Terrorism in Oslo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cobl04 said:
Not sure how a man who goes on a murderous rampage fueled by extreme right-wing propaganda can be called sane though.

Is any mass murder sane? Is any criminal sane? Does doing something that will inevitably lead to a miserable punishment while not accomplishing any goals towards one's objective count as insanity? Is neo-fascism inherently bent towards insanity?

digitize said:
Is any mass murder sane? Is any criminal sane? Does doing something that will inevitably lead to a miserable punishment while not accomplishing any goals towards one's objective count as insanity? Is neo-fascism inherently bent towards insanity?

I think Breivik is not biologically insane, as in schizophrenic. But I do believe his hatred for immigrants and Muslims made him lose all rational and thus his sanity.

Your question, digitize, does make me wonder how we should truly define sanity. I would say Breivik certainly lost his empathy for others as he lost rationale. Does being empathetic equal sanity? If so, we all suffer from insanity to some degree and at one point.

Did anyone read the GQ article, I think it was in last month's issue, with the eyewitness accounts from the survivors? I started it but I couldn't finish it, it was just too much for me to handle.

Pearl said:
I think Breivik is not biologically insane, as in schizophrenic. But I do believe his hatred for immigrants and Muslims made him lose all rational and thus his sanity.

Your question, digitize, does make me wonder how we should truly define sanity. I would say Breivik certainly lost his empathy for others as he lost rationale. Does being empathetic equal sanity? If so, we all suffer from insanity to some degree and at one point.

That's basically the broad question I was thinking about too.

Actually I never miss an opportunity to advance the death penalty as a just, moral and final punishment in certain cases.

Final? Yes.

Just and moral? I find this to be an absolutely abhorrent view, one that would be almost impossible to justify using the Christian faith or logic and reasoning. Revenge is the only thing driving such a view.

Final? Yes.

Just and moral? I find this to be an absolutely abhorrent view, one that would be almost impossible to justify using the Christian faith or logic and reasoning. Revenge is the only thing driving such a view.

Amazing how they're hardliners when it comes to homosexuality and marriage, but never follow Jesus when it comes to this

Talk about a fitting name
48. Kirk Bloodsworth Maryland. Convicted 1984. Exonerated 1993; first prisoner to be exonerated by DNA evidence. Serving life in prison when exonerated, as earlier death sentence was overturned.

Why do you feel it's moral to kill someone? I think murder is wrong no matter what the situation. Of course my emotions can make me feel like someone should be killed (especially if someone I love has been hurt or taken).

But I figured a biblical person as yourself would see killing in any form to be immoral.

I think the bible is more than clear about killing in warfare, killing in self-defense or killing via capital punishment versus murder.

INDY500 said:
I think the bible is more than clear about killing in warfare, killing in self-defense or killing via capital punishment versus murder.

What verses do you have on capital punishment? Well besides the those where an innocent Jesus died by the system...

Gen 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man."

I don't think appealing to the Bible, as a whole, is the best argument against the death penalty.

The teachings of Jesus, sure. . .but the Bible as a whole? INDY and Caleb are going to have a field day with that.

Gen 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man."

Context. If you look further up in the discussion I spoke specifically to INDY's Christian faith, and as a Christian the Old Testament is looked at from the standpoint of the NEW Testament, not the other way around.

As we know we can pick and choose single lines of scriptures to justify almost everything under the sun from murder to slavery.

Back
Top Bottom