The Death of FYM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some reason my account doesn't allow me to block forums anymore. Otherwise, I'd consider blocking FYM.

There's so much to dislike about this forum now.

That's a fair point in as far as it goes but you could also try and address why it is your posting style, as opposed to your opinions, seems to rile up quite a few posters here.

If someone has issues with a posting style, the best response is no response at all.

There are only one or two characters here I won't respond to...the entrenched trolls, if you will.

It's not that hard, just don't hit the reply button. :D

What are we going to do now it's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and every book has been read.

:yes:

When I first joined everyone's viewpoints were new to me. But I've been here six years, and while there have been new people over that time, there isn't that big burst of newness for me. There are only so many times I can discuss the same topics with largely the same people without it getting stale.

And the style of discourse has become more obnoxious -- on all sides -- and that doesn't exactly make this a place many people are comfortable posting in any more, which means we are even less apt to see new faces.

I do still read just about everything two or three people post here, and at least skim threads that seem interesting, so I'm still getting some value from it.

And the style of discourse has become more obnoxious -- on all sides -- and that doesn't exactly make this a place many people are comfortable posting in any more, which means we are even less apt to see new faces.

Do you really find it so? I remember the style of discourse back in 2005 as much more obnoxious if anything - for which, I admit, I was partially to blame.

That's a fair point in as far as it goes but you could also try and address why it is your posting style, as opposed to your opinions, seems to rile up quite a few posters here.

Well, I don't think it has anything to do with style and everything to do with the opinions that are the direct opposite of most people in the forum. That naturally will create friction that needs to be kept under control. No one would have anything negative to say about "style" if I held the majority opinion on every issue in this forum.

I disagree completely. I for one know my "style" in the past was wrong and I was called out on it from people who shared my same views.

When I first joined everyone's viewpoints were new to me. But I've been here six years, and while there have been new people over that time, there isn't that big burst of newness for me. There are only so many times I can discuss the same topics with largely the same people without it getting stale.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Spend enough time around here, and you can predict how people will respond to any given topic. As well, there have literally been the same discussions with the same cast of characters going on in here for years There's one thread in particular I'm thinking of, and I swear, it was basically a repeat of another thread from a few years ago - same people saying the same things.

Do you really find it so? I remember the style of discourse back in 2005 as much more obnoxious if anything - for which, I admit, I was partially to blame.

I don't see a lot of the obnoxiousness that people talk about in here (and I started posting in here in late '05). It gets heated and vehement at times, but that's to be expected. With a few exceptions, I think most people in here are pretty good at policing themselves and their posting behaviour. Threads do get derailed sometimes, but I'd rather see a conversation develop organically than having hard and fast "STAY ON TOPIC" rules, even if the conversation turns into something different from its initial intent. I don't ignore anyone here, but there are a few people whose posts I tend to skip over. It's my internal ignore filter.

Honestly, I find EYKIW far more obnoxious than FYM, much of the time.

I do still read just about everything two or three people post here, and at least skim threads that seem interesting, so I'm still getting some value from it.

That.

Let's debate the incessant weight loss ads, clearly they think they are striking a chord with the good burghers of U2 world (or, to be fair, pretty much any advertising dependent web site).

I disagree completely. I for one know my "style" in the past was wrong and I was called out on it from people who shared my same views.

As long as your comments are about the ISSUE and not another forum member, style should not be a problem.

the best way to fix free your mind is to limit every thread to 50 posts. nobody is allowed to post more than twice per thread.

pointless circuitous arguing = abolished.

Interesting, except I think it would just lead to more threads being started to continue the debate from the previous thread.

As long as your comments are about the ISSUE and not another forum member, style should not be a problem.

No, I can think of plenty of examples that were about the issue(roughly) and still the style was definately a problem. You can still be in the wrong without getting personal. I've been guilty of it and so have many many others...

except spin offs aren't allowed, unless it's because the previous thread had 1,000 posts. :wink:

Well, if the rule was to limit each thread to 50 posts and allow no spin off threads, then FYM would grind to a halt. Eventually every issue would have a thread about it filled up to 50 post. :wink:

This thread is too funny. We couldn't do a better parody of fym if we tried. Maybe we did try. And if so, this is genius.

This thread is too funny. We couldn't do a better parody of fym if we tried. Maybe we did try. And if so, this is genius.

Trust me, the usual suspects are not trying, they're just doing what they're programmed to do. That's what Jiveturkey said a few pages ago actually, and it's just been picking up steam from there.

Back
Top Bottom