The Death of FYM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
would a deeper personal knowledge of each other, allow for more sensible conversations? Or just breed more contempt?

No, I really don't think it would allow more sensible conversations. Also, perhaps I'm paranoid, but what if personal attacks carry over to Facebook? I mean, if we're supposed to know the real names of people, someone with emotional problems could easily write on someone's wall something nasty in relations to a FYM topic.

ETA: Besides, I've had discussions with people face-to-face that led to nasty remarks, so having a Facebook page for FYM wouldn't calm anything down.

I can't believe some people spend so much time analyzing and thinking about it :shrug: That's a sort of parody too.

I think there's nothing wrong with earnestness. We can overstate the obvious that this place, at its most material, is a series of impersonal digital bits. And if one wants to reduce it to that, then so be it.

But I'd venture to say that, for some people, it's more than just ones and zeroes, and that there's a realization that there's actual people behind these otherwise inane debates that are worth getting to know and understand.

I'm not sure where I fall under in this continuum anymore, honestly, but I have no problem with this kind of discussion.

What's fascinating to me is that beyond the obvious parody parade of responses, the traffic around this thread has been like no other in quite a long time.

There is definitely an appetite for something other. And I'm thinking that it goes far, far beyond FYM.

I think there is a frustration because this forum has/had potential, but I think for the most part people have given up trying because somehow it always ends up in the same place.. (Not like I'm adding anything scintillating to it, but I used to extend some effort.) I remember (or maybe I just think I do) being able to get in some interesting conversation in the middle of the nonsense. There were always the rigid thinkers but I think there were a variety of posters with more flexibility. We discussed different things in addition to the hot button topics. We played more. We didn't draw as many lines in the sand. There were other women who participated frequently. It was fun. Maybe I was fairly new so it stimulated me, but I don't recall the same threads staying on the first page very long.

We periodically had these soul-searching discussions on why fym was disintegrating.
I think there's some hunger, Ali. I think maybe we're looking for better grazing elsewhere.

Maybe we keep coming back just in case.

I have been banned from two official Bob Dylan forums
and a forum about living in the the country.

*and a few more

Not from misbehavior, but simply from posting the Sunday Dispatches.

I'm glad this forum is here and I'm very glad that we are allowed the freedom to post.

Of course, per the article, that only works if the conversation is substantive.:wink:

I disagree completely. I for one know my "style" in the past was wrong and I was called out on it from people who shared my same views.

I vaguely remember getting chastized for pointing this out...that back in 2002 people on both sides would band together over "style" issues. It felt good to know that BVS would have my back, not over content of post, but "style".

There was a time when I would get PM from some of the conservatives telling me that I had possible pushed to hard or taken something too personal.

THos days disappeared.

I think there's nothing wrong with earnestness. We can overstate the obvious that this place, at its most material, is a series of impersonal digital bits. And if one wants to reduce it to that, then so be it.

But I'd venture to say that, for some people, it's more than just ones and zeroes, and that there's a realization that there's actual people behind these otherwise inane debates that are worth getting to know and understand.

I wasn't suggesting at all that it's about not realizing and/or caring that there are actual people worth getting to know and understand. Honestly this place used to be much more personal in years past and it had that quality, but it lost that some time ago so I gave up on that too and stopped looking for that here. So I didn't think it was about earnestness.

But it is an internet forum and there's now an ignore forum feature. Many things bug me in FYM and in other parts of this forum, but I have found it much easier personally to spend less time here and at Int in general, ignore, etc. rather than dwell and comment and..whatever. So coming from that point of view I don't understand it, that's all I was trying to say.

I vaguely remember getting chastized for pointing this out...that back in 2002 people on both sides would band together over "style" issues. It felt good to know that BVS would have my back, not over content of post, but "style".

There was a time when I would get PM from some of the conservatives telling me that I had possible pushed to hard or taken something too personal.

THos days disappeared.

Perhaps that's a matter of perspective. I certainly remember all the dragons I had to slay in those days, not because of mere disagreements, but that the tone of discourse against me could be very nasty and quite personal. And it certainly took a while to get moderators to sort that mess out.

With a few exceptions, I do think that discourse here is more civil than in those days, but probably as partisan and ideologically driven as ever. Of course, such is the case of society-at-large, as well.

Perhaps that's a matter of perspective. I certainly remember all the dragons I had to slay in those days, not because of mere disagreements, but that the tone of discourse against me could be very nasty and quite personal. And it certainly took a while to get moderators to sort that mess out.

With a few exceptions, I do think that discourse here is more civil than in those days, but probably as partisan and ideologically driven as ever. Of course, such is the case of society-at-large, as well.

But Melon, there were people who crossed aisles when you were slaying those dragons. You and I debated and I had to elevate my game to even pretend to be in your league. But when people got out of line, it did not matter what ideaology, they crossed lines publicly and behind the scenes to stand up for you, me, and others when the line was crossed.

I miss Yolland. . . :(

Does anyone know if she's still around?

I'm sad that FYM has apparently entered a stagnant period. This has been a fantastic place.

I haven't been around much. I've been busy, of course. I just started my Masters which I'm taking online through a local university so that takes up time. But then I've always been busy and I used to make time in a way that I don't now.

I still pop into Interference almost everyday, though it's usually the Zoo TV forum. I'm watching a lot of TV right now and I follow the threads on my shows there (I see some of you FYM regulars over there). The threads don't move as fast as they do here so it's easy to keep up. I've always tended to get discoruaged if I can't keep up with a thread and that happens a lot here.

I do feel like the loss of several key conservative voices has been bad for the forum. The few that are left tend to parrot the talk radio lines and seem to take pleasure in tweaking the liberal majority rather than marshalling serious arguments. (I mean no disrespect to those posters in saying this nor am I trying to make any judgements about their character. It just seems that this is the approach they prefer to bring to FYM, and I wish we had more than JUST that approach coming from the conservative viewpoint).

I hope we see a FYM revival in the future. This place has fantastic potential and regardless of what happens in the future, I have to say this place has had a profound, positive, impact on my life.

Back
Top Bottom