The Ethics of Organ Transplantation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trojanchick99

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
The story of Sarah Murnaghan has really started an interesting discussion on medical ethics. I completely understand why her parents went to the media, because if that were my child, I'd have done the same thing. I also understand why Kathleen Sebelia refused to make the exception, because she was deferring to people with greater medical knowledge than herself. Honestly, I'm a little concerned that the Judge's decision may have set a dangerous precedent.

A little background for those not familiar.

Sarah Murnaghan is a 10 year old girl who needs a lung transplant because she has cystic fibrosis. She was on the waitlist for a lung, but they keep the lists for children and adults separate. Her parents sued to allow her to be placed on the adult list, and given the severity of her situation she would be high on the adult list. The complicating factor is that because the adult lung won't fit properly, she'd be given just a part of the lung which has a lower chance of working, and she will need another transplant when she is an adult.
A judge last week ordered her to be placed on the adult list along with another child. Yesterday she was given a lung transplant.

Here's an LA Times article:

Girl's lung transplant leaves thorny ethical questions

Hmm. Good questions here.

One thing for sure, I'm going to finally make it known that when I die, I want my organs to be donated. There's a shortage of organs and this is why these complications arise.

Really thought-provoking story. I also very much understand the motivations of the parents (and the girl herself) and have no doubt that we would fight tooth and nail if it was our child.

From a policy perspective, it's a bit trickier. Assuming she makes it on the partial lung, she will need a second donor in a few years. That's two lungs that could have gone to adults who would not need a re-transplant in the same timeframe.

Right wing media had a field day with this one saying, "see death panels" we were right. But reality is something much different and the same issues, ethical questions, and hoops were there 4 years ago too, before the Affordable Care Act.

Right wing media had a field day with this one saying, "see death panels" we were right. But reality is something much different and the same issues, ethical questions, and hoops were there 4 years ago too, before the Affordable Care Act.

Seeing the right wing media do that made me sick. Kathleen Sebelia could have taken the easy road and made the exception, but that would have actually made her into a "death panel", instead she did the right thing and defer to experts.

Hmm. Good questions here.

One thing for sure, I'm going to finally make it known that when I die, I want my organs to be donated. There's a shortage of organs and this is why these complications arise.

I heard on a news report today that there is a huge shortage
of donors in the U.S.

In my state, on your driver's license, you can choose to be a organ donor.
This helps speed the process.

Why so many people refuse to do this, I don't understand.

I am an organ donor as well, though I have a shitty diet and drink a lot so I hope they stay away from my heart and liver for the next guy's sake.

Many are not informed. Others are lazy and don't bother filling out the paperwork. And a good number will flat out say they don't believe in it because they think that a doctor will look at that and decide not to work too hard to save their life.

Many are not informed. Others are lazy and don't bother filling out the paperwork. And a good number will flat out say they don't believe in it because they think that a doctor will look at that and decide not to work too hard to save their life.

And let's not forget those that don't for religious reasons, which I never really understood.

of donors in the U.S.

It is confusing and sad.

Can you say which organs can be donated? I wouldn't the next person to have to wear glasses or contacts from the moment they wake up until they go to sleep. Plus I have slight asthma.

I wouldn't the next person to have to wear glasses or contacts from the moment they wake up until they go to sleep. Plus I have slight asthma.

I'm pretty sure all that is taken into account :wink:
They don't just hand out organs all willy nilly

And let's not forget those that don't for religious reasons, which I never really understood.

I haven't seen yolland around unfortunately but I was always under the impression that Jews (or at least those of the orthodox persuasion?) have to be buried with their bodies intact. Which is why you have those organizations in Israel whose job it is to pick up body parts after a suicide bombing, gruesome as it sounds. I assumed this extended to organ donation as well.

of donors in the U.S.

In recent years, I lost someone very close to me very unexpectedly. Knowing his organs went on to help someone else provided us with some measure of comfort. At least something good could come of something so awful.

of donors in the U.S.

You also need to inform your spouse or family. I'm pretty sure they still have the final say. My mom and I hosted an event at my parent's church where we signed people up after church and put stickers on their driver's licenses but I think my mom said the spouse/next of kin still has the final say.

The majority of people that did not sign up said they thought they were already too old or had too many problems and their organs wouldn't be of any use. Not sure if that's true or not, but we encouraged them to sign up anyway.

Back
Top Bottom