The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh all my friends hate me for it. Maybe in 10 years time I'll come to love it. After all if you'd told me three years ago that my most-consumed alcohol would be wine I'd have laughed for days.

With whiskeys the quality really does make a difference in drinking it straight. A rail whiskey will go down very rough, but a quality one will be smooth, with limited burning.

It's the same thing with tequila. A lot of people will talk about how bad it rips them up, but that's probably because they are doing shots or margaritas with shit tequila.

I'm new to brown liquor on the rocks and I enjoy it. Jameson or the aforementioned Glenfiddich 12 taste very nice straight. It's great with soda too, of course; I don't consider it wasting good whiskey as long as you're enjoying what you're drinking.

I was at an open bar the other night and Redbreast was on the menu, but I already had a beer and an Eastside and I usually stop myself at two drinks unless I'm at home. It was a pleasant buzz.

Last edited:
don't give cobbler such a hard time. i got a real friggin' for you: my go to alcohol is viniq ruby. it's basically freaking alcoholic punch kool-aid that's shimmery.

i also don't drink that much. it takes me like 7-8 months to go through a bottle (yes it's sickeningly sweet, i fully admit i don't want my alcohol to taste like alcohol, but it takes me so long to go through it because i'll have one drink maybe once every other month at the most). and i still cut it with water. :reject:

(one of) my guilty (friggin') pleasure(s) is Captain Morgan's spicy rum with (diet) coke - so good haha

otherwise, my tipple of choice is Sipsmith gin (with tonic and a huge chunk of lime) - omg it is amazing and the only gin that doesn't give me an instant headache... if there's any gin lovers here, you have to try it if you haven't already!

fizzy is always good too - we're lucky here as we have so many good local wines and fizz, a reaaaaaally good sommelier from a michelin starred restaurant down the road who keeps his own wine cellar and his own wine/fizz list, and sells to locals at really reasonable prices, so much better value for money than in the stores... just bought our Christmas champagne from him last week... plus can also get really good stuff direct from the vineyards - going up soon with friends to buy wine for New Year's Eve...

honestly, i don't actually drink much though, only a couple of drinks for aperitifs/dinner on a Friday and Saturday night as a treat and when having dinner with friends (am a lightweight really - not as my screen name suggests lmfao), but really do appreciate having all this lovely local stuff within reach... i love the Frenchie way, it's almost like a ritual with French friends at meal times, taking out a different bottle of wine for each part of the meal, and talking about it, where it came from, the year, the weather that year, i love that...

Last edited:
i love the Frenchie way, it's almost like a ritual with French friends at meal times, taking out a different bottle of wine for each part of the meal, and talking about it, where it came from, the year, the weather that year, i love that...

My wife and I had several meals like that when we were in France this summer - it was lovely. I like how meals are never rushed - plenty of time to savor and enjoy and have good conversation.

I don't actually drink all that much these days, either. Usually only have maybe a couple beers and a glass or two of wine a week. Okay, and now a dram of scotch once a week, too. :)

Last edited:
I drink too much :(

Re: France - I'm here now, for the second time in six months. My girlfriend has lived here since April, though she's coming home in February, just after me. It's great but I do hate how late everyone eats in Europe. If you're hungry at 6pm, bad fucking luck.

Le Marais. Awesome location. Very close to the 1 so it's very easy to get to all the touristy spots and the airport. And there's just a million awesome food joints everywhere. It's brilliant. Only drawback is my girlfriend's on the fifth floor of an apartment with no elevator :lol:

Ha. Nice. We stayed in a 5th floor apartment on Ile St. Louis. We excused all the food we ate by saying we got lots of cardio on those stairs.

I'll be doing two months in France come April.

About liquor... I pretty much loathe whiskey. I'll welcome bourbon in many cases though. Eagle Rare is alright.

I'm a gin fellow. For sure.

I drink too much :(

Re: France - I'm here now, for the second time in six months. My girlfriend has lived here since April, though she's coming home in February, just after me. It's great but I do hate how late everyone eats in Europe. If you're hungry at 6pm, bad fucking luck.

Yeah, starting dinner at 9pm was definitely an adjustment.

Where in France are you?

noooo you guys are doing it wrong...

basically, you have lunch from 12 til 2 pm, then around 4 pm there's the "gouter", sort of snack time, cake and a cuppa or something... then you have aperitifs with billions and billions of yummy nibbles and appetizers, brought out plate after plate, from around 7 pm, until dinner starts properly at 9 / half 9, and by the time you get to pudding it's 3 am (true story lol)

Le Marais. Awesome location. Very close to the 1 so it's very easy to get to all the touristy spots and the airport. And there's just a million awesome food joints everywhere. It's brilliant. Only drawback is my girlfriend's on the fifth floor of an apartment with no elevator :lol:

i love the marais - always hang out there when i'm up in town! i imagine you've discovered Stollys, Cobbler?? one of my old student haunts - used to be the cheapest place for beers in Paris - we used to get huge pitchers to share and play drinking games til we fell off the stools haha

great food too, love Chez Marianne especially, and the Loir and the Theiere is lovely and cozy and awesome for afternoon tea and cakes!

fifth floor and no lift sounds about right haha lived in a few flats like that in Paris...

