Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:43 PM
The Ethics of Infanticide

Killing babies no different from abortion, experts say - Telegraph

Quote:
Parents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant” and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued.

The article, published in the Journal of Medical Ethics, says newborn babies are not “actual persons” and do not have a “moral right to life”. The academics also argue that parents should be able to have their baby killed if it turns out to be disabled when it is born.

The journal’s editor, Prof Julian Savulescu, director of the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, said the article's authors had received death threats since publishing the article. He said those who made abusive and threatening posts about the study were “fanatics opposed to the very values of a liberal society”.

The article, entitled “After-birth abortion: Why should the baby live?”, was written by two of Prof Savulescu’s former associates, Alberto Giubilini and Francesca Minerva.

They argued: “The moral status of an infant is equivalent to that of a fetus in the sense that both lack those properties that justify the attribution of a right to life to an individual.”

Rather than being “actual persons”, newborns were “potential persons”. They explained: “Both a fetus and a newborn certainly are human beings and potential persons, but neither is a ‘person’ in the sense of ‘subject of a moral right to life’. "
The actual study is available here:
After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 AM
That's pretty fucked up

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
The article, published in the Journal of Medical Ethics, says newborn babies are not “actual persons” and do not have a “moral right to life”.
Others may disagree with me on this, but I feel disgusted when people say newborns are not actual persons.

Just because their brains are not fully developed does not mean they're not people. Our brains supposedly don't finish developing until we're in our early 20s. Does that mean young adults, teens and children are not people, and therefore have no rights?

These kinds of beliefs are far too radical to me, and also far too dangerous.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
45:33

Local Time: 11:43 PM
I read this this morning as well. Very dangerous and irresponsible thing to publish, I think. Here's what the author had to say:

Quote:
Dr Minerva said she had notified police about the death threats and feared for her safety.
''This was a theoretical and academic article,'' she said.
''I didn't mean to change any laws. I'm not in favour of infanticide. I'm just using logical arguments.''
The paper had been taken out of context, she said. It was intended for an academic community.
''This debate is not new. The debate has been going on for 30 years,'' she said. ''I don't think people outside bioethics should learn anything from this paper. I've received hundreds of emails saying, 'You should die'.''

This disturbed me the most:

Quote:
Avoiding the term ''infanticide'', the pair say ''after-birth abortion'' should be permitted when disabilities, such as Down syndrome, are not detected during pregnancy, or if economic or psychological circumstances change and ''taking care of the offspring becomes an unbearable burden on someone''.
Sends a shiver down my spine.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
The paper had been taken out of context, she said.

same old excuse, all the time

Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
45:33

Local Time: 11:43 PM
I'm pro-choice, but if you are going to have an abortion you'd do it before, y'know, the kid's born, right?

To suggest it's alright to kill the infant because it has a disease/order that wasn't picked up during pregnancy is disgusting.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Normally ethicists use the term non-voluntary euthanasia to refer to what these ethicists are arguing for. Not sure why these particular authors chose to do otherwise. It's rather like calling smothering someone to death "withdrawal of life support."

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

This is so stupid.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

In Michigan you can anonymously surrender a newborn within 72 hours of birth to any emergency services provider (hospital, fire station....). You get 28 days to change your mind. Seems like a fair compromise to me.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm pro-choice, but if you are going to have an abortion you'd do it before, y'know, the kid's born, right?

To suggest it's alright to kill the infant because it has a disease/order that wasn't picked up during pregnancy is disgusting.
This.

That article. Yeah. Ummmmmmmmmmm. NO. Just no. Truly disturbing on so many levels.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
That's pretty fucked up

I agree.

"Simple morality dictates that unless and until someone can prove the unborn human is not alive, we must give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it is (alive). And, thus, it should be entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

~Ronald Reagan 1982
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

That has literally nothing to do with what we are talking about. Can he be suspended for taking this thread way off topic?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

It's best to just ignore him. As he's proven in the Personhood Amendments thread, he's great at making embarrassingly irrelevant posts and then not having the balls to address them when he's called on it
Old 03-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
That has literally nothing to do with what we are talking about. Can he be suspended for taking this thread way off topic?
Just ignore him. He's not worth the arguments or the hassle.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
It's best to just ignore him. As he's proven in the Personhood Amendments thread, he's pretty good at making embarrassingly irrelevant posts and then not having the balls to address them when he's called on it

Call me.