Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Great point and other than the child endagerment issues. Little girls, age ten being mothers and this is okay? By her own mother?

Not to be too personal. But, at age ten. I didn't even have a monthly cycle. I was still a little girl. And there was no way that my mom or granny would have let me have a "boy friend."
I didn't get mine regularly til I was sixteen!

Apart from the legalities etc, her body is too small to be carrying a baby regardless of whether she's hit puberty or not.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I've only recently learned of the blatant racism that seems to be prevalent in the European countries. It was very eye-opening.
it is a very serious problem and it's absolutely shocking and disgusting actually... there's the ongoing case with the migrant boat last year whose distress calls were ignored by European Nato countries, even though ships were in the immediate vicinity - nearly everyone on board was left to die - apparently a helicopter flew over, and photographs were taken of the boat and victims, but still they were left to die... a film-maker friend of a friend made a film a few years ago which was incredible controversial as it had eye witness accounts of similar events, bodies washed up on Mediterranean beaches etc., shelter refused, etc.

anyway here's some info on the migrant disaster - at least it's being investigated at last

Migrant boat tragedy: it's time for more answers | World news | The Guardian

I left the UK quite a few years ago, but racism does appear to be on the rise there these days, particularly against Eastern Europeans... i've heard comments that just shock me to the core actually from people i wouldn't expect it from as well...

on a more mundane note, we were watching Britain's Got Talent the other night (awful programme but i was watching with my teenage daughter, honest! ), but i was so shocked, because a contestant from Germany came on, and when he said he was from Germany, the WHOLE audience booed!!! it was horrendous, i seriously couldn't believe it!! i was really shocked and disgusted actually... the state of things is unreal...

Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
The Roma do realize that by having their kids have kids at age 10 or so, it raises the risk of ovarian cancer big time? Are they really willing to risk the lives of their daughters for the sake of their tradition?
I grew up going to a very old school catholic church. I will never forget what happened when I was just eight or nine and part of the children's choir. Another girl got pregnant at 11 and was forced to give birth by her parents who believed abortion was wrong and was thus murder. The parents went on to talk about how the baby was God's gift to their family and how Jesus was proud of their daughter for "taking responsibility". She had no choice. She used to come to the youth group events and just cry in the bathroom for hours.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, for various reasons, and it is involved in many more things than just tradition. It wasn't uncommon where I grew up for girls to be forced to give birth at 14-16 years old. It's controversial because parents believe this is for their daughters' own good, and that forcing them to accept responsibility will "teach" them. It doesn't. It ruins them.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
I grew up going to a very old school catholic church. I will never forget what happened when I was just eight or nine and part of the children's choir. Another girl got pregnant at 11 and was forced to give birth by her parents who believed abortion was wrong and was thus murder. The parents went on to talk about how the baby was God's gift to their family and how Jesus was proud of their daughter for "taking responsibility". She had no choice. She used to come to the youth group events and just cry in the bathroom for hours.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, for various reasons, and it is involved in many more things than just tradition. It wasn't uncommon where I grew up for girls to be forced to give birth at 14-16 years old. It's controversial because parents believe this is for their daughters' own good, and that forcing them to accept responsibility will "teach" them. It doesn't. It ruins them.
That is truly, truly disturbing. Those poor girls...
Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 09:56 AM
The first menstruation of girls at age 10 or even younger is becoming more prevalent due to endocrine disruptors, genetically modified foods and hormones injected into various strains of grains and meats. It won't be long enough until we hear about girls having their first baby at age 8 or 7 in the future.

On a sidenote, yeah it is shocking that a 10-year old girl is already a mother but pregnancy at any age is not a problem when both the mother and father have money or when their parents have money and are willing to support their grandchildren.

