the decade from hell - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 06:36 AM
that picture with the white stripes and the elephant is creepy..

Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

You can find both horror and great beauty and joyfulness in any decade. Just depends where you choose to look.
This is very true. Our pastor yesterday, in reflecting on the decade that was, said something interesting -- that crisis is when true heroes arise, and so he postulated that this last decade may also be known as the decade of heroism. Not to deny the horrors that occured, but to point out that, from firefighters in NYC to rescuers in New Orleans, heroes still rose to the occasion.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:36 AM
I deleted all the reasons this decade sucked simply because I refuse to belive this is the way it's going to be every other decade.
I haven't felt so financially stressed since the 80's and I had credit card debt back then. I don't now - and don't have a mortgage either, but I'm struggling as hard now as I did back then.
It really doesn't make any sense and it shouldn't be this way.
Goodbye to the 00's.. it's been real, a real drag.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:36 PM
You want the decade from hell? Europe in the 1340s.

I think the 'end of history' that Melon alluded to, has a lot to answer for. That whole 1989-1993 period (roughly: I lump the beginning of the end of the Iron Curtain and the end of apartheid in South Africa as bracketing a loose era of good feelings) was so much of a Hollywood happy ending that it inspired some triumphalist drivel and obscured the fact that nothing ever really ends. For one thing, a less complacent country would never, I hope, have let George W. Bush within spitting distance of a presidential nomination, let alone election (and make no mistake, it wasn't a nation in crisis, but a nation that felt like politics didn't much matter and besides everything was a-o-k, that watched over the 2000 circus). But them were the times.

This decade reminds me of nothing so much as its exact mirror 100 years ago, the Edwardian era just before everything exploded. Of course nothing ever exactly repeats, so don't quote me some day as predicting a third world war in the 2010s. A long era of awkward and insufficient institutions, economy and politics, certainly that part looks likely enough.

On a personal note, it has blown the big one, but, them's the breaks.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #35
War Child

I like the term Big Zero:

Quote:
But from an economic point of view, I’d suggest that we call the decade past the Big Zero. It was a decade in which nothing good happened, and none of the optimistic things we were supposed to believe turned out to be true.

-Paul Krugman, December 27, 2009
Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

You can find both horror and great beauty and joyfulness in any decade. Just depends where you choose to look.
EXACTLY!!

Decades, everyone! 10 years is too long for it to be one mood, one feeling, one single all encompassing state of affairs. Every decade has its terrorism, civil wars and of course, natural disasters.

Plus, there is the "world events" side of things and the "personal side of things." One could suck, the other could be just fine, as others have alluded to.

The way I see it:

World events: Too much promise to start, too many opportunities lost along the way. We start out- 2000- peace and prosperity, on our way to paying off our debt and forgiving African debt-- then before 9/11 even happens, America is back in deficit! In my view, the previous Bush administration was devastating for our economy, much of what we deal with know can be traced back to their reckless actions. 9/11- a horrible tragedy, and an opportunity for world unity against the common threat of terrorism is shattered by a diversion to Iraq. Missed opportunities to make progress against terrorism in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Somalia result. The Israel-Palestine issue received much less attention than due. Tsunami, Katrina, Korea and Iran.

Personally: I was just fine! Started out the decade in 7th grade, finished it out as a recent college graduate. Every year was reasonably positive and fulfilling for me until 2009, when I had to deal with the illness and death of my father. Hoping for a better 2010!

Same to all of you!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

perhaps "decade from Hell" is pretty America-centric. i think it was the worst decade for the US since the 1930s, and though there was far greater mass death for the US in the 1940s, one could argue that the loss of life defeated fascism.

India, China, Indonesia, Brazil, South Africa -- all had a very good decade, and Europe has certainly been through worse.

but for the US, it's been shameful in many ways, and as nathan pointed out, at least the everyday heroes did rise to the occasion.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
perhaps "decade from Hell" is pretty America-centric. i think it was the worst decade for the US since the 1930s, and though there was far greater mass death for the US in the 1940s, one could argue that the loss of life defeated fascism.

India, China, Indonesia, Brazil, South Africa -- all had a very good decade, and Europe has certainly been through worse.

but for the US, it's been shameful in many ways, and as nathan pointed out, at least the everyday heroes did rise to the occasion.
Good point here!

To make matters worse for the US, we seemed to view India, Brazil and China having a good decade as some kind of zero sum game. So instead of competing and innovating and working to be the best, we seemed to retreat into finger pointing and negative talk about globalization.

Unfortunately, we saw what you mentioned not as an opportunity to compete, but as a threat. Too bad.

Of course, as always, the everyday heroes came through, as did our military families, seeing as they were the only ones who sacrificed during this time.

As always, the everyday heroes did rise to the occassion!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Indonesia
ass
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post

yeah, well, you know ...
Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:

Worst decade for the US since the 1930s? I don't think so.

01. The 00s average unemployment rate and inflation rate were lower than the 1990s, 1980s, and 1970s!

02. The 00s poverty rate was lower than ANY decade in US history with exception of the 1970s.

03. GDP growth throughout the decade was not radically lower than any previous US decade and higher in several cases.

04. The average national debt as a percentage of GDP was higher in the 1990s and 1950s and 1940s.

05. Overall US standard of living increased over the past 10 years.

06. More US citizens go to college and graduate than 10 years ago.

07. The average life expectancy for US citizens has increased.

08. There have been many advances in medicine and technology that have improved the lives of many people in excess of previous decades.

09. Wars in the 1770s, 1780s, 1840s, 1860s, 1910s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, took FAR more US lives than the ones in the 2000s.

10. Ask people in Rawanda and Bosnia and they will tell you the decade from hell was the 1990s and with good reason. Those conflicts killed more people in a shorter amount of time than anything seen worldwide over the past decade.

Bottom line, claiming that the past decade was the decade from hell or the worst decade in US history since the 1930s, perhaps because George Bush was president during most of it, is nothing more than wishful thinking.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Take that, liberals!!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post

02. The 00s poverty rate was lower than ANY decade in US history with exception of the 1970s.
Strangely enough, the naughties also so men displaying chest hair more freely than any decade other than the 1970's. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Strangely enough, the naughties also so men displaying chest hair more freely than any decade other than the 1970's. Coincidence? I think not.
I personally think an awful lot of the world's problems could be solved in one fell swoop by the return of the mustache.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Surely Toronto's hipsters cant be the only ones sporting mustaches... I guess you could mean real mustaches and not bad teenage ones