Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
As long as the GOP is the party of bigotry, then they have no future beyond their present. The younger generations clearly reject the theocracy of their parents and grandparents that the GOP implicitly aspires for.
The demographic hump of the boomers will exert influence for some time, coupled with the religious indoctrination of the young I would expect social reactionaries to exert influence for some time to come. One can only hope that an influential minority of the populace begins to vote for socially progressive and pro-free market candidates. Of course theocratic rubes may deliver more votes.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
coupled with the religious indoctrination of the young I would expect social reactionaries to exert influence for some time to come.

what is encouraging is that many young evangelicals are much more concerned with ending poverty and fighting global warming than they are with the sexual "sins" that have so preoccupied their parents and grandparents.

they remain resolutely pro-life, but appear to have a much more nuanced take on the issue than their elders who tend to view a pregnancy as a punishment for promiscuity. you get many who are more than just pro-birth.

these are not Falwell's children. these are Wallis's children.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

I think the battle in the GOP is not one of conservative vs moderate as much as it is one of social vs economic.

The GOP, and the country, would be MUCH better off if the 'economic' people won out over the 'social' people. The economic people stick to the traditional GOP centerpiece of small government ideology. I disagree with that, but at least it's a stable, rational point of view.

Conservative positions on social and cultural issues are, most of the time, informed by religion - Christianity, to be specific. IMO, it is not possible for the party to center itself on social and cultural issues without being inherently, at least to some degree, anti-secularist. This is scary, and this is dangerous. A group that has trouble separating its political views from its religious beliefs should not be given high governmental power.

This is the fundamental decision to be made in the GOP, imo. Is it going to reign in the social conservatives and give the old-school, economic, traditional conservatives their power back, or is going to alienate those old-school conservatives even more and make the GOP into a religious party with no direction back.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If Jindal is smart, he will hold out until 2016.

It will really depend on how things look in about 2-2.5 years. If Obama has done alright and has a solid approval rating and the economy is on the uptick, the GOP will not send out its A team in 2012, not a chance.

Palin's more immediate problem is not Jindal, but Huckabee.
I agree. Huckabee will be the nominee one day. It all depends on what the landscape looks like in 2012. If it's like 1996 the Republicans will hold off on the full scale attack. If not, look for a ticket with Mike Huckabee on it - he's what Palin could have been if she wasn't so hick - keeps the base but is folksy enough and funny enough to capture millions of Independents. Mark my words, when the Republicans make the "come back" it won't be with a country club conservative candidate.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
I agree. Huckabee will be the nominee one day. It all depends on what the landscape looks like in 2012. If it's like 1996 the Republicans will hold off on the full scale attack. If not, look for a ticket with Mike Huckabee on it - he's what Palin could have been if she wasn't so hick - keeps the base but is folksy enough and funny enough to capture millions of Independents. Mark my words, when the Republicans make the "come back" it won't be with a country club conservative candidate.
But they've proven this time that they can't win by simply courting the religious right. They need independents, who seem to be turned off by the folksy, religious meme these days.

I think namkcuR's post above is spot on. Much of it though will have to do with the social climate of the country 4 and 8 years from now, and how well the Obama administration has done.