The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you're in la belle province. That's definitely one of the things I miss about living in Montreal. :(

Here's what wiki says about Quebec:

Only the provincially-owned Société des alcools du Québec (SAQ) may sell hard liquor. Wine (that is bottled in Quebec or distributed through a Quebec representative) and beer (that is brewed in Quebec or imported beer that is distributed by a local brewer) can be purchased at dépanneurs (corner stores) and supermarkets.

So I guess all major brewers have breweries there?

Plus, we pay a shitload more for beer, liquor and wine than the US does...that's always nice. :|

Read more closely...distribution networks allow for all major brands and imports.

Tax tax tax. Alcohol is more heavily taxed in Quebec. I definitely don't miss that!

Read more closely...distribution networks allow for all major brands and imports.

Tax tax tax. Alcohol is more heavily taxed in Quebec. I definitely don't miss that!

Oh, I read it as distribution networks for foreign beer companies (which I'm guessing it's fairly easy to get distribution rights), for domestic, I'm assuming there are QC based breweries. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Do you have Beverages and More in Canada?

Oops, just checked - only in california. That's a shame, they're a great store for alcohol of all sorts. :D

I found some nice Belgian store on eBay. This stuff is seriously low in production but for 80 Canadian smackeroos I can get two of each kind from all the monk Breweries there. Oh well it's good to try them once despite the enormous expense. :D

In Canada, for the most part, you can only buy beer and liquor in specially licensed stores - rules differ minimally from province to province, but are very similar for the most part. For instance, in Ontario, you can only buy liquor, wine and some beer in government owned liquor stores, and you can buy beer only in beer stores. There are a few privately owned wine stores, though.

Alas, no walking into a convenience store at 2 am to buy a 6 pack, or grabbing some beer in the grocery store for us. :(

Liquor store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think some Scandinavian countries have a similar approach.

Huh, I didn't know that. As progressive a country as this is, our alcohol laws are rather archaic. Still, if I had to choose between free subsidized health care and equal rights or slightly more convenient access to alcohol, I'd choose the former.

Just a correction for the folks down south who might take 'free' a little too seriously. :wink:

Okay I tried Rochefort 10

trappistes-rochefort-10.jpg

Wow that 11.3% alcohol content gave me more buzz than most other drinks. It definitely is dark smooth like honey and a bit of a fig aroma. Definitely the best dark beer I've drunk though I think I'll try to drink the Rochefort 8 and 6 just to tone down the alcohol. It was like the buzz that never ends.

Gulden Draak

gulden-draak.jpg

At 10.5% this is another high alcohol content drink. It also tastes great. It's almost like a sweet desert beer. Both fruity and spicy.

Chimay Blue

Chimay_Trappe_Echourgnac-2.jpg

This was another good one. At 9% this is still quite high for alcohol content. It's dark spicy and good.

So the Belgian Trappists get 3 out of 3 for me. Though the next time I need those nifty Belgian beer glasses.

Oh yes I love this thread. I had some great Belgian beers in 2012:

Lots of finesse
Westmalle-Tripel.jpg

Favorite Rochefort (great aroma)
rochefort%208.jpg

Favorite Hops:

img_7435.jpg

Strong Hops:

lagunitas_maximus-500x588.jpg

Bringing this thread back from the dead, because... let's face it, given recent events, many of us feel more of a need to drink lately. ;)

I've been full time self employed for a couple years now, so each year for Christmas, management has been gracious enough to give me a bottle of scotch as my Christmas bonus. :)

Last year it was a Lagavulin 16, one of my desert island alcohols (and choice of Ron Swanson). This year I decided to branch out and try something totally new to me, a Clynelish 14 (chose this because it was a good price (<$60) and the #2 favorite scotch on that scotch tasting post I linked in this thread years ago). It's much brighter than the Lagavulin, citrusy and grassy compared to the peaty/smoky/saltiness of the Lagavulin, but it's balanced, interesting and leaves a nice lingering sweetness.
ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1482021457.619462.jpg

I have only recently started delving into scotch, thanks to a Christmas party where I was sitting with a group of people who were about to be layed off. They saw open bar, and 30 year old scotch, and went to town.

I've only made one scotch purchase for myself, but it was excellent, in my very humble opinion: a glenfidditch 12. Any advice on where to go next?

Ok, I really have no idea on scotch.

How would you recommend someone try it?

Straight/neat

Mixed with something?

I've a beer person for a while, and San Diego has some awesome micros

But have always wondered about scotch. Seems like something I could dig

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Neat is the best way IMO, assuming what you are drinking is high quality. If it's cheap, you might want to cover it with something.

Hawaiian Punch!

Any good recs on quality scotch? For a newbie

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm presently drinking Stella from a plastic cup in a bar where most patrons aren't wearing a shirt.

The Resistance starts here and now.

Ok, I really have no idea on scotch.

How would you recommend someone try it?

Straight/neat

It depends on the scotch, really. If it's single malt, I wouldn't mix it with anything else unless you're making a fancy cocktail (a Blood & Sand is pretty delicious...). Most scotches I prefer neat, but some scotches that can be a bit strong (Talisker or Ardbeg 10) benefit a lot from a little water added - maybe 4:1 scotch to water. It lightens the heat from the alcohol and lets some of the subtler flavors come out.

If you're new to scotch, I'd recommend finding a local bar that has a good scotch list, and just tell the bartender you're new to it and want to try it out. At the least they should give you a taste from some representative distillers from the different regions (Islay, Speyside, Highlands & Lowlands are the most common, but there are a few other distinct areas too).

If you just want to buy something to see if you like it, it's hard to go wrong with a Macallan 10 or 12, both of which can be had for at or under $50. It's pretty easy drinking, without too much heat and a lot of nice vanilla/caramel flavors going on. Some say it's pretty simple, but it's tasty.

I prefer the peatier, smoky/salty flavors in a lot of Islay malts - a good intro to that is Caol Ila 12 at around $50, or Laphroaig 10 (<$50). My next scotch will probably be the Bowmore 15 - it's a bit pricier ($70ish), but it is super smooth and caramelly and smoky and peaty and delicious.

Diemen you must be one of those with a mouth lined with crocodile hide. Islay is... strong! I compare it to licking a sweaty sailor's testicles. Not that I have practise at that.
For beginners I'd strongly recommend a lowland and have it neat. Otherwise a Speyside. They tend to be the 'easiest'. Drink it super slow. A bartender in Edinburgh once told me a dram is supposed to take as long to drink as a pint. Put a bit on your bottom lip and breath it in. Yum!
And if you're brave follow Diemen to those sweaty peaty salty Islay malts. They're good. But I wouldn't start with them!

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I LOVE scotch & whiskey.... but only mixed with coke. Cannot stand it straight, no matter the quality.

I've also almost entirely gone off beer this year. I drink wine all the time now.

Back
Top Bottom