The drink driving laws are a form of tyranny - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #331
War Child

Local Time: 04:17 AM
That's horrible. They should have at least appreciated he didn't drive drunk. Again, this is another reason why I firmly believe the cops care more about making money for their localities via fines than keeping people safe.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #332
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA View Post
Okay now here's a story for you! On Halloween night my roommate and I had a party. There were those there who were 19 and 20 and drinking but that was their own risk we did not give it to them. The stupid rednecks next door also had a party and they had loud rednecks and slutz over there. We were both playing music but theirs was louder. Someone somewhere called the cops which I never thought would happen because this is a shithole crack neighborhood where no one wants cops around but whatever someone did. Somebody told us there were 8 cops on the street who got out and were walking around with flashlights. We turned off the music and the lights and layed low. I didn't realize the terror of the situation at the time because I was so drunk but everyone came into my room and sat on the bed and looked out the window. Luckily they never came to the door or bugged us about noise, underage drinking, etc, and they left. We thought it was over but....

after they were gone awhile some of the party goers decided to leave. There were two girls 19 and 20 and the one driving was drunk and pregnant. Next thing I know the passenger girl called me on her cell phone and was crying that they had been pulled for drunk driving and the other girl was being pressed against the car, searched and getting handcuffed all the while shrieking that because her mom was a cop in the next town they couldn't do her that way. Both girls were arrested for underage drunkeness, and the driver was getting a DUI when the cops actually called and verified that the girl's mom was a cop at which point they apologized and let them both go! SO! If you are 19, pregnant and driving drunk but your mom is a cop, it's not a crime!

A guy who had also left was gotten for DUI because he did not have a relative who was a cop. So the moral of the story is:

If the cops are watching the party and leave, don't think they're gone, they're hiding down the road waiting for you to leave so they can nab you for DUI because this is a bigger moneymaking crime than just disturbing the peace or underage drinking. This proves that they do not care about safety only money. If they really wanted to keep the road safe from my friends they'd have been spying on them getting into the car and then gone up and said, hey, you're drunk, don't you drive that car, I'll take you home or call you a cab or you go back in your friends' place but don't drive. No, they only wanted the money. That is, unless someone's mom is a cop, then it's perfectly fine.

See how twisted and stupid it all is?
Oh, there's a lot of morals to be derived from that story, the least of which is the one you point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Leave the car at home and walk, you'll be fine fined.

Police: Drunk Lebanon County man hitched a ride from a state cop
By CHRIS A. COUROGEN, The Patriot-News
October 30, 2009, 9:32AM
Scott E. Heffelfinger was walking home from a bar on Jonestown Road in Union Township, Lebanon County, when he tried to hitch a ride from a passing state police patrol car. Hefflinger got that ride home, but he also received a citation for public drunkenness, state police said.

According to police, troopers were on patrol around 1:30 this morning on Jonestown Road when they observed Heffelfinger, 47, of Hemlock Drive in Fredericksburg, staggering and struggling to keep his balance. When they approached him, Heffelfinger stuck out his thumb, apparently to hitch a ride, police said.

Troopers questioned Heffelfinger, who told them he was walking home from Pa's Place, a bar in the 400 block of Jonestown Road. Police said he displayed multiple signs of being intoxicated.
Quote:
That's horrible. They should have at least appreciated he didn't drive drunk. Again, this is another reason why I firmly believe the cops care more about making money for their localities via fines than keeping people safe.
"Appreciated he didn't drive drunk"? What if while hitching a ride he staggered out into the street and got hit by a car, or caused an accident because the car swerved to miss him? He was still a danger...

Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #333
War Child

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

"Appreciated he didn't drive drunk"? What if while hitching a ride he staggered out into the street and got hit by a car, or caused an accident because the car swerved to miss him? He was still a danger...

Paranoid.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #334
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Paranoid.
Nice try...

but that's the point of many laws. School zone traffic laws are preventative measures, are you going to call them all "paranoid"?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #335
War Child

Do you feel that no one should drink in bars?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #336
War Child

Yeah Hyper, I agree, that's really grasping at straws there. If he was so 'in danger' that's even more reason to do the right thing and just take him home but not cause him more grief by bringing charges against him. Poor guy his life must have been a mess anyway. I know from experience, these fines only make things worse. People need help not another bill to pay- so again it all comes back to the fact that localities and cops are more interested in getting money than stopping drunks or helping them. The more who get drunk and the more repeat offenders, the more $$$$!

And while I'm at it, I am sick to death of all the outrageous, worst case scenario new laws aimed allegedly at 'safety.' I could make a long list, including some that are now trying to ban roadside vegetable stands. In one of my classes we were discussing this- the 'man' needs to keep everyone controlled by something, it used to be religion but that's losing its hold on many so the next thing is fear itself! Keep everyone afraid of everything, paranoid that something 'might' happen so they'll always be afraid and that way the man can keep them in line better- but I still think $$$ is the main objective!

Oh and does no one care that my friend got off because her mom is a cop? That's corruption and should be more illegal than drunk driving.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #337
War Child

Well if they cared about safety over money they'd put interlock in every car, but first they should stop making cars that go over 50mph.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #338
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Do you feel that no one should drink in bars?
I do all the time, what's your point?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #339
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I do all the time, what's your point?
Just wondering how close to prohibition you support.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #340
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If he was so 'in danger' that's even more reason to do the right thing and just take him home but not cause him more grief by bringing charges against him.
"Cause him more grief"?

The law is not designed to be empathetic to someone's bad day, "yeah he was a danger, but the poor guy had a bad day, that's why he got so drunk"...
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #341
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Just wondering how close to prohibition you support.
Not once have I gotten close to prohibition, but nice try...

Fail again.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #342
War Child

Just checking. I can see you being on board for that.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #343
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I can see you being on board for that.
I'm for the legalization of most drugs, but I also believe in taking responsibilities for your actions.

Once again, nice try, but fail...

Maybe you should quit trying. Never have I made a post that suggest I'm on board for prohibition.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #344
War Child

I didn't mean that you had, just that you seem like the type that could. I think you prefer more and more legislation while wanting legalization. Odd. The DUI laws reallly screw marijuana users hard.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #345
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Well you think wrong...

And um, that's because marijuana is still illegal. Of course DUI laws are going to apply to them, they should apply to those on prescriptions too if it's impaired their judgement.