involved.

i saw Dave when you were ... well, not quite in diapers, but pretty close. 1994ish? the various high schools had staked out various parts of the lawn, and all the lacrosse players were going to fight the opposing sides.

i think i was sipping bud lights at the time.

i also remember seeing Dave in 1997 just a few weeks after seeing PopMart and sneering at everyone.

i was right to do so.

I saw him around the same time but I didn't drink much then. I don't know what I was doing but I remember thinking the show was really good. I had to be on something.

contact high?

i saw Dave once in a smaller arena setting -- and it was pretty good. as you can see, i'm far from a Dave virgin. though i haven't gone in 10 years and have no interest in ever going again.

his fans aren't totally his fault.

Back
Top Bottom