Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Poor kid has little chance

Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Exactly. Has to be from his family. I do believe he comes from a small, rural town that's a few miles out from where my school is.

I wonder if this kids parents would say the same thing if their son was serving over in Iraq?

Always easier to send someone else overseas to fight and die.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
thought i would just share this sad lil story....

So last night I have a new kid (11 years old) start up taekwondo. Before class starts as i'm showing him basic stretches etc, he says to me "Do you want to know something stupid Obama is doing?"

I say sure.

"He's pulling all of our soldiers out of Iraq, while there are still Iraqis there".

I go, so do you think every single Iraqi is a bad guy?

"Yes, we haven't killed them all so it's a mistake to leave"

I left it at that cause I really don't want to argue with a 11 year old But I can't help but wonder if this is what he's taught in school, or more likely a view he's picked up from his parents. Not sure how you really cure stupid.
A couple things-

I'm sure I believed things in 5th grade that, looking back, were completely insane. If this kid is, as you say, from a very rural area, he may not have the resources to understand the nuances of foreign policy before he goes around shooting his mouth off. Rather than essentially ignoring it and ridiculing him and his family on the internet, why not challenge him in an appropriate way? I think it's a little hypocritical to shake your head at something a child says or does, yet excuse yourself from any responsibility or influence you might have by saying "Well, I didn't feel like getting into a discussion with him."

Are you an instructor? And is he one of the pupils? If so, he will probably see you with a degree of respect and trust. If you see him again, or if the topic comes up, why not challenge him? Otherwise- with all due respect- aren't you just part of the problem?

And second- let's not make this kid the face of the Republican Party all of a sudden.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2

A couple things-

I'm sure I believed things in 5th grade that, looking back, were completely insane. If this kid is, as you say, from a very rural area, he may not have the resources to understand the nuances of foreign policy before he goes around shooting his mouth off. Rather than essentially ignoring it and ridiculing him and his family on the internet, why not challenge him in an appropriate way? I think it's a little hypocritical to shake your head at something a child says or does, yet excuse yourself from any responsibility or influence you might have by saying "Well, I didn't feel like getting into a discussion with him."

Are you an instructor? And is he one of the pupils? If so, he will probably see you with a degree of respect and trust. If you see him again, or if the topic comes up, why not challenge him? Otherwise- with all due respect- aren't you just part of the problem?

And second- let's not make this kid the face of the Republican Party all of a sudden.
Was there any mention of the Republican Party?

I think Beal did the right thing, I think any Respectful adult knows you don't try to engage into political discussions with 11 year olds, especially those that you do not have a role in raising. All you can do is lead by example, this kid has much bigger issues that aren't going to be resolved by a "challenging".
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Earnie made the joke which I think you tied towards the GOP.

I am his instructor, but I'm not there to challenge the world view of an 11 year old. While there is a sense of learning respect towards others in the martial art, I think a lot of that can be learned when he gets to engage with other kids his age who come from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. As we say every class, we are united in mutual friendship.

Hopefully through age and more education he can start to see things in a different perspective.

I guess i should have countered with the greatest argument killer ever...."NUH UHHHHH"
Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

I am his instructor, but I'm not there to challenge the world view of an 11 year old. While there is a sense of learning respect towards others in the martial art, I think a lot of that can be learned when he gets to engage with other kids his age who come from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. As we say every class, we are united in mutual friendship.

Hopefully through age and more education he can start to see things in a different perspective
I think that's a good and positive attitude.

I think you did the right thing, and if you had tried to discuss it with him and he told his parents you probably would have been fired. It's just sad to me that a child says something like that and even sadder if he's being fed that by a parent. I'm sure it was difficult to be silent.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I'm sure I believed things in 5th grade that, looking back, were completely insane.
{Snark] It's good that you ditched all those insane beliefs when you grew older. {Snark}
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

that's really not very nice.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #39
The Fly

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
{Snark] It's good that you ditched all those insane beliefs when you grew older. {Snark}
Old 12-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

I was a stone cold Republican until I was about 15. I was fervently pro-Bush in both 2000 and 2004.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:48 AM
Baghdad: Fatal Bomb Blasts In City Centre Kill Dozens Amid Political Crisis In Iraq | World News | Sky News

Another fine foreign policy disaster, courtesy of the War Party.

I think that the Chinese, the Russian, and the Indian intelligence agencies have a far better grasp of what is going on in the Middle East than the CIA. And interestingly, all three express severe scepticism towards the role of firm US ally Saudi Arabia, and strong apprehension regarding the damage being done by Saudi money.

I used to think Bush/Cheney were downright evil, I now think I was misguided and simplistic in that analysis. They were just in the tradition of the long line of US administrations with wrongheaded policies towards the Middle East. I would categorize the foreign policies of every US President, with respect to the region, at least going back as far as Hoover as juvenile, unintelligent, badly designed, flawed and plain clueless. It has been a continual and terrible disaster.

Ron Paul actually has more of a clue about what is going on, and why US Foreign Policy is so flawed.

The problem is his domestic policy makes him unelectable.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #42
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Baghdad: Fatal Bomb Blasts In City Centre Kill Dozens Amid Political Crisis In Iraq | World News | Sky News

Another fine foreign policy disaster, courtesy of the War Party.

I think that the Chinese, the Russian, and the Indian intelligence agencies have a far better grasp of what is going on in the Middle East than the CIA. And interestingly, all three express severe scepticism towards the role of firm US ally Saudi Arabia, and strong apprehension regarding the damage being done by Saudi money.

I used to think Bush/Cheney were downright evil, I now think I was misguided and simplistic in that analysis. They were just in the tradition of the long line of US administrations with wrongheaded policies towards the Middle East. I would categorize the foreign policies of every US President, with respect to the region, at least going back as far as Hoover as juvenile, unintelligent, badly designed, flawed and plain clueless. It has been a continual and terrible disaster.

Ron Paul actually has more of a clue about what is going on, and why US Foreign Policy is so flawed.

The problem is his domestic policy makes him unelectable.
Great post.

The problem is the mindset of the American people. We are brainwashed to believe that we have to take action in foreign affairs, even though it might be best to stay quiet. The best course of action is often inaction, but it's not even considered. We're presented with one party that likes sanctions and another that likes sanctions + war. If someone were to consider diplomacy with Iran, for example, they'd be laughed at. How dare we even talk to them?

If Ron Paul were to get the Republican nomination, I would certainly vote for him if it means a radical shift in our foreign policy, even though he's far too laissez-faire in his economic policy.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #43
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung11 View Post
Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung11

I posted this earlier because I think everyone should watch it. It really helps look at our foreign policy from standpoint of the people whom we occupy.
i will be in his class this semester.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #45
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
i will be in his class this semester.
Oh yea? That's awesome. He seems like an awesome professor.