The Even Gayer than the Gay thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen them firsthand and even snapped a selfie next to a guy holding a "repent or perish" sign.

They are pathetic and small. There were maybe 7 of them. Not to be taken seriously in any way.

In case you were wondering, I chose "perish."

As I've mentioned in the past, not to sound like a broken record, but it's true in a sense.

It's certainly amusing to point at Lev. and the law and show Christians to be hypocrites for a variety of reasons beyond the obvious. The thing is, though, that the Old Law does not exactly apply to Christianity as a religion. It's a code to try and follow, but it's not the basis of rules for Christianity, but it is for Judaism. Or at least to my understanding it is.

So, once the Old Law was "fulfilled" by Jesus' sacrificial death, basically Paul's writings became the new guide to how to live in this new era.

To that effect: Paul still referred to homosexuality as a sin, whereas he went at length to explain why the food stuff is no longer a sin if you didn't already practice those customs. Specifically he says, " “The faith that you have, have as your own conviction before God. Blessed are those who have no reason to condemn themselves because of what they approve. But those who have doubts are condemned if they eat, because they do not act from faith;for whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.

But again: It's a guide. It's not black and white, because nothing ever is, except to try and trust in Jesus / God. There's more in this article, actually, which is pretty decent if you're interested: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mercynotsacrifice/2013/05/04/how-does-paul-define-sin-romans-1413-23/

So, anyways, sorry to ruin your joke. I do find it funny. This is just one of those things that constantly irritates me :lol:.

That is interesting indeed. You didn't ruin anything, I already had a feeling there was more to it than just the old testament. Though that line you say Paul said could be interested in different ways too. I mean, if I honestly believe I'm doing the right thing by being myself, one could call that an act of faith too. So if I'm acting out of my own faith, it is not a sin, right?

That's the grey difficult line to read.

Christianity is, in my interpretation, more about faith, doing charitable works, and being humble, than it is about keeping an itemized list of right and wrong, or judging others lists of right and wrong. It's a really personal faith that also relies on community for guidance, but ultimately comes down to the individual and their relationship with God.

So, yeah, the people that holds up the signs and claim God's judgement? They couldn't have it more wrong in my eyes.

Romans 1:25-26
"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

I Corinthians 6:9-10
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."
And lastly, Jude 1:7 "Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire."

Does this give Christians the right to hate homosexuals? Obviously not. But I think scripture paints a brutal, yet clear, image of not only homosexuality, but all unrepentant sin. Many will argue that homosexuality is worse than other sexual sins due to the fact that it is believed by many to be a perversion of God's plan and being contrary to nature. But this is not the time nor the place for that debate. :)

Last edited:
Those are pretty crappy interpretations, the term "homosexuality" does not show up in any of the original languages used in the original text.

And the first needs context; it's not about the acts but the free for all that took place.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Those are pretty crappy interpretations, the term "homosexuality" does not show up in any of the original languages used in the original text.

And the first needs context; it's not about the acts but the free for all that took place.

:up:
Glad that someone who is not a believer is telling me how to interpret scripture. Thanks for that wonderfully, uneducated advice once again. Where would we all be without BVS incredible knowledge.

Glad that someone who is not a believer is telling me how to interpret scripture. Thanks for that wonderfully, uneducated advice once again. Where would we all be without BVS incredible knowledge.

So, because you believe in God, your English comprehension skills are better than his? Okay...

Wow, that's a grossly misinformed assumption.

I've studied the bible for more than 30 years, taught the bible, and have a true theologian in my family that I've spoke very extensively with about this subject.

Wow...

Sooo, does the bible only specifically refer to homosexuality between men as a sin then? :hmm:

So we're basing interpretations on texts thousands of years old, a time when the people who wrote them had no real scientific understanding of the world, including that people are born gay?

OK.

Personally, I'm not putting any value in the science of a book written that long ago. I'm just trying to gain a bit of understanding why there are people who do and why they condemn me for it, especially with today's scientific knowledge. Sadly, I still don't seem to understand this though.

