The Cure For Shyness - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
All these personality 'disorders' are too readily diagnosed and treated these days.
$$cha-ching$$

Who wants beige when we can have all the colours of the palette? We should all embrace our inner freaks.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
As a young child I was quite shy. And as a matter of fact I still am, but as a high functioning freak, I can hide it when need be. What I cannot hide is the boredom and mistrust I feel of those who choose to express themselves loudly, at length, on a plane of banality to which I would not ever want to aspire.
Amen.

I was shy, still kinda am. But whatever. It is who I am. Plus, being somewhat anti-social allows people to explore other things. I find that lots of artists, writers, etc are shy and awkward, and it probably has to do with a feeling that they cannot express themselves properly and don't want to be misunderstood, and disliked as a result of it.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I think shyness is only "bad" if it's crippling. Other than that people should embrace it and not try to medicate it away. Medicating your personality can just create so many other problems. I think some people are more shy and introverted by nature and it doesn't have much to do with upbringing or birth order or any of that stuff.

I prefer introverts. Extroverts just show you everything and there's no mystery. Extreme extroverts can be very obnoxious.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Not if you stuff them full of RitalinĀ®.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

We sound like

Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

You're being glib, Mrs. Springsteen.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

God Dammit, Beav. You stole my post
Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 01:23 AM
I am a very shy person, and I have social anxiety. This has led to me avoiding people.

So I guess my shyness leads to me not being very high functioning. It's something I'm working on improving, though.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 01:23 AM
I am a very shy person, and I have social anxiety. This has led to me avoiding people.

So I guess my shyness leads to me not being very high functioning. It's something I'm working on improving, though.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:23 PM
I use the phrase 'high functioning' with tongue firmly in cheek, of course. I just love the language of pathology, guys.

My actual level of shyness might approach joerags levels, but without the self-loathing. Or, it might not. I mean, who's to know?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

what's wrong with being socially awkward? what ever happened to allowing someone to "find themselves?"

life is full of things that are unfair. it's how you learn to deal that makes you who you are.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
-Enjoy life

-Sieze the day

-Don't fret

-Pray in the Hymns of the Silence

Take care
Press play>>>
Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Everyone is awkward in their own way.

I once read a fantastic book on introverts/extroverts, the premise of which was that we mistakenly identify everyone who is shy as an introvert. The author argued that the correct way to look at it is to ask yourself how you re-fuel? Do you need significant alone time to get energized or do you draw energy from crowds and being around people. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting concept.

I would consider myself to be more introvert than extrovert (though probably just so) and introversion is something that you can train yourself to overcome to a degree, if you so desire, and without meds. But it requires that you put yourself in situations that you find extremely uncomfortable. I still remember how painful I found the concept of networking years ago at that first cocktail party. Now, it's second nature - still not something that I love doing but it's something that I'm proficient at and something that no longer causes me stress.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

I agree with the posts that mention the harm of pathologizing normal behaviours or personality traits. So does a large portion of the mental health field. Using proper diagnostic criteria, two of the main questions asked for almost any disorder is "does this negatively impact your daily functioning?" and "how often does it impact your daily functioning?" This creates a distinction between those who experience a little shyness in social situations but generally manage fine, and others who nearly have an anxiety attack at the thought of putting themselves into a social situation.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Everyone is awkward in their own way.

I once read a fantastic book on introverts/extroverts, the premise of which was that we mistakenly identify everyone who is shy as an introvert. The author argued that the correct way to look at it is to ask yourself how you re-fuel? Do you need significant alone time to get energized or do you draw energy from crowds and being around people. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting concept.
Yes and I've found often that the 'life and soul of the party' types need time on their own as well. Just a bit less time, perhaps, than introverts. No-one is fully on all the time. I was joshing with friends over registering on a dating site a while back, so one asked "what did you write in your description, did you say you're outgoing, etc"? I said "why the heck would I put that as I'm not outgoing", he said "well, you seem outgoing when you're drinking with us". So perhaps there is situational introversion and extroversion.

But extroverts don't register on dating sites, do they? Certainly whenever I've done one of those online personality tests it pegs me as an introvert.

I really should make more of an effort in terms of joining things like Toastmasters and clubs (whether of the professonal networking or social type) but its not shyness that stops me doing these things, it's laziness, basically.