The impact of a pregnancy is not that severe when there is enough cash on the table to support that child until the child can support himself/herself.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:56 AM
But how someone who is mentally and emotionally a baby raise a baby? There's plenty more to raising children than the financial side.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post

On a sidenote, yeah it is shocking that a 10-year old girl is already a mother but pregnancy at any age is not a problem when both the mother and father have money or when their parents have money and are willing to support their grandchildren.
Actually it is a huge problem because a girl's pelvis at 10 years of age is not sufficiently sized for giving birth. Maternal death rates would be very high without intervening medical care and C-sections. It's a rather serious condition.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
The first menstruation of girls at age 10 or even younger is becoming more prevalent due to endocrine disruptors, genetically modified foods and hormones injected into various strains of grains and meats.
None of this has been proven and is likely complete bullshit and fear mongering. It's more likely that early menstruation is due to better nutrition and general health than in the past
Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
None of this has been proven and is likely complete bullshit and fear mongering. It's more likely that early menstruation is due to better nutrition and general health than in the past
It isn't more likely and there's no proof of that (having an effect on menstruation) either. There's more evidence to the contrary.

Low vitamin D linked to earlier first menstruation
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

A single study of 242 people isn't exactly a sufficient sample size to draw much conclusion (and certainly not enough to claim more evidence). Not to mention at the end of the article:

Quote:
Still, while the results suggest a link between vitamin D and menarche, they have not established a causal relationship. It's necessary to do more studies to show if interventions that change girls' vitamin D status result in a change in their age of menarche.
Hardly supports the case.
A google search will find that better nutrition is more widely accepted. Of course, that doesn't fit into some people's world view that we're all poisoning ourselves these days and doing everything wrong.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Hardly supports the case.
A google search will find that better nutrition is more widely accepted. Of course, that doesn't fit into some people's world view that we're all poisoning ourselves these days and doing everything wrong.
But it does support my point that there is no evidence to the contrary either. I don't think it's a huge conspiracy theory to believe that chemicals in our food might possibly be having an effect on us, considering some chemicals have already been proven to do so (red dye).
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
I don't think it's a huge conspiracy theory to believe that chemicals in our food might possibly be having an effect on us, considering some chemicals have already been proven to do so (red dye).
Of course not, but there's always this knee jerk reaction that any effects must be from negative pressures. It wouldn't be hard to believe that the reason people are generally taller now than they have been at any other point in history is because of the hormones in our food, but we know that isn't true and again can be attributed to good nutrition. Most of the hormones in our food are destroyed in the stomach and don't even make it into the bloodstream.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #28
Acrobat

Quote:
Of course not, but there's always this knee jerk reaction that any effects must be from negative pressures. It wouldn't be hard to believe that the reason people are generally taller now than they have been at any other point in history is because of the hormones in our food, but we know that isn't true and again can be attributed to good nutrition. Most of the hormones in our food are destroyed in the stomach and don't even make it into the bloodstream.
Some effects are negative. Certain dyes cause behavioral issues in the children that consume them. The notion that we're healthier is also something to be questioned, not because "omg chemicals" but because most of the people today don't have a very healthy diet at all--with or without the chemicals. I know people who buy organic everything but at the end of the day they're still living off of pizza and burgers. It's undeniable that since we're no longer starving to death and walking 10+ hours a day to find and prepare food we've grown healthier, but we're still not the healthiest we can be yet. Medicine has a major role in this as well, considering my significant other would probably have been killed off years ago if he lived in a time before glasses (he's practically blind without his). Most people would die of simple illnesses we no longer think anything of thanks to vaccinations.

However, we should still keep a careful eye on what we're actually putting into our bodies. Chemicals that can have an effect on your behavior/personality? Things that haven't been proven to be safe being allowed in our food supply? Our children's food supply? My one argument would be that instead of just throwing this stuff in our food and not labeling it, it should be required by law to be tested first. A lot of the stuff isn't thanks to loopholes. If it's proven to be safe, then great, we can keep eating it. But we don't know if it is yet. For all we know, we could be consuming poison that is the cause of dozens of new problems that exist today that did not exist hundreds of years ago.

But I'll give one to you: it annoys me to no end when people just blindly accept the pro organic movement and don't question it at all. I've read a few fear mongering books and talked to a few people that genuinely believed we were doing the equivalent of living off of rat poison. It's a little too dramatic for my taste.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

There will always be things we ingest that will affect us negatively. But the original comment was in reference to hormones and early menstruation.

But as far as general health goes, we've more than doubled our life expectancies in less than 100 years. Granted, germ theory has played a massive role in that, but so has nutrition. It's not all the doom and gloom that many would point to. We're doing alright