Terror Attack in Nice, France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have lived in So California my whole life
I used to go to Mexico quite often,

pedros%20donkey%20show.jpg

This is stupid.

There are thousands of Bastille Day celebrations throughout France every year. Only one, in one year, has been attacked. The odds of you even being at the attacked celebrations, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of live music events throughout France every week, surely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being at the attacked concert, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of railway services throughout France every week, definitely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being on the attacked train, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

So no, it's not good luck to have avoided attack. It's massively, implausibly, shittingly bad luck to be harmed in an attack. And bad luck will sometimes befall you, but you can't live your life like you're going to be victim to an extremely rare event.

:up:

This is stupid.

There are thousands of Bastille Day celebrations throughout France every year. Only one, in one year, has been attacked. The odds of you even being at the attacked celebrations, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of live music events throughout France every week, surely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being at the attacked concert, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of railway services throughout France every week, definitely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being on the attacked train, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

So no, it's not good luck to have avoided attack. It's massively, implausibly, shittingly bad luck to be harmed in an attack. And bad luck will sometimes befall you, but you can't live your life like you're going to be victim to an extremely rare event.

Do you think the resources spent for security at public gathering spots should be scaled back or diverted? I'm thinking soccer stadiums, transport hubs, etc. Not to mention the funding needed to maintain militarized city police departments, etc...

Apparently Bono was dining in a restaurant right above the street where the attack occurred. The headline makes it seem like he a needed a special detachment of cops in a time of need and the comment section is full of U2 hate.

Sounds like he witnessed some of the worst of it.

Bono caught up in Bastille Day massacre and had to be evacuated from restaurant in Nice - Independent.ie

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
This is typical from journalists who want to make big headlines to sell big and make a killing with their articles and supposed "news".

It is nothing new to see someone important or famous being protected from an attack like this specially in such close proximity. In the end no one cares about you when you are a non-important common person in situations like this regardless of what people say.

I think deep is exaggerating but I also don't doubt that there are plenty of people who may rethink their holiday plans. Not everyone, but enough that the tourism industry will take a hit if this keeps happening, particularly if they start hitting tourist sites more and more.

will take a hit if this keeps happening, particularly if they start hitting tourist sites more and more.
keeps happening? tourist sites? is this the first time or second time? did you not see the list?

What part is an exaggeration?

I did not say France has turned into Iraq

I said the risk factor has gone way up in the last couple of years
The list I posted of the Islamic Terrorists events in the last 1 and 1/2 years is no exaggeration. On the lists are many Americans that are dead because they chose to vacation in France instead of Canada. Yes, all things being equal they could have drowned in a pool in either country. But, in which country in the last 1 and 1/2 years did they die as a direct result of Islamic terrorism? Which falls outside of random crime homicides.

I have driven 200,000 miles without any car accidents, would you advocate I should not wear a seat belt? Or is my risk factor greatly reduced by wearing a seat belt.

And I don't believe Americans are safer in France at this time than French tourists are in America. This is a reasonable knowable thing, with a little digging. The numbers I found indicated something like 3.5 million Americans visit France a year and 2 million French visit America each year. These numbers are not for sure correct, but were some I found. How many French people died in homicides in America in the last 1 and 1/2 years per 1,000,000 visitors? With the ramp up of terrorists killings, sadly I think France wins this one.

lastly,
There are places I very much would like to visit, France is on the list A few years back it would have been at the top of the list. Canada is still high on my list. Israel at the bottom.

Last edited:
I was almost at Pulse three nights before the shooting.

My sister had her flight rescheduled to the night before in Istanbul.

Despite being so close, myself and my family were never in harm's way. First, I "almost" went to the club. I didn't actually. Second, it was three nights later. Third, it was after the bar closed -- I would've been long gone. Fourth, I never go on Saturdays. Five, well, plain and simple, 5 of every 6 people at occupancy was not harmed.

For my sister. She was transferring flights in Istanbul. These events took place at or near security and the entrance. Of which terminal, I don't know. Would she have been anywhere near the attack? Likely not. Also, she wasn't even there. She just almost was there. Even if she was, likely several thousand people were at the airport during the attack. Likely 99% of the people at the airport were unharmed.

EVEN when you come dangerously close, your odds are incredibly small of being harmed. To suggest the risk factor is higher means you've become prone to sensational media. "Nowhere is safe" might be true, but "I am more likely to be harmed than before" is so marginally small the difference is infinitely numerically unnoticeable.

