The Ethics of Infanticide - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:03 PM
For all the crap being given to Iron Horse shouldn't we expect the poster who started this thread to chime in?

I'd actually like to hear Nathan's thoughts on this topic.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Getting back on topic...

It's these people such as Francesca Minerva who give ammunition to the conservatives, who believe all liberals think like her. I remember Glenn Beck mentioned people like her on his show (Note: I never had watched his show; my parents are big fans of him. Try not to feel sorry for me).
But this is no different than blaming the victim. In this case, a "liberal" person being attacked and her words being used to generalise against an extremely heterogeneous mass of people.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
For all the crap being given to Iron Horse shouldn't we expect the poster who started this thread to chime in?

I'd actually like to hear Nathan's thoughts on this topic.
I personally find the slippery slope both A) an ever-encroaching reality, and B) horrifying.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Has there been an upswing in infanticides -- or even murder -- since Roe v Wade?

(or just the opposite)
Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I have heard some pretty disturbing stories of mothers murdering their babies over the years. But I don't know if that's part of a trend or just a weird, frightening exception.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

So one person mentions it (purely analytically and not at all suggesting it be done for real) and suddenly we're sliding down the slippery slope?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't know that this is the "slippery slope." The reaction among all the "abortion-loving lefties on this forum" has been uniformly one of horror and condemnation.

I don't think that it's either "life begins at conception" or we end up ready to kill any kid under the age of two who isn't perfect.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
or we end up ready to kill any kid under the age of two who isn't perfect.
Better make it 3. Some kids turn out to be real jerks after their 2nd birthday
Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I personally find the slippery slope both A) an ever-encroaching reality, and B) horrifying.
Well there's two slippery slopes. The "abortion is the lynchpin in the culture of death (abortion, euthanasia, human embryonic stem cells research, prenatal screening, organ harvesting)" slippery slope and then the "any restrictions on abortion now will eventually return women to the back-alley for abortions" slippery slope.

Speaking as a medical professional rather than a conservative, I think present and future advances in hi-tech medicine, fetal surgeries, embryology and biological research will, at the least, cause society and individuals to; gain different perspectives, rethink their views, and examine their consciences regarding the legal status of fetuses.

We've already seen this trend, for example, with fetal homicide laws, the sharp decline in the number of medical students training to perform abortions, and the public rebuking of pregnant women who smoke or consume alcohol.

As a conservative, I hope this is the direction society heads because, I too, am horrified (and have read enough science fiction ) to see where medical technology could take us otherwise.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
So one person mentions it (purely analytically and not at all suggesting it be done for real) and suddenly we're sliding down the slippery slope?

Rick Santorum is worried about your thoughts.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Dear Lord.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Dear Lord.
My first thought is that your complete lack of curiosity or objectivity would be a detriment to someone entering the field of journalism, but on second thought it's probably an asset. The modus operandi of much of journalism today being to create a narrative and then seek out stories to support that narrative.

Being a good reporter in search of "news" or the "truth" being not nearly as important as being a bien-pensant reporter.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Far as I can tell, the past hundred-two hundred years or so have been the only times in history where we haven't been regularly conducting infanticide collectively, and I think it's best we kept it that way. We've got a pretty good thing going here.

(totally pro-choice here, but I like kids).
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
My first thought is that your complete lack of curiosity or objectivity would be a detriment to someone entering the field of journalism, but on second thought it's probably an asset. The modus operandi of much of journalism today being to create a narrative and then seek out stories to support that narrative.

Being a good reporter in search of "news" or the "truth" being not nearly as important as being a bien-pensant reporter.
You know, I considered taking this opportunity to talk about my journalistic style and describe how you're full of shit, but you and I both know you're just being an asshole. And hey, I probably deserve it for posting something so simple that doesn't encourage discussion, but yeah, we both know you don't know shit about how I actually conduct myself when it comes to writing stories, so let's just move on.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

So, my full thoughts: I think this "controversy" is really silly, because no one has actually suggested making baby killing legal. It's just an opportunity for pro-life people to make a slippery slope argument. It was irresponsible to post this research, because it's really stupid. No one is going to argue with them that babies are conscious enough to understand they are being killed. That doesn't matter at all. That's not what this discussion is about.

This has absolutely nothing to do with abortion.