The age of horrorism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
I cannot remember whether this was posted at the time it was first published, but it is such a brilliant essay that it merits revisiting:

On the eve of the fifth anniversary of 9/11, one of Britain's most celebrated and original writers analyses - and abhors - the rise of extreme Islamism. In a penetrating and wide-ranging essay he offers a trenchant critique of the grotesque creed and questions the West's faltering response to this eruption of evil.

Martin Amis: The age of horrorism (part one) | World news | The Observer

It finishes on this note, but worth reading all of it to get to this point:

We allow that, in the case of religion, or the belief in supernatural beings, the past weighs in, not at 2,000 years, but at approximately five million. Even so, the time has come for a measure of impatience in our dealings with those who would take an innocent personal pronoun, which was just minding its own business, and exalt it with a capital letter. Opposition to religion already occupies the high ground, intellectually and morally. People of independent mind should now start to claim the spiritual high ground, too. We should be with Joseph Conrad:

'The world of the living contains enough marvels and mysteries as it is - marvels and mysteries acting upon our emotions and intelligence in ways so inexplicable that it would almost justify the conception of life as an enchanted state. No, I am too firm in my consciousness of the marvellous to be ever fascinated by the mere supernatural, which (take it any way you like) is but a manufactured article, the fabrication of minds insensitive to the intimate delicacies of our relation to the dead and to the living, in their countless multitudes; a desecration of our tenderest memories; an outrage on our dignity.

'Whatever my native modesty may be it will never condescend to seek help for my imagination within those vain imaginings common to all ages and that in themselves are enough to fill all lovers of mankind with unutterable sadness.' ('Author's Note' to The Shadow-Line, 1920.)

I read the entire article.

The Christian faith was not the focus of the horror.

Quote:
"Opposition to religion already occupies the high ground, intellectually and morally. People of independent mind should now start to claim the spiritual high ground, too."

And as a Christian, I'm the one being arrogant and a bigot?

Gotta love that Rebel from Nazareth:D

Honest answers to the following questions could provide some evidence.

Do you think that Christianity is the true faith?

Do you think that same sex couples should be allowed to marry?

Do you believe in hell?

Do you believe that Israeli colonialism is justified by scripture?

Do you think Islam is intrinsically worse than Christianity?

Honest answers to the following questions could provide some evidence.

Do you think that Christianity is the true faith?

Yes. But you think that atheism is the true belief, so how does that make me any worse than you? A better question would be what do you MEAN that Christianity is the true faith?

Do you think that same sex couples should be allowed to marry?

Yes.

Do you believe in hell?

No.

Do you believe that Israeli colonialism is justified by scripture?

No.

Do you think Islam is intrinsically worse than Christianity?

No.

So what does this evidence tell you?

Your answers showed that you aren't a bigot and I think that makes them legitimate; I eagerly await ironhorse's reply.

The equivalence issue between my position and your position is interesting but I think there are some important differences. I think that my view takes a lot less on faith than the Christian position.

I say atheism because I don't believe in God, but it could be characterised as agnosticism on technical grounds. I definitely think we don't have enough knowledge to unequivocally dismiss the possibility of a God. Although I also think that the type of God that becomes compatible with a scientific understanding of the universe would likely be removed from the biblical account.

Back
Top Bottom