The Cure For Shyness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Albert Ellis applied similar techniques by forcing himself to talk to 100 women in the Bronx gardens and overcame his fear of rejection. The efficacy of techniques like cognitive behaviour therapy and the human capacity for delusion suggests that shyness can be overcome. Oxytocin could be a component in a broader treatment plan but I doubt that it is a magic bullet.

Albert Ellis applied similar techniques by forcing himself to talk to 100 women in the Bronx gardens and overcame his fear of rejection. The efficacy of techniques like cognitive behaviour therapy and the human capacity for delusion suggests that shyness can be overcome. Oxytocin could be a component in a broader treatment plan but I doubt that it is a magic bullet.

So are we saying that the human capacity for delusion while seemingly negative in religion can have beneficial results in other spheres of life? :hmm:

Oxytocin – the love hormone – could cure shyness - Telegraph

I'm a shy person, and reading this article made me wonder - would I want to be cured of my social problem?

I'm not sure. On one hand, I would like to be more socially at ease and not clam up often. But on the other, I feel like rebelling against society's view of shy people - we have no personality, we're snobs, we only care about ourselves, etc. I think shyness should be seen as not a big deal by our loud mouth world. I mean, the world could use some peace and quiet now and then.

Thoughts?

Sure, I have some.

I like quiet, reserved, thoughtful, people. My husband is considered "shy" by others. "Sexy" to me. When he speaks. He is worth listening to. He dosen't ramble on, just to hear himself talk and he always a good listener. He is also very intellegent, compassionate and kind. My kind of guy for life!

Shyness and Social Phobia are two different things.

Oxytocin is not used in the treatment of those who suffer from this particular "phobia." Gradual exposure can help with some if their fear is limited to one particular thing or situation. But, addictive pain meds, never. Xanax, Paxil and other meds are much better in helping those with Anxiety Disorders, including PD (Panic Disorder) which BTW are almost always biological in cause.

Some people are more quiet than others. It is just their personality. They are not in need of any "treatments." Since, there is nothing wrong with them to begin with.

I have always dealt with shyness. I am not friendly to strangers and I am very quiet around people, which comes across as rude. That's why I don't have friends. Sometimes that bothers me, but then sometimes, I don't care. A major part of my shyness is I am afraid of people judging me. I know I need to change, otherwise I will remain miserable.
:|

Edit: With all due respect, I don't want ANYONE to respond to this post! Thank you.

I hear you joerags, but the trick is to not be afraid. I don't give a shit about what people think of me. I hope they think I'm rude, because I am. In point of fact, it's the world that needs to change, because I certainly don't plan to.

Back
Top Bottom