The drink driving laws are a form of tyranny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a country where someone like Donte Stallworth kills a man while driving drunk and is given 30 days in jail as a sentence ... you're wrong.

well he's a football player and they can get away with murder. didnt you learn anything from high school? :lol:

football players get special privileges normal people dont get when it comes to breaking the law.

I don't think anyone cares enough to keep stats about sober death on the roads. We need to start Mothers Against Sober Shitheads.

oh i get it! we should make driving sober illegal and mandatory intoxication requirement for driving! that would cut down on accidents!

I don't think anyone cares enough to keep stats about sober death on the roads.

Of course not.

I mean it isn't as if it's a factor in calculating car insurance.

That would be absurd.

Honestly sometimes the things I read on this board are really kinda :huh: to put it politely.

Of course not.

I mean it isn't as if it's a factor in calculating car insurance.

That would be absurd.

Honestly sometimes the things I read on this board are really kinda :huh: to put it politely.

Point me in the direction of places online where I can research driving records and criminal records of drivers involved in crashes. Obviously we don't have the same resources as the insurance companies.

Thank you, I was trying to find a polite way to say that...

Off topic. Do we have to be polite in PM's around here?

My point is what would be the point of the records rather than just the stats?

And why would you think there is some public lumping of vehicular charges out there for anyone to see? A collection of data is what you're looking for, not a collection of criminal records.

Point me in the direction of places online where I can research driving records and criminal records of drivers involved in crashes. Obviously we don't have the same resources as the insurance companies.

I don't have the time nor inclination to do your work for you, but you might go take a look at the National Safety Council, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Department of Transportation for starters. I know with certainty that they keep this sort of data.

There is a wealth of this information out there, the notion that it isn't being collected is rather :huh: as I said.

They are public record.

They'd have to do with punishments received for manslaughter cases.

Conviction rates and sentencing is something entirely different than the rate of accidents. You'd have to look at that state by state since you do not have a federal criminal system.

There are plenty of stats out there about accident averages, but there aren't really any about the average punishment.

My gripe is that even when an accident isn't even a factor, DUI is ten times as expensive as a speeding ticket. That much is a given, so is the fact that alcohol is only found to be involved in approximately 10% of crashes.

My gripe is that even when an accident isn't even a factor, DUI is ten times as expensive as a speeding ticket. That much is a given, so is the fact that alcohol is only found to be involved in approximately 10% of crashes.

No, that much is NOT a given.

I have shown you that in my jurisdiction, it simply is not true. Speeding tickets carry far greater penalties because of our stunt driving laws.

I want to see your statistics that show that DUI tickets are 10x more expensive. If you're going to make such a claim, then I want back up (because I don't believe it, for one, and because it's good form).

Well having had both and neither due to an accident I think I can speak from experience. $150 for speeding, 15 MPH over the limit. Roughly $2000 for a DUI, 48 hrs in jail, 1 year license suspension. Oddly enough my insurance didn't go up, I guess the insurance companies know it's mostly a scam.

Back
Top Bottom