The Even Gayer than the Gay thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we may be splitting hairs here

sometimes I think some people just want the 'gay' to be invisible

we are only legalizing gay marriage here. not lifting all restrictions on marriage.

if I was told a friend from 20 years ago got married. I think I would want to know it was a same sex marriage before I sent a card.

Why would you want to know? What difference does it make if it's a gay or a straight marriage? :hmm:

I think God's gonna throw them a curveball, so I'm guessing tornadoes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Why would you want to know? What difference does it make if it's a gay or a straight marriage? :hmm:

I'm assuming because he said he'd be sending a card - lots of those make note of wife/husband, etc.

Same Love by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, which was played as outro music at the second Phoenix show, was used to end tonight's show too. During Pride and Beautiful Day, Bono again referred with evident joy and satisfaction to the successful referendum in Ireland for marriage equality.

Shit like this makes me proud to be a U2 fan. :) Quote is from U2gigs.

Good link Irvine. :) So if in 20 years the support has been doubled, that means we've gone past the biggest hill. It's only a matter of time now before it's generally accepted (at least in the western world that is). No going back now.

Even the conservative commentators here have conceded, proving any opposition to it is flaky and grounded in homophobia. Now we just need a government that isn't a bunch of fucking pussies.

The government should recognize gay marriage in their own sphere of influence and the rights it bestows married couples.

Churches, Mosques, and Synagogues still have their first amendment rights to follow their historic marriage practices without interference if they so choose.

The government should recognize gay marriage in their own sphere of influence and the rights it bestows married couples.

Churches, Mosques, and Synagogues still have their first amendment rights to follow their historic marriage practices without interference if they so choose.

Seems so simple doesn't it?:shrug:

Wow :lol: That's some kind of special.

And that’s because it’s not a traditional divorce.
There's such a thing? Here I thought divorce was kinda sorta illegal for God. :wink: So wouldn't them divorcing have them end up in hell?

Stuff like this kinda makes me realise how entitled religious people are. Claiming marriage as something their religion started, while it was around YEARS before monotheistic religions appeared... how delusional can you be?

Our view is that marriage is a fundamental order of creation. Part of God’s intimate story for human history. Marriage is the union of a man and a woman before a community in the sight of God. And the marriage of any couple is important to God regardless of whether that couple recognises God’s involvement or authority in it.

My wife and I, as a matter of conscience, refuse to recognise the government’s regulation of marriage if its definition includes the solemnisation of same sex couples.

The State (initially England) only got involved in marriage laws in 1753. For the 600 years before that in Europe, the Church acted as the official witness. Before the church had this role, marriage was simply a cultural norm ensuring children had the best possible upbringing.

Geez, that's not contradictory at all. :wink:

Enjoy your divorce guys, I'll enjoy my right to marry then!

I just read it in full and I just can't even make sense of it.

This paragraph might as well be in Japanese, I literally have no idea what it means?

However, what is significant is this issue will echo the growing shift from state education to private religious institutions.

This shift is no doubt because the majority of Australians, who are people of faith, believe their children are better served there. If the federal government pursues a change to the definition of marriage it will further alienate and divide the community.

Agreed. They are wonderful.

What is the status of SSM in Australia these days?

It's going to happen in the next year or two, I would say. If you'd asked me six months ago about the status I'd say depressingly we were at the very least three and more likely four, five or six years away, but the referendum in Ireland has opened a lot of people's eyes, I think. The most (non-insane) conservative of our politicians and commentators seem to have realised that opposition to it is just stupid and conceded that it's inevitable. The problem now is we're just stuck in a political stalemate because both major parties want to be seen as the one that made it a reality; they won't work together on it because political pride and point-scoring comes before the love of two people, which makes me sick. The opposition leader recently tried to introduce a members bill into parliament and none of the incumbent showed up, because they don't want the opposition "owning" SSM. The incumbent govt is now willing to give members a conscience vote and are open to make it law but it's really just lip service at this point to win over moderates because they say things like "it's not important right now we are focused on the budget".

The opponents sound more and more pathetic and irrelevant every time they speak or are quoted. Our current minister for social services has called for a "breather" on the topic because he wants to canvass the views of minority communities in the country, which is fucking hilarious because not long ago he was immigration minister and couldn't have given a single fuck about anyone not white.

The opponents sound more and more pathetic and irrelevant every time they speak or are quoted. Our current minister for social services has called for a "breather" on the topic because he wants to canvass the views of minority communities in the country, which is fucking hilarious because not long ago he was immigration minister and couldn't have given a single fuck about anyone not white.

Cool so he's going to canvass the views of the gay community in Australia? As far as I'm aware they're the only minority community relevant to this debate, as it's a state issue and has nothing to do with religion... :wink:

:laugh: So now anything related to rainbows is gay?

Shite, that must mean God is gay too, after all he's creating those rainbows in the sky right?

Back
Top Bottom