Ha. Nice. We stayed in a 5th floor apartment on Ile St. Louis. We excused all the food we ate by saying we got lots of cardio on those stairs.

Ile Saint Louis is gorgeous too! my hub used to work in a little studio there many years ago... there used to be a really good ice cream place there too - Berthillon?? oh god my mental map of Paris seems to be made up of places to eat and drink ha

Berthillon is still there and as popular as ever, based on the lines. My parents spent a year in France when they were in grad school (1 semester in Paris, 1 in Pau) in the early 70s and had very fond memories of getting Berthillon on sunny days and just walking around the 4th. Their apartment was in the Marais.

It was pretty cool to be able to be in Paris 40+ years later and find some of the same places my parents used to go.

Berthillon is still there and as popular as ever, based on the lines. My parents spent a year in France when they were in grad school (1 semester in Paris, 1 in Pau) in the early 70s and had very fond memories of getting Berthillon on sunny days and just walking around the 4th. Their apartment was in the Marais.

It was pretty cool to be able to be in Paris 40+ years later and find some of the same places my parents used to go.

how lovely!! i think Paris is really timeless and special like that...

great idea to resurrect this thread - of course all the best conversations happen in bars haha

Anyone have a scouting report on Toulouse?

haven't been down that way in about 20 years, but lovely area, nice warmer climate, and lots of places to see, loved Carcassonne... Aerospatial?? is that your field? a friend's dad used to work for them years ago, and used to be based there, still are i think!

I will drink anything. A little nervous about Absinthe, but otherwise anything.

Favorite Beer - Yuengling Lager served in the bottle.

100478.jpg

It has a unique aftertaste akin to a microbrew, but light enough to drink in bulk.

I feel bad for much of the country that cannot taste the nectar of America's oldest brewery. For now it is only distributed from Maine to Alabama. Family owned out of Pottsville, PA. Took a tour once and met Dick Yuengling who was being interviewed by Good Morning America

PS: Tried a mix of Jim Beam Apple in Ginger Ale. Holy shit is that delicious. Tastes like an apple soda

Oh all my friends hate me for it. Maybe in 10 years time I'll come to love it. After all if you'd told me three years ago that my most-consumed alcohol would be wine I'd have laughed for days.

You really just need to make the investment into a higher quality Scotch/Whiskey. The stuff is incredibly drinkable if its quality.

I was at an open bar the other night and Redbreast was on the menu, but I already had a beer and an Eastside and I usually stop myself at two drinks unless I'm at home. It was a pleasant buzz.

WHAT?! I fucking missed that :sad:. I didn't even notice there were other things on the menu besides beers and mixed drinks. Dammit.

Anyways, at that same party, and subsequently after one beer purchase later, I've come to the conclusion that Belgian Ales may be stealing Oatmeal Stouts' place as my favorite type of beer.

haven't been down that way in about 20 years, but lovely area, nice warmer climate, and lots of places to see, loved Carcassonne... Aerospatial?? is that your field? a friend's dad used to work for them years ago, and used to be based there, still are i think!

Yeah. It's where airbus and CNES are headquartered. Lots and lots of aerospace presence. Doing two months there in March and April.

March and April, south of France... Nice.
What I love about that area is how spectacular and varied your day/weekend trips can be. You just can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Turin... you could almost pop across the border and make some Bono beach recordings.
What is your program? I presumed you were some sort of mathematician...

Went to a local bar with a fabulous scotch list tonight, and along with my younger brother tried a few really nice scotches:

Bowmore 15 Darkest: I've had this Islay before but it's smooth and smoky and peaty and sweet and delicious. Way smoother than Lagavulin, maybe not as complex but more approachable.
Caol Ila Reserve: another good Islay, not as smooth as the Bowmore, with a bit more heat and spice in the smoke and peat, but quite tasty
Balmenach 18: Reeeeeally good Speyside. Like, really, really good. Fruity, malty, smoky, balanced and smoooooth. The distillery has been closed for a while, so it's hard to find and expensive, but both this and the 19 year old are some of the best scotches I've ever had.
Bunnahabhain 12 Port Wood: another Islay, that smells amazing and tastes pretty darn good, too. The port gives it a unique sweet aroma and flavor that works really well.

Turin... you could almost pop across the border and make some Bono beach recordings.
What is your program? I presumed you were some sort of mathematician...

This was my evil plan.

I did aerospace as an undergrad, and doing space systems engineering as a grad program. Toulouse and Turin are where the French and Italian space agencies have large presence, and I'm studying on behalf of the British. Basically, a European Space Agency grad project where at the end of our team project we team up with students in Italy and France and take our systems proposal to the folks at ESA in the Netherlands and present. I'm really excited for it.

Back
Top Bottom