The Even Gayer than the Gay thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also definitely didn't mean to ruin the party. Sorry, I don't want to bring my personal struggles into this every single time it gets brought up. I was trying to say that desptie the way I've felt over the years, I'm happy today.

I meant I was being spiteful. Sorry, I am very much aware of what the word means to people and the equality it represents. My struggle has always been separating the religious institution from the public one. I was being very ramble-y in that post. The bottom line is that now that it's basically over, this is the last word I'm likely to have on the subject of my negative issues with the topic. Hopefully that's a little clearer.

I'll look later, but I believe there's also something in the New Testament about following the laws of the land that you live in. I bet that's another overlooked verse.

I know this whole thing is hard for you, both with your family and your faith. I do admire how hard you try to keep your personal faith out of the lives of others.

some people just need to get off their high horse on the pro gay marriage side
I happen to agree with them
The anti Confederate flag side won a 50 year battle in a matter of a few days by being so much more decent than the other side. Now many of the flaggers are suffering from whiplash.

If he was on Hannity it would have been from last night and he was referring to the ACA decision. He had no idea what this morning's ruling was when he said it.

He felt the Court was not being impartial and giving lawmakers benefit of the doubt. Like 'wink, wink' we know what you mean. This on the ACA decision

You know he has a radio show too, right?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know this whole thing is hard for you, both with your family and your faith. I do admire how hard you try to keep your personal faith out of the lives of others.

Thanks, sorry I made that about myself in the end. I was trying to just share how much it hurts me to see a parent turn on their kid, even if they don't realize they're doing it, and lost track of what I wanted to say.

tell me, what is the best time of year to visit this place you call "Canada"?

The summertime. Once it gets cold up here people start sodomizing each other with their parkas and mitts on and it just gets awkward.

Strange that your quote says "Originally posted by PhilsFan"...weird. :scratch:

Late to the party, but I just wanted to say that I'm SO HAPPY about this decision. :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I live on the ground floor of an apartment building right next to the taxi door, seems like 90% of people going out tonight are wearing some sort of rainbow stuff. The Friday of Pride, this decision literally could not have been more perfectly timed :lol:

I'm at the White House right now. The crowd seems to alternate between Taylor Swift and the national anthem. The building is gorgeously lit with rainbow colors.

It's gorgeous. And calm.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1435374446.874627.jpg

CIeaZDNUsAEno-Y.jpg

What strikes me is how many people in my FB feed said they were moved to tears by the decision. And that so many people at the White House tonight said that, at last, they felt included. Part of the conversation. Part of the culture. Part of the family.

I think there is value to be apart from the mainstream, to forge your own identity and way to live apart from societal norms.

But not everyone wants that. My guess is most LGBT people want lives that are, basically, "normal." They want to be a part of the mainstream.

At least now they have that option. At least in the eyes of the government.

It's a good day. I'm still concerned about housing and employment discrimination, and HIV, and suicidal teenagers, and abusive parents. But today we can say to everyone that you are not a second class citizen.

I would not have thought this possible 10 years ago when I started posting on here with regularity and was totally fine with civil unions. Now, I wonder about how I viewed my own self-worth back then.

And it's our allies who make this possible. Thank you.

I think there is value to be apart from the mainstream, to forge your own identity and way to live apart from societal norms.

This is actually something I have been wondering about: do you think that, as LGBT rights become more mainstream both socially and politically, that the culture will be homogenized to some extent? And is that a problem if it is?

I would not have thought this possible 10 years ago when I started posting on here with regularity and was totally fine with civil unions. Now, I wonder about how I viewed my own self-worth back then.

I very much see what you are saying, and I am happy and pleased at your relief. I'm glad that it has helped you feel better about yourself.

I always wanted a separation between the religion and the state, but I see now that doing so just leads to a separation between people. No matter what you do, if you use a different word, it's going to make someone feel different.

It's time to put my wants on the shelf on this one, as I've tried to convey many times today. I'm nothing but happy for you, having also posted right here alongside you, I know you're not just passionate about your topic, it's your life, and it's who you are. Which leads me to:
This is actually something I have been wondering about: do you think that, as LGBT rights become more mainstream both socially and politically, that the culture will be homogenized to some extent? And is that a problem if it is?

I hope I won't be remiss in comparing this with the situation of blacks in America post 60s, but it's hard not to do so, to me. While there's certain to be cultural shifts, I imagine that the LGBT community will always be their own community. The same seems to be the case in the former situation, where things have obviously gotten better (with dips back into worse, obviously this year being one of them), but there's no doubt that culture is culture and we all have unique ways of embracing life.

What strikes me is how many people in my FB feed said they were moved to tears by the decision. And that so many people at the White House tonight said that, at last, they felt included. Part of the conversation. Part of the culture. Part of the family.

But not everyone wants that. My guess is most LGBT people want lives that are, basically, "normal." They want to be a part of the mainstream.

At least now they have that option. At least in the eyes of the government.

It's a good day. I'm still concerned about housing and employment discrimination, and HIV, and suicidal teenagers, and abusive parents. But today we can say to everyone that you are not a second class citizen.

I think there's a lot to be said for the community not to have just settled with "civil unions" back when that was being shoved down all our throats (no pun intended :sexywink: ) in the name of "compromise". I admire your (our?) tenacity in standing up for legit, honest equality. Why the fuck did it take so long?

Last edited:
I hope I won't be remiss in comparing this with the situation of blacks in America post 60s, but it's hard not to do so, to me. While there's certain to be cultural shifts, I imagine that the LGBT community will always be their own community. The same seems to be the case in the former situation, where things have obviously gotten better (with dips back into worse, obviously this year being one of them), but there's no doubt that culture is culture and we all have unique ways of embracing life.

I'm no expert on gay culture, but I'd say I'm pretty familiar with it for several reasons, one of which being that I have a gay sibling, and it seems to me that a good deal of gay culture was/is rooted in embracing the otherness, for lack of a better term, and making a statement out of the way that particular community was viewed. A gay person coming of age now in the United States is going to have a different experience - sometimes radically different - than someone coming of age 20 years ago. I imagine that has to have some ramifications for the culture as a whole.

I always wanted a separation between the religion and the state, but I see now that doing so just leads to a separation between people. No matter what you do, if you use a different word, it's going to make someone feel different.

I don't understand what you're saying. People have had courthouse marriages for decades (centuries?) without having a religious ceremony. Did you want a marriage to be exclusively a religious construct? And straight couples who opted for a civil ceremony to not have a marriage?

My two cents: What a great and historic day for those who are part of the LGBT community, and a great day to be living in a U.S. territory. I have a few friends and three family members who identify themselves as LGBT, so not only am I extremely happy for the entire community, I'm even happier that I've gotten to know some of them. Well fought and well deserved. :) I only wish the majority of the population here will start to welcome them with open arms.

Back
Top Bottom