The drink driving laws are a form of tyranny - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #211
War Child

Local Time: 11:26 AM
I have a new idea:

Make drunk driving legal, if they can make it home, God bless them. BUT---

IF they hurt someone, it's a mandatory 3 year jail sentence, no way out, no exceptions

IF they KILL someone, it's mandatory LIFE in prison, no way out, no parole, no excuses

If that doesn't scare people then they deserve to go to jail. However most of them are not that impaired and do make it home and the cops and localities are only using the drunk driving laws to make money and it's not teaching anyone anything.

So while you're at it, make drugs and prositution legal, why is this any of anybody else's business? Legalizing them will cut down on the crime associated with them too.

Do the 3 above things and localities can get rid of about 3/4 of their police and detectives and empty out about 3/4 of their prison cells, making taxes lower for all of us!

How's that for a brave new world?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #212
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA View Post
I have a new idea:

IF they hurt someone, it's a mandatory 3 year jail sentence, no way out, no exceptions

IF they KILL someone, it's mandatory LIFE in prison, no way out, no parole, no excuses

If that doesn't scare people then they deserve to go to jail. However most of them are not that impaired and do make it home and the cops and localities are only using the drunk driving laws to make money and it's not teaching anyone anything.

i guess it sucks to be the dead person.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #213
War Child

But you have to consider that the current drunk driving laws would not necessarily have saved the person, and that the person might not die at all because with the new laws the drunks may be too afraid of mandatory life in jail to take the chance.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But you have to consider that the current drunk driving laws would not necessarily have saved the person, and that the person might not die at all because with the new laws the drunks may be too afraid of mandatory life in jail to take the chance.

the point of the drunk driving laws is to prevent someone from driving drunk, or to stop someone who is driving drunk before someone is killed.

the laws you are suggesting only deal with the situation after someone is injured or killed. not a thought to prevention, just punishment.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #215
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I have a new idea:

This makes no sense. That's like saying drive as fast as you can in front of a school until you hit someone...
Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #216
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the point of the drunk driving laws is to prevent someone from driving drunk, or to stop someone who is driving drunk before someone is killed.
So is the general idea, but it's not working that way. It's just a way to have a lot of cops sitting around and hiding looking for someone to harass and a way to get money for the localities and the stupid ineffective 'counseling' programs (remember my Dad and his 22 yr. old 'counseler' who only plays with her cell phone) They are looking for people who may be drunk, and sometimes test those who aren't. If they were really only waiting for blatant weaver who can't stay on the road, I'd buy it, but not as it is now. That may be the original intention, but not the way it's turned out.

Quote:
the laws you are suggesting only deal with the situation after someone is injured or killed. not a thought to prevention, just punishment.
No. The prevention is, if they get caught, it's not a stupid counseling class and fines, but the reality JAIL for sure. That should go a long way in preventing the idiocy of driving drunk.

Because all they do is nag people to get fines, that shows money and not reaL prevention is the main goal of the laws.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #217
Blue Crack Distributor

AnnRKey, you're crazy.

Strict DWI/DUI rules may not prevent the crime, but it certainly helps prevent non-alcoholics from doing it again.

Those who continue to commit the crime after being caught and going through the embarassment, humiliation and financial hit that comes along with it are alcoholics. They can not make a proper choice when it comes to alcohol.

If you want to argue that sentances for repeat offenders should come with mandatory counseling and rehab instead of extended jail time, you may actually have a point.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No. The prevention is, if they get caught, it's not a stupid counseling class and fines, but the reality JAIL for sure. That should go a long way in preventing the idiocy of driving drunk.

do you know anyone who would stop and say, "whoops! guess i better not drive drunk on the off chance that i kill someone, i'll go to jail for life."

no. most people who drive drunk mistakenly think they are more sober than they are, or are so fucked up they don't even give it a second thought. the point of police stopping drivers -- while, i agree, it IS annoying and i do think the police are much too happy to pull over a grandmother who had a hot toddy at the Christmas party -- is to weed out the potentially deadly drivers *before* they kill someone.

most people who do kill via drunk driving are already sentenced very heavily and absolutely vilified by society. it doesn't work as much of a deterrent, i see no reason why life in prison would make any whit of difference.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I have a new idea:

It's a really stupid idea and frankly goes against the principles of criminal law.

Arguably the most effective way of dealing with drunk drivers is to require breathalyzers to be installed in every vehicle so that you can't turn the engine on unless you blow below whatever the legal limit is. Of course there is the concern that a sober person will blow on your behalf, so there should be corresponding and VERY heavy sanctions imposed on such fraud.

No system would ever be perfect but that is true of every crime.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #220
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 PM
"drunk" driving here in the VI is tolerated and almost never enforced. funny that we have to wear seatbelts and cant talk on the phone while driving, but pounding a beer while driving is fine.

i drive home what would be considered over the limit in the states pretty much every time i go out, which isnt very often.

i guess the max speed limit on the island being 35 and very low traffic after dark has something to do with it.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #221
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Arguably the most effective way of dealing with drunk drivers is to require breathalyzers to be installed in every vehicle so that you can't turn the engine on unless you blow below whatever the legal limit is. Of course there is the concern that a sober person will blow on your behalf, so there should be corresponding and VERY heavy sanctions imposed on such fraud.
that'd be nifty, actually. we have all this other technology in vehicles, surely something like this could be put in a car?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 AM
alcohol interlock devices are fitted here for repeat offenders and are pretty effective. they propbably will become part of cars in the future, like ABS, and airbags have become.
quite frankly im glad we have mandatory brethalyser tests and drug testing when you get pulled over, and hoon drives can have their cars impounded on the spot. fantastic. sadly we still lose around 300 people (in victoria ) a year in road accidents and thousands more are horrifically injured.
drinking driving and speed are usually factors involved.
i think most aussies would happily see more cops and booze buses out there if it means pulling the piss heads off the road so the rest of us can get home in intact to see our families.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
alcohol interlock devices are fitted here for repeat offenders and are pretty effective. they propbably will become part of cars in the future, like ABS, and airbags have become.
Same here.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #224
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:26 PM
Australia has really got mad into the political correctness in recent years. Why don't they just ban grog altogether and have done with it?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quite unrelated to booze but when I am out on the er, Australian, highways, driving at the speed limit of 100km/h, everyone - and I mean everyone - overtakes me. Which means the majority are substantially exceeding the legal speed limit at all times. Not a cop in sight.

How's that for political correctness, guys?