The Era of Women Playing Dumb For Men Has Ended - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Guys certainly aren't into that stuff - we like violence, death, sport, sex. We don't like having our tv screens filled with mushy sentimental bullshit.
Unless you're one of my guy friends, in which case you watch lifetime movies for the drama.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Marriage rarely works either so way so why bother in the first place?
Psychologists study marriage and they find their are 3 types of partners. There's the one night stand types. Those should be easy to point out. The trickier ones are romantic types. They are only interested in romance and when it naturally fizzles so does the relationship. The marriages that actually work are with types where they can tolerate life obstacles. People who don't give up on the marriage because the marriage is actually important to them (because of kids, loneliness, LOVE). Of course the person looking for a partner like this should also be doing the same thing or else it's still a bad match.

People shouldn't worry too much about hyper intelligence one way or another. They should see if the person is the type to handle obstacles because in order to have good jobs, raise babies and to deal with inevitable disease and decline a person must be resilient enough to accept real life. Romantic people don't accept reality (that's why they are romantic) and one night stand types just want sex.

EDIT: The source for this is the Owner's Manual of the Brain by Pierce Howard

Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:02 AM
I never played down my intelligence. Never made a big deal of it either. I never confused it with brilliance (allowed myself a brilliant flash now and again ) Didn't want to get married, so that wasn't an issue. Had nobody want to marry me, which was a whole other issue. I get along fine with men and women. I know plenty of people smarter than I am. I know some people not as smart. And I know people who are not as quick as I am, but understand things deeper and much more profoundly. We all have our places, our skills, our talents. I don't demean other people (well,usually. I have my limits) I don't demean myself and I don't let anyone demean me.

I find a lot of women who may not downplay their intelligence deliberately, but don't know how smart they are. I don't know a lot of women who overestimate their intelligence, but I know a fair amount of men who overestimate their own intelligence and are apt to demean women's intelligence (and other men's). Me, I think's it's nice if I can discuss Thomas Wolfe with somebody, but I can do that. So if I see somebody who has a skill I can't fathom (look at at a complex math problem and understand what it means, let alone solve it, or can fix my car engine or build my house) I'm absolutely respectful.

(And I love gossip, The Voice, Johnny Depp, comic strips and all things Charlie Sheen.) There is a time and a place for shallow and play and comic strips.

When I was younger, I used to be flattered when someone said I thought like a man. Now I just smile and tell them, I think like a woman.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post

(And I love gossip, The Voice, Johnny Depp, comic strips and all things Charlie Sheen.) There is a time and a place for shallow and play and comic strips.
I agree, there is

I don't see how celebrity or crap tv shows have anything to do with intelligence. I read and love trashy magazines, read trashy books, see silly vapid movies. I think that makes for a more well rounded person. Ever see the Jeopardy contestants who can't answer one question about popular culture? I think I have average intelligence, and I know for sure that one thing I can't stand is an intellectual snob. I don't pretend to have any less intelligence than I think I have, OR any more. I can't stand phony pretense either.

Emotional intelligence is just as important, often more important. And plenty of book smart genius types have little or no emotional intelligence.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I agree, there is

I don't see how celebrity or crap tv shows have anything to do with intelligence. I read and love trashy magazines, read trashy books, see silly vapid movies. I think that makes for a more well rounded person. Ever see the Jeopardy contestants who can't answer one question about popular culture? I think I have average intelligence, and I know for sure that one thing I can't stand is an intellectual snob. I don't pretend to have any less intelligence than I think I have, OR any more. I can't stand phony pretense either.

Emotional intelligence is just as important, often more important. And plenty of book smart genius types have little or no emotional intelligence.
Stupid is as stupid does, as Tom Hanks rightly reminded us.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Guess I'm smart enough not to care that you think that makes me stupid, or that anyone else does either.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Guess I'm smart enough not to care that you think that makes me stupid, or that anyone else does either.
Well done.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Yeah, I don't get into the snobbery thing, either. I can't stand people who feel the need to look down on others because of their taste in pop culture or where they live or how much money they make or whatever. It's really obnoxious and, if a man is acting that way, a definite turn-off for me.

Quote:
I find a lot of women who may not downplay their intelligence deliberately, but don't know how smart they are.
This is very true. Either they're very modest or they don't have people pointing out how smart they really are as often as they should.

Quote:
I don't know a lot of women who overestimate their intelligence, but I know a fair amount of men who overestimate their own intelligence and are apt to demean women's intelligence (and other men's).
Oh, hell, yes.

Quote:
Me, I think's it's nice if I can discuss Thomas Wolfe with somebody, but I can do that. So if I see somebody who has a skill I can't fathom (look at at a complex math problem and understand what it means, let alone solve it, or can fix my car engine or build my house) I'm absolutely respectful.
Agreed on this as well. I firmly believe everyone has something they're particularly good at.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
I never played down my intelligence. Never made a big deal of it either. I never confused it with brilliance (allowed myself a brilliant flash now and again ) Didn't want to get married, so that wasn't an issue. Had nobody want to marry me, which was a whole other issue. I get along fine with men and women. I know plenty of people smarter than I am. I know some people not as smart. And I know people who are not as quick as I am, but understand things deeper and much more profoundly. We all have our places, our skills, our talents. I don't demean other people (well,usually. I have my limits) I don't demean myself and I don't let anyone demean me.
Exactly! Intelligence is just like any other skill or trait a person can have. There are many things that make up who someone is and intelligence is never the be-all-end-all of anything. I know so many people who are way smarter than I am and have different talents than me.

Quote:
I find a lot of women who may not downplay their intelligence deliberately, but don't know how smart they are. I don't know a lot of women who overestimate their intelligence, but I know a fair amount of men who overestimate their own intelligence and are apt to demean women's intelligence (and other men's). Me, I think's it's nice if I can discuss Thomas Wolfe with somebody, but I can do that. So if I see somebody who has a skill I can't fathom (look at at a complex math problem and understand what it means, let alone solve it, or can fix my car engine or build my house) I'm absolutely respectful.
This is exactly how I feel.

Quote:
There is a time and a place for shallow and play and comic strips.
I think it's important for people to have a balance between intelligent and "shallow" activities. It's important to be silly and have a little fun sometimes.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
I think it's important for people to have a balance between intelligent and "shallow" activities. It's important to be silly and have a little fun sometimes.
This.

I can't believe the implication that reading a pop culture blog now and then or picking up a trashy magazine to read when on vacation or a rainy weekend makes women dumb. Hello, we don't all want to come home from a 12-hour work day and read Anna Karenina.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Anna Karenina.
Is she one of the new New York real housewives?

I'm going to delete all my books off my Kindle and download only the classics. The only ones I have on it are Little Women and Pride and Prejudice-of course those are just chick books by chicks.

I'm still trying to figure out how I got through two years of college with about a 3.5 GPA and two transfer years with a perfect 4, all the while being so stupid. That was long ago, so maybe I've just become progressively more stupid and vapid. Or I just cheated off some gun totin sex crazed guys.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Hello, we don't all want to come home from a 12-hour work day and read Anna Karenina.
pfft. That's romantic twaddle.

I come home from a 12-hour work day and read Ulysses.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
pfft. That's romantic twaddle.

I come home from a 12-hour work day and read Ulysses.
Now that's impressive!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
I wonder if men ever play dumb, does that ever even have to come into play?
"Do I look fat in this?"

" I don't know."
Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 09:02 PM
In high school I actually had a girl tell me that she couldn't follow a lot of what I said and she asked me if I could dumb it down a little. She's now an elementary school teacher.