Texas Police Kill 8th Grader Who Was Carrying A Pellet Gun - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Fuck da Police was also posted.
Well, damn! color me wrong.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #32
45:33

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem
I think there was only one gangsta rap reference, as Friggin' Cobbler was clearly naming a Pearl Jam song with a chorus of "glorified version of a pellet gun."
For once it wasn't me

Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 04:45 PM
"To protect and serve"
Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I went to speak at a career day at a high school last fall. One of the teachers said to me "too bad you're not a criminal law lawyer, I could point out a few good clients for you here."
Whoa. Blunt much?

I'm really on the fence about this. On the one hand, given the endless stream of school shootings, I understand being concerned, and this kid clearly didn't seem to listen to reason.

On the other hand...he's in eighth grade. I find it really hard to believe there wasn't any other possible way to try and subdue him and get him away from everybody. Right now I'm leaning on the side of, I think he didn't need to be shot to death. I'm sorry, something about that just rubs me the wrong way.

Again, though, I do love how we freak out over a pellet gun (which admittedly does look frighteningly real in that picture), but dare suggest trying to at least be more selective with people getting real guns, and people run to say, "2nd Amendment rights! You can't take that away!"

Just find the whole thing strange. But this is coming from someone who doesn't get the fascination with any sort of gun in general, so...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post

On the other hand...he's in eighth grade.
An 8th grader is still capable of pulling the trigger on a gun. If I were in the police officer's position, I know what I would have done
Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Oh, I understand that. I've no disagreement he knew full well what he was doing.

I just meant given his age, for an adult to shoot someone that young, no matter the reason-I'm sorry, I don't think I could muster up the nerve to do it, even if it was justified.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
"To protect and serve"
Lets hear how you would've brilliantly handled the situation.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Police keep on policin'.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Very sad.

I'm wondering if this is could be a case of suicide by police?

if anyone wants to take the time to read this article, it does seem like he wanted the police to shoot him. the police seem 100 per cent blameless, they are the victims

After Texas school shooting, many questions loom - Yahoo! News
Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Maybe "Fuck the Police" is an over the top reaction (great track that it is. Rap back then meant something. It might have meant something hateful, but you couldn't ignore its visceral energy. But I digress), but Americans seem to tolerate a level of use of extreme force by police that simply would not be accepted in Europe.

In Ireland about 12 years ago, a man with known psychiatric issues was shot dead by a police marksman after a siege lasting a few hours. He had been brandishing a shotgun in a threatening manner around his house, shouting at neighbours, that type of thing. Subsequently, there was a big public outcry and in reaction the government announced a tribunal of investigation (more or less like a grand jury process). While no police were charged or convicted with any crime (in my opinion, correctly), they and their superiors had to go through a very stressful process of testifying, accounting for their actions, facing tough questions from legal representatives of the deceased's family, intense media scrutiny, that type of thing - a process which, IIRC, went on for months and months.

Similarly, in the UK, when a drunken barrister with personal issues was shot dead by police in a posh suburb near central London a few years back, there was an inquest which examined in forensic detail the actions of the individual police officers concerned on that fateful day.

The very fact that I remember the above two incidents in reasonable detail, one from 12 years ago, the other from around 4 years ago, shows just how rare such events are, fortunately, on this side of the pond. Not like in the US where if you are some kid with a few issues and you get some crazy idea in your head one day and you go into a shop and buy a gun (with ease) and brandish it around but don't actually discharge it or fire it at anyone, your life can be snuffed out in an instant and the media will talk about it for about a day and then move on to something else. Because you don't matter. You're a statistic.

Maybe "Fuck the Police" is an over-the-top reaction. But I will never accept that cops shooting 14 year olds in the head, for whatever reason, is a right or normal part of a civilised society. And if youse won't hear it from this Dublin knacker, then listen to the words of wisdom from another Dublin knacker, our hero Bano, because he pretty much said the same thing I'm saying, maybe in more poetic fashion, in that (in)famous rant on the Elevation tour.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Just find the whole thing strange. But this is coming from someone who doesn't get the fascination with any sort of gun in general, so...
Finding the whole thing strange is generally a sign of sanity and reasonable IQ, I reckon. It's a stupid male machismo thing. Something to do with dick sizes, or so rumour has it.

Seemingly researchers have developed a mathematical formula to explain this:

Size of gun collection = 1000* (1/IQ X 1/Dick size)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #42
45:33

Local Time: 07:45 AM
That reminds me of Tyler Cassidy, financeguy, a 15yo kid here who was walking towards cops with a gun telling them to shoot him. They did, he died, and the whole investigation/inquest process went for almost three years before the cops were cleared.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226204105964
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #43
Forum Moderator

I think the fact that this particular incident happened in a school, the setting of far too many mass tragedies in our country in recent decades, may have a lot to do with the generally resigned reaction of the Americans in here.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Finding the whole thing strange is generally a sign of sanity and reasonable IQ, I reckon. It's a stupid male machismo thing. Something to do with dick sizes, or so rumour has it.

Seemingly researchers have developed a mathematical formula to explain this:

Size of gun collection = 1000* (1/IQ X 1/Dick size)
Oh, most definitely. It's one of the stupidest ways men can try and prove their "manhood" (and really, if you have to try and prove it, that's telling enough as it is).

Excellent other post from you, too, especially the last paragraph-you summed up my feelings on the issue much better than I did .
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life