Romans 1:25-26
"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

I Corinthians 6:9-10
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."
And lastly, Jude 1:7 "Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire."

Does this give Christians the right to hate homosexuals? Obviously not. But I think scripture paints a brutal, yet clear, image of not only homosexuality, but all unrepentant sin. Many will argue that homosexuality is worse than other sexual sins due to the fact that it is believed by many to be a perversion of God's plan and being contrary to nature. But this is not the time nor the place for that debate. :)

Those verses dont sound like they have anything to do with homosexuality at all. Not as I understand and experience it as a full human being in a decade-long relationship with someone of the same sex who has fully integrated homosexuality into his life in a way that's very similar to heterosexuality. I don't "practice" anything. I experience it as you do your life.

Do you really think these verses have anything to do with me?

Paul was totally cool with some girl-on-girl action.

This totally reminds me of that "Innocence of Muslims" film. Or, if we can even call it a film. Let me start by saying... that shit was hilarious.

The whole picking-and-choosing. I can see them deciding upon scripture in today's vernacular.

"Papal Figure: Ah, yes, and our religion won't have any of that frolicking, flower picking gay shit.

Cardinals: but, your holiness, what does God say about women?

Papal Figure: don't be absurd, Onofrio. "Gay" applies to men, only. God is down with a little girl-on-girl action, if you know what I mean. But none of that butch bullshit! God still expects them to act like ladies."

But I think scripture paints a brutal, yet clear, image of not only homosexuality, but all unrepentant sin. Many will argue that homosexuality is worse than other sexual sins due to the fact that it is believed by many to be a perversion of God's plan and being contrary to nature. But this is not the time nor the place for that debate. :)

Well, good thing we don't base our laws on what the Bible says, then, right?

I don't consider homosexuality sinful in the first place, so reading all those quotes you shared makes me do nothing more than shrug and go, "Yeah, and?"

Well, good thing we don't base our laws on what the Bible says, then, right?

I don't consider homosexuality sinful in the first place, so reading all those quotes you shared makes me do nothing more than shrug and go, "Yeah, and?"

You don't get to determine what the bible says is and isn't a sin.

Bob Saget does.

yep.

Teen suicide attempts fell as same-sex marriage became legal

CHICAGO (AP) — Teen suicide attempts in the U.S. declined after same-sex marriage became legal and the biggest impact was among gay, lesbian and bisexual kids, a study found.

The research found declines in states that passed laws allowing gays to marry before the Supreme Court made it legal nationwide. The results don't prove there's a connection, but researchers said policymakers should be aware of the measures' potential benefits for youth mental health.

Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for all U.S. teens. Suicidal behavior is much more common among gay, lesbian and bisexual kids and adults; about 29 percent of these teens in the study reported attempting suicide, compared with just 6 percent of straight teens.

Laws that have the greatest impact on gay adults may make gay kids feel "more hopeful for the future," said lead author Julia Raifman, a researcher at Johns Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health.

The measures also could create more tolerance and less bullying, making these teens feel less stigmatized. Those effects could also benefit straight teens but more research is needed to determine how the laws might influence teen behavior, Raifman said.

The study was published Monday in JAMA Pediatrics .

The researchers analyzed data on more than 700,000 public high school students who participated in government surveys on risky youth behavior from 1999 through 2015, the year the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage.

About 230,000 students reported being gay, lesbian or bisexual. The surveys didn't ask about transgender status. They included questions about suicide attempts, smoking and alcohol or drug use.

In 32 states that enacted same-sex marriage laws during the study, suicide attempts dropped 7 percent among all students and 14 percent among gay kids after the laws were passed. There was no change in suicide attempts in states without those laws.

The study only included suicide attempts, not deaths.

The new work makes an important contribution to identifying how laws limiting gay rights may affect psychological and physical health, said Columbia University public health researcher Mark Hatzenbuehler.

But more research is needed to determine which teens are most vulnerable to policies that limit gay rights, he wrote in an accompanying editorial.

https://apnews.com/46e523cd23f84f54...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Back
Top Bottom