The drink driving laws are a form of tyranny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't know those people personally like I do. I am absolutely right.

What people? The lawyers who are collecting all these awesome fees working petty criminal defense and using their vast levels of influence with legislative bodies in order to keep generating said fees?

I don't think there's been any major campaign by them but it's obviously the reason why the laws will never be repealed. It's too profitable for lawyers and localities. Look at the local police blogger for most towns, it's 90% pot possession or drunk driving.

There are a lot of reasons. Revenue is not one of them, for pharmaceutical companies, farmers, and taxes alone would bring in more income than petty misdemeanor charges...

The pharmaceutical companies are another reason. They like to get everyone hooked on chilling out with other things besides pot, so they get the money. Really pot is no worse than all the anti depressants and shit so many people live on these days. They make you feel better so does pot what's the fucking difference? Oh yeah..who's getting the money...

Status quo and the religious right are probably two of the biggest reasons it's not legal.

That is part of it but money is at the root of it.

I don't think there's been any major campaign by them but it's obviously the reason why the laws will never be repealed. It's too profitable for lawyers and localities. Look at the local police blogger for most towns, it's 90% pot possession or drunk driving.

What laws should get repealed? Drunk drivers *should* be fined and repeat offenders should get jail time.

And when they do get tossed in the slammer, do you think that the fines they paid cover the costs of their incarceration? It's not a moneymaker for localities and it's a big waste of time for lawyers.

You really have no clue as to what you are talking about, local and federal governments would make money on the taxes just like cigarettes and alcohol. MUCH MUCH MORE than petty misdemeanors which many go unpaid.

Then why don't they do it?!

Stigma. Plain and simple, it's been illegal so long that it's just considered an evil, there is a vocal minority that will always be against it no matter how much science you show them. Then there is a large fairly apathetic crowd that maybe if you showed them the science they would consider it but to get that kind of platform in the mainstream will be very difficult given the stigma surrounding it.

Back
Top Bottom