Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #301
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
The true danger of drinking and driving is bringing home someone like this.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #302
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
in 2005 i was pulled over after getting off a train because i had a tail light out. before i got on the train i had a few drinks.

my BAC was just a hair over the legal limit. if it had been 2 years earlier, my BAC would have been well below the legal limit and they would have let me go on the spot.

i was arrested by a NY State Trooper and brought to their station house... i did not have to spend any time in jail and was released within a few hours.

i had a good lawyer whom i had known most my life who just happened to have worked as an assistant DA with the Judge whom i was assigned to. because my BAC was so close to the legal limit, and because i had a good lawyer, i was able to cut a plea, dropping the DUI to a charge of DWAI (driving while ability impaired).

i served 40 hours of community service... which i did at a local state park doing manual labor. i served my last 8 hours during a blizzard, clearing snow away from some of the buildings on the boardwalk as unbelievably cold wind whipped in off the Long Island Sound.

i was suspended from a volunteer coaching position.

had to pay $500 in fines, lawyer fees (thankfully less than they would have been due to my longtime relationship with the lawyer... he was my neighbor), and another $750, payable over 3 years, in "driver assesment fees"

i had a conditional liscense for 6 months in which i could only drive to work/school. had my photo ID taken away from me during this period.

my car insurance sky rocketed... it has only just recently come back down, but is still much higher than it should have been... i had to live with my parents for much longer than i ever would have wanted to because of this. all the fines and extra fees and insurance strained my finances, hurting my credit score.

and it's all my fault. i have every reason to be bitter about it... i was barely over the limit, a limit which was just recently changed. i wasn't speeding, i wasn't swerving all over the road... i was on a straight stretch of road 10 minutes from my house, and the only reason why i was pulled over was because my taillight was out.

but i'm not... it was a stupid decision, one i regret, and one i'll never make again. i still drink, but have not and will not ever get behind the wheel of a car again after doing so... even after having just a couple. i would gladly pay the occasional obscene cab ride fare to get the thousands of dollars that i have lost in fines and increased insurance rates.

so yea... these fines and rules are a major pain in the ass. and that's the point. it was the most humiliating time of my life... one i will never go through again.

knowing how embarassing it is... how financialy deblitating it can be... if you continue to do it regardless of all that, then you need to check yourself into rehab, because you obviously can not make rational decisions when you drink.

everyone makes mistakes along the way... if you can not learn from those mistakes, then you have a problem.
Sounds like you were unlucky. Still, it's good that you learned the requisite lesson.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #303
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
I just don't see it as a mistake.
Part of the entitled generation. If I don't get caught, then it's not wrong...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Part of the entitled generation. If I don't get caught, then it's not wrong...
I think the other part is: "If I don't think it's wrong, then it is not wrong."
Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #306
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

True.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #307
Refugee

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I think the other part is: "If I don't think it's wrong, then it is not wrong."
on the flipside, and im not specifically talking about drunk driving, "oh well its against 'the law' so it MUST be wrong."

like underage drinking or marijuana usage, gambling & prostitution etc etc. things that should probably be legal, and MOST people probably wouldnt mind them being legal, but arent since the powers that be think it shouldnt, for whatever reason.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Of course you can take both points to the extreme. And you can argue the validity of many laws, the reasons behind or the structure of penality. But in the end one point remains, as long as something is illegal, you can't break the law and justify yourself by saying, "But I don't like this law/the penalty!" And those who repeatedly break laws on purpose put themselves in a very bad position to argue their validity.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #309
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
on the flipside, and im not specifically talking about drunk driving, "oh well its against 'the law' so it MUST be wrong."
Indeed. Or "if the government thinks it's wrong, then it must be."
Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #310
War Child

I don't think it's wrong to speed either. It's just wrong to crash. I prefer personal responsibility. I've had plenty of nights where I knew I couldn't drive, and I didn't. I've had plenty where I knew I'd be fine and I was.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #311
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't think it's wrong to speed either. It's just wrong to crash. I prefer personal responsibility.
And speeding increases your likelihood of crashing, so where does "personal responsibility" come in? Where does "personal responsibilty" come in when you can't brake quick enough in order to avoid a crash?

Quote:
I've had plenty of nights where I knew I couldn't drive, and I didn't. I've had plenty where I knew I'd be fine and I was.
You joked about being impaired enough to bring home the "ugly" girl, but yet you think you have complete control over an automobile? Do you honestly think there isn't a delay in reaction time due to alcohol?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #312
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Indeed. Or "if the government thinks it's wrong, then it must be."
This can pretty much be applied to any group. Just subsitute "government" with "conservative", "liberal", "school", "parents", etc...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #313
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And speeding increases your likelihood of crashing, so where does "personal responsibility" come in? Where does "personal responsibilty" come in when you can't brake quick enough in order to avoid a crash?

You joked about being impaired enough to bring home the "ugly" girl, but yet you think you have complete control over an automobile? Do you honestly think there isn't a delay in reaction time due to alcohol?
Take a fucking joke. I have time to stop myself in both cases.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #314
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Take a fucking joke.
I acknowledged that it was a joke, please re-read. But there's a reason it's a very cliched joke, because alcohol DOES impair your judgement.

Quote:
I have time to stop myself in both cases.
So says everyone until it happens.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #315
War Child

I've taken ugly home sober, alcohol doesn't act alone.