Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
Strongbow has no concept of anything, never mind basic statistics.

She has a long history of proving this.
Wait. . .

Strongbow is a SHE?

Really?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Those 27 months coincide more or less with the bubble period - i.e., unsustainable. Asset price bubbles are of their nature unsustainable.
Well, one could argue about all the things that went into impacting the unemployment rate during that time period, but the point remains that this was a very long period of sustained low unemployment in the country's history that is being ignored or is in fact unknown to many people in this forum. People claim this was the decade from hell, but one quarter of this decade had some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country's history.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

the total lack of analysis is mind boggling.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #64
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the total lack of analysis is mind boggling.
Your analysis on this topic I agree has been lacking. You need to consider a few things before jumping on the liberal bandwagon and calling it the decade from hell.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

we have an extensive piece of analysis by one of the biggest magazines in the world on one hand, and we have our most slavishly agenda-oriented poster on the other.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

we have an extensive piece of analysis by one of the biggest magazines in the world
One of the biggest LIBERAL magazines in the world. . .
Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Well, one could argue about all the things that went into impacting the unemployment rate during that time period, but the point remains that this was a very long period of sustained low unemployment in the country's history that is being ignored or is in fact unknown to many people in this forum.
To summarize this post:

"We could talk about why it happened, but that might mean that I'm not entirely correct, so let's go back to what I said so that I'm right."
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 12:39 AM
wow, many of those photos (with respect!) capture so much emotion - 'the moment in time' really.

Im so glad they have given the option of viewing a photo that could offend or be disturbing, better than finding it thrust in your face.

thank you for posting that link. quite something.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #69
Refugee

Quote:

we have an extensive piece of analysis by one of the biggest magazines in the world on one hand, and we have our most slavishly agenda-oriented poster on the other.

Wonderful. More pointless labling of forum members.

Anyways, lets take a look at some of the points this so called extensive piece of analysis brought out, and what it left out:

Quote:
To paraphrase the question Ronald Reagan posed years ago, Are you better off today than you were at the beginning of the decade? For most of us, the answer is a resounding no. Let us count the ways. For one thing, the stock market is down 26% since 2000, making this the worst decade for stocks. (Inflation-adjusted, it's even worse.) I remember Warren Buffett telling me at the beginning of the decade that there was no way the go-go returns of the 1990s were going to continue and that we had better get used to meager returns going forward. Buffett saw it coming.
Stocks are down 26%, meaning this is the worst decade from hell? The vast majority of people in this world don't even own stock.

Quote:
For the average working stiff, it was a pretty lousy 10 years. The median household income in 2000 was $52,500. Last year (the most recent year available) it was $50,303.
Only $50,303 dollars in 2008. What a nightmare.

Its only after that that they actually start to deal with some truely relevant statistics like Poverty Rate and Unemployment Rate, but again, its only based on a snap shot of a point in time in 2000, and one in 2009. To the people at TIME MAGAZINE, the fact that the unemployment rate was below 5% for 27 consecutive months in Bush's second administration never happened! But of course, they will include pictures of people being killed and maimed from those months.

This is a laughably poor analysis of the past decade and is something that is cherry picked to promote an agenda.

An objective analysis would look at all the data from every month of the decade, not just the first month and the last month!

An objective look at loss of life figures, military casualties figures, Unemployment rates, inflation rates, GDP Growth rates, Debt as a percentage of GDP, the poverty rate are the types of things that need to be examined throughout each decade in order to assess which decade was better or worse.

The pictures won't show this was the worst one since the 1930s or even the so called "decade from hell". There are pictures from every decade showing the same type of hardship, pain, and loss of life.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The vast majority of people in this world don't even own stock.
If thats not setting yourself up to be shot down, I dont know what is
Old 01-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Stocks are down 26%, meaning this is the worst decade from hell? The vast majority of people in this world don't even own stock.
Perhaps a better response to this point is that this is a flawed metric, in general. Sure, if you invested on January 1, 2000 and never bought or sold anything up to December 31, 2009, you'd have lost 26% on average.

If one was more active, and, say, sold riding a high or bought during a low--and "buying" can be as simple as maintaining a recurring 401K investment and "selling" as simple as doing periodic portfolio re-balancing, as suggested--then, certainly, I'd say it is more than possible to have profited during this decade. Having been a more serious investor over the last few years, I did hold during the market downturn, losing about 2/3 of my investments; but, due to maintaining my automatic monthly investments throughout this period and up to today, I've pretty much already recovered all of my losses in one year. And if I had sold before the market went sour in 2008 and bought again near the bottom, I'd have at least doubled my investment.

All in all, I'd say that the most bullish and bearish aspects of the last decade have been overstated, at least from a stock performance scenario.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Perhaps a better response to this point is that this is a flawed metric, in general. Sure, if you invested on January 1, 2000 and never bought or sold anything up to December 31, 2009, you'd have lost 26% on average.

If one was more active, and, say, sold riding a high or bought during a low--and "buying" can be as simple as maintaining a recurring 401K investment and "selling" as simple as doing periodic portfolio re-balancing, as suggested--then, certainly, I'd say it is more than possible to have profited during this decade. Having been a more serious investor over the last few years, I did hold during the market downturn, losing about 2/3 of my investments; but, due to maintaining my automatic monthly investments throughout this period and up to today, I've pretty much already recovered all of my losses in one year. And if I had sold before the market went sour in 2008 and bought again near the bottom, I'd have at least doubled my investment.

All in all, I'd say that the most bullish and bearish aspects of the last decade have been overstated, at least from a stock performance scenario.
It occurs to me that during our threads on here on the economy and the downturn back in 2007 and 2008, every single call I made on here was right - and yet as of now, I'm actually down on my initial stake owing to a combination of poor timing and bad risk management. The markets can be cruel! Still, I'm down by less than the average fund manager, I'd wager.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #73
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It occurs to me that during our threads on here on the economy and the downturn back in 2007 and 2008, every single call I made on here was right - and yet as of now, I'm actually down on my initial stake owing to a combination of poor timing and bad risk management. The markets can be cruel! Still, I'm down by less than the average fund manager, I'd wager.
What do you think about 2010?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #74
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:39 PM
I agree!

Quote:
Wonderful. More pointless labling of forum members.
Little San Francisco.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #75
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Little San Francisco.
The difference is, that is not directed at anyone in particular. Just the entire forum including myself.