Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
I actually think that excessive CEO salaries are one of Americas strong points. Have any of you ever been to a backward country? Where children drop out of school because there is no point? Women don't bother getting an education and just go to college to meet a doctor?

There is a certain 'avant garde' aspect to big salaries, just to enrage the lower the lower classes. Which is ok too.
what does the average salary of a ceo have to do with these "backward" mentalities? people don't drop out of school in said countries because a ceo earns less, but rather than there's even more (economic) inequality there. or because education is less important there and you're expected to take up the family business, so there's no need for higher education.

i'd be curious though to know why you think a ceo actually needs more money than they could possibly spend and give away, especially when these high salaries can come at the expensive of thousands of lower-paid employees.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:
Have any of you ever been to a backward country? Where children drop out of school because there is no point? Women don't bother getting an education and just go to college to meet a doctor?
Los Angeles Unified School District

Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfitz80 View Post
The title says it all. I believe the sense of entitlement that a growing number of people have come to have over recent decades is slowly killing America and other western countries. This issue is one that has been championed by political conservatives and while they are right on many accounts they don’t seem to understand that they are just as much a cause of the problem as those on the left.

The point is that both sides are to blame and it irks me when conservatives site the problem of “entitlement mentality” is being associated exclusively with liberalism and that if we did things their way America would be great again. Sorry, no deal. 8 years under Bush conservatism was entitlement mentality at its worst. I don’t think we’ve ever had a political leader who felt more entitled than he did to do pretty much whatever he damn well pleased regardless of what others think as long as it made him, his buddies and others in the upper classes richer. I think the best way to conclude this would be to say when it comes to this issue and the two ends of the political spectrum each side is guilty of what the other side says about them. And until we move beyond petty bickering and truly realize what what the essence of most of our problems is (we feel we deserve more than we are willing to work or pay for) America is going nowhere fast no matter who’s running the country.
Sounds like we need a strong leader, someone who can cut through the disagreement and demand consensus.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
I actually think that excessive CEO salaries are one of Americas strong points. Have any of you ever been to a backward country? Where children drop out of school because there is no point? Women don't bother getting an education and just go to college to meet a doctor?
You must have missed this, posted earlier by financeguy:

Quote:
In Scandinavian countries, CEO's only earn typically 5-10 times the average employee salary.
They're definitely slumming it out there in Norway with a standard of life measurably and consistently higher than that of an American.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

One of my recent blogs is on the issue of how people are paid. ..the focus is why teachers are paid so little, but perhaps it speaks to the issue of CEO pay as well.

Here's the link for those that are interested:

Here in America: The Best Job in the World: "Nobody Goes Into this Job for the Money"
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
One of my recent blogs is on the issue of how people are paid. ..the focus is why teachers are paid so little, but perhaps it speaks to the issue of CEO pay as well.

Here in America: The Best Job in the World: "Nobody Goes Into this Job for the Money"

*elevation
Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:

Fantastic blog. I liked your discussion about sports figures in comparison to teaching jobs. I have no problem with genuinely talented sports figures or musicians or actors getting paid, and paid well, for what they do (especially if they do use some of that money to give back to those who helped them get where they were and stuff). I want to be a writer, and I'd certainly love to be able to make enough to have a comfortable living.

But it has always been a gripe of mine that they get paid more than people such as teachers, firefighters, police, what have you. However, your theory as to why makes perfect sense.

And I also liked this part:

Quote:
After all, there are those who pursue medicine, law, or even professional sports “for the money” but the system ensures that the merely greedy will not succeed. First and foremost they must excel at what they do, and the same would be true for highly paid teachers. Granted, if nothing about our current approach to teaching changed except that we doubled all teachers’ salaries, you would have greedy, unprincipled people joining the teaching ranks just for the paycheck. But an increase in pay that came as a result of greater societal respect and greater selectivity in training and hiring would actually ensure that more than likely the teacher working with your child isn’t there solely because of the money.

Despite the hurdles of overwork, under-appreciation, and low pay countless excellent teachers continue to go to work every day in schools all across America. They believe that every child is of worth and value; they are eternal optimists, picturing every child as a success—perhaps not now, but surely someday. They may not make a lot of money, but they believe in their hearts that they are making something far more important: a difference.
Fully agreed. I don't understand the belief some people having about how teaching is an "easy" job that you alluded to. I've never thought that. It's not enough to just stand there and rattle off facts in front of a chalkboard. You have to do so in a way that the people you're telling this information to will understand it. You have to hold their attention. You have to know the material well enough to show you even have an idea of what you're talking about. You have to be comfortable speaking in front of people. You have to know what information is of particular note that demands to be taught. You have to have an inordinate amount of patience. And so on. I don't get how people don't realize that.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to look through your blog and see what else you have to say on other sorts of topics .

Angela
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post

Fully agreed. I don't understand the belief some people having about how teaching is an "easy" job that you alluded to.
The job itself is very hard, but the process of becoming a teacher is ridiculously easy.

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I'll have to look through your blog and see what else you have to say on other sorts of topics .

Angela
Thank you!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
The job itself is very hard, but the process of becoming a teacher is ridiculously easy.
I find that odd. I would think that'd be a profession that should have a rather rigorous amount of training involved, given what all the job entails.

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome !

Angela
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Fantastic blog. I liked your discussion about sports figures in comparison to teaching jobs. I have no problem with genuinely talented sports figures or musicians or actors getting paid, and paid well, for what they do

[...]

But it has always been a gripe of mine that they get paid more than people such as teachers, firefighters, police, what have you. However, your theory as to why makes perfect sense.
You know, my attitude toward pro athlete salaries and Hollywood salaries is interestingly pretty "devil's advocate" for these forums.

For the 'aggregate amount of happiness' a successful or even mediocre sports franchise can bring to the collective hearts of a city or region, I don't think pro athletes are overpaid at all. The nightly movements of star pro athletes are directly or indirectly related to national business, advertising, local business, etc.

For a sports fan or even a casual follower of a certain team, a local sports franchise is a quality of life factor, no matter how ridiculous that looks in writing, and pro sports are one of the broadest, most accessible 'past-times' out there.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

If p.s. 122 brought in 9 billion dollars a year, principal skinner would be paid like peyton manning
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #27
War Child

Does "tax cuts for the rich" count for entitlement?

"I made the dough myself; therefore, I am entitled to keep it."
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #28
War Child

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-o..._b_831394.html
Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #29
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

A unionized public employee, a Tea Partier and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table is a plate with a dozen cookies on it. The CEO reaches across and takes 11 cookies, then looks at the Tea Partier and says “Watch out for that union guy—he wants a piece of your cookie!”
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
A unionized public employee, a Tea Partier and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table is a plate with a dozen cookies on it. The CEO reaches across and takes 11 cookies, then looks at the Tea Partier and says “Watch out for that union guy—he wants a piece of your cookie!”