The Even Gayer than the Gay thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm happy that many of my friends can finally be recognized as married couples throughout the whole country that they have served and bled for in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. (I don't know anybody who served in the Marines that well). We're gonna have BIG and more meaningful Independence Day celebration next week.

One thing I keep seeing and cannot understand is the whole "Defense of religious freedom" aspect. How is allowing everyone the opportunity to avail themselves of a civil institution affecting your religious freedom? You can still go to church, right? Your god hasn't suddenly been banned, has he/she? As much as some seem to want a theocracy (how's that working out in other parts of the world?), the US Government is not a religious institution.

Get over it and join the celebration.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

* Defense of religious freedom...

Guess I had the opening parentheses too close to a capital D.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Are churches being legally compelled now to perform same-sex marriages? I thought a church had the right to refuse to marry anyone they wanted to?

I ask because the only person who's posted anything remotely negative on my Facebook feed has framed this as a violation of the first amendment, and is convinced that religious institutions are now being forced to perform same-sex marriages if someone asks for one.

Which kinda begs my own question, now that there are a multitude of options available, why would any two men or two women ever want to get married in a church that is only allowing it because they're being legally compelled to?

Are churches being legally compelled now to perform same-sex marriages? I thought a church had the right to refuse to marry anyone they wanted to?

I ask because the only person who's posted anything remotely negative on my Facebook feed has framed this as a violation of the first amendment, and is convinced that religious institutions are now being forced to perform same-sex marriages if someone asks for one.

Which kinda begs my own question, now that there are a multitude of options available, why would any two men or two women ever want to get married in a church that is only allowing it because they're being legally compelled to?
I'm pretty sure your friend is completely wrong. You can't force a church to do something, I mean, that's the idea behind separation of church and state, right?

Your friend is wrong. He's not understanding the difference between a state marriage and a church marriage. No church is going to be forced to marry gays, yet the state is being forced to marry them by law. Not religion, just law.

I'm pretty sure your friend is completely wrong. You can't force a church to do something, I mean, that's the idea behind separation of church and state, right?

Yeah, it took me all of five seconds on Google to find out how full of shit he is.

I'm not even sure why he's so concerned about Christian churches' reaction to this, considering he's hardcore Jewish and has up to this point always posted things in favour of SSM.

FUCK YEAH SCOTUS.

:rockon:

Also, the Biden thing was true:
[TWEET]
https://twitter.com/darth/status/614468582022467584[/TWEET]

Also, also ... the only "negative" comment on my FB feed is from my brother, but he's only being negative as a lawyer who's super into the constitution. he wants everyone to be able to marry whomever, he just has very strong legalese opinions about SCOTUS rulings on this. (And also the ACA, so yesterday his posts were a doozy.)

Last edited:
Just embed the number at the end of the link:

[TWEET]614468582022467584[/TWEET]

I think if you quote this you can see what I mean.

I guess they'll be flying a rainbow flag over the SC capital. What a sad week for this country. By this time next week there will be no freedom to celebrate.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My aunt in response to my step mom's opinion on this being such a heartbreaking decision is "all we can do is pray" really? Pray the gay away?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"darkest 24 hours in US history"

Oh good, I finally get to use some of these gifs and not get in trouble for it!

(Unless Ted Cruz is a poster on Interference, in which case, don't fucking tell me if he is, I don't want to fucking know.)

bdfhtu_zps72389fb1.gif

dailyshowgofuckyourself.gif

jwboz8oa8raybicijn0q_zpsbui3ke6q.gif

Your friend is wrong. He's not understanding the difference between a state marriage and a church marriage.

Yeah, I commented and he replied. This is exactly what he's not getting, but he's getting hysterical so I think I'm going to just leave him to inexplicably stew over this.

I'm still baffled as to why he's suddenly so upset about it.

A friend of mine has been to afraid to come out to his ridiculously right wing parents, but today he got up the nerve to switch his picture on Facebook to one of the rainbow ones and his father comments:

"Ha, Hell bound and enjoy the heat is all I can say."

And I just felt sick to my stomach.

I may not support gay marriage from a religious standpoint, but as far as the actual progress that it represents and the peace that I hope it will eventually bring? I'm so happy that this is over. I just wanted a different word used, but fuck it, if people are going to be so hateful, then just use whatever word you want out of spite, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of so much hate. There's no reason for it. Depending on the version, 319. Hate shows up 63.

Anyways, sorry for even an ounce of holdback on my side, it's hard to separate how I feel vs. how much I know something's important, but I've tried, over the years, I continue to try.

So Ted Cruz just went off the deep end...again.

On Hannity he referred to the "darkest 24 hours in US history" and he wasn't talking about firing on Fort Sumter, the attack on Pearl Harbor or 9/11. :ohmy:

Wow.

He's not wrong.

Ever since 2005 it's been social chaos and anarchy here in Canada. There's mass sodomy in the streets all day every day. The Gay Agenda has now forced every man to wear a leash and a cock ring and every woman has to have a shaved head under penalty of being summarily lubeboarded. Packs of wild gay dogs roam the streets. All the children have been shipped off to their gay indoctrination camps for the summer.

After the summer break Parliament will be discussing a constitutional amendment legalizing pedophilia and incest, and allowing people to marry animals. We have regular hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes thanks to God’s wrath, and a volcano has replaced the former city of Moose Jaw. The governor-general is moving his residence to Dildo, Newfoundland in the fall as well.

So Ted Cruz just went off the deep end...again.

On Hannity he referred to the "darkest 24 hours in US history" and he wasn't talking about firing on Fort Sumter, the attack on Pearl Harbor or 9/11. :ohmy:

Wow.

If he was on Hannity it would have been from last night and he was referring to the ACA decision. He had no idea what this morning's ruling was when he said it.

He felt the Court was not being impartial and giving lawmakers benefit of the doubt. Like 'wink, wink' we know what you mean. This on the ACA decision

I just wanted a different word used, but fuck it, if people are going to be so hateful, then just use whatever word you want out of spite, I'm tired of it.

Ashley, what if people use the word "marriage" because of the love and commitment it means, and not because of spiteful feelings? It seems that the side trying to deny full participation to others is much more spiteful. Don't let your bitterness and anger with your family color the real and genuine happiness of people wanting a real and genuine marriage.

Ashley, what if people use the word "marriage" because of the love and commitment it means, and not because of spiteful feelings? It seems that the side trying to deny full participation to others is much more spiteful. Don't let your bitterness and anger with your family color the real and genuine happiness of people wanting a real and genuine marriage.

I meant I was being spiteful. Sorry, I am very much aware of what the word means to people and the equality it represents. My struggle has always been separating the religious institution from the public one. I was being very ramble-y in that post. The bottom line is that now that it's basically over, this is the last word I'm likely to have on the subject of my negative issues with the topic. Hopefully that's a little clearer.

I'll look later, but I believe there's also something in the New Testament about following the laws of the land that you live in. I bet that's another overlooked verse.

Back
Top Bottom