I think deep is exaggerating but I also don't doubt that there are plenty of people who may rethink their holiday plans. Not everyone, but enough that the tourism industry will take a hit if this keeps happening, particularly if they start hitting tourist sites more and more.

we've gone ahead with our plans to vacation in the mediterranean this coming October (not France, tho). it hasn't given us pause, exactly, but it does run through one's mind.

some great hotel discounts to be found. :uhoh:

I was almost at Pulse three nights before the shooting.

My sister had her flight rescheduled to the night before in Istanbul.

Despite being so close, myself and my family were never in harm's way. First, I "almost" went to the club. I didn't actually. Second, it was three nights later. Third, it was after the bar closed -- I would've been long gone. Fourth, I never go on Saturdays. Five, well, plain and simple, 5 of every 6 people at occupancy was not harmed.

For my sister. She was transferring flights in Istanbul. These events took place at or near security and the entrance. Of which terminal, I don't know. Would she have been anywhere near the attack? Likely not. Also, she wasn't even there. She just almost was there. Even if she was, likely several thousand people were at the airport during the attack. Likely 99% of the people at the airport were unharmed.

EVEN when you come dangerously close, your odds are incredibly small of being harmed. To suggest the risk factor is higher means you've become prone to sensational media. "Nowhere is safe" might be true, but "I am more likely to be harmed than before" is so marginally small the difference is infinitely numerically unnoticeable.

ok, thanks that clears everything up

there is really nothing that needs to be done, the risk is so marginal, it is really no risk at all

of course the family members of the dead people might have a different opinion, but when you add them into a nation of 325 million people, they are less than irrelevant.

we've gone ahead with our plans to vacation in the mediterranean this coming October (not France, tho). it hasn't given us pause, exactly, but it does run through one's mind.

some great hotel discounts to be found. :uhoh:

Some people definitely are canceling during the peak months too for Europe. I checked my United FF account for saver award availability (and seat maps), and there are saver seats available almost every day (and almost every flight) for July/August. That wasn't the case in prior years.

there is really nothing that needs to be done, the risk is so marginal, it is really no risk at all

of course the family members of the dead people might have a different opinion, but when you add them into a nation of 325 million people, they are less than irrelevant.

Oh fuck off. What a dickish thing to say. Yeah, I was making a case in point -- Despite coming closer to terrorism than most people ever will, I still wasn't close.

What, do you think it doesn't impact me? Who are you to be talking?

You're confusing the idea that I don't acknowledge a serious problem with your irrational fear of being a victim yourself. To say you are *more likely* to be a victim doesn't mean shit. And stop being a dick.

When you used to frequent Mexico, were you the star of the show in Tijuana?
Cause you sure come across as a jackass.

Do you think the resources spent for security at public gathering spots should be scaled back or diverted? I'm thinking soccer stadiums, transport hubs, etc. Not to mention the funding needed to maintain militarized city police departments, etc...

That's barely related to my point, but actually the answer is yes. A lot of these measures are kneejerk responses after an attack, and by the time they're implemented any halfway competent person with malicious intent has moved on to a different idea anyway. I'm not saying chuck away all security measures, but kneejerk enforcement is not the best way to keep people safe. The measure of security should be proportional to the actual threat rather than some piece of political theatre to prove the authorities are "doing something".

Oh, and your crazy militarised police departments seem no more effective at keeping the peace - and probably less so - than the unarmed police departments in the UK and New Zealand, sooo...

How about not distorting other people's comments so you can make an overly reductive and completely unfair insinuation that they don't care about victims of terrorism?

Thanks.

Oh, and your crazy militarised police departments seem no more effective at keeping the peace - and probably less so - than the unarmed police departments in the UK and New Zealand, sooo...

I do agree with this.

Although New Zealand is not America, and America is not France, in regard to social problems and the acts angry people are willing to commit :shrug:

My parents are on vacation in Croatia - they have no direct flights and usually they would fly through Paris or Amsterdam but this time they went through Prague since my Dad felt that was "safer" in terms of shit that may happen at an airport.

keeps happening? tourist sites? is this the first time or second time? did you not see the list?

What part is an exaggeration?

The part where you questioned why anyone would want to go to France.

Since you like statistics so much I am sure you can just as easily look up where Americans who died abroad have died. In 2015 (the data is not available yet for 2016) a grand total of ONE American died due to terrorism in France. Didn't you just cite that 3.5 million Americans visited France? I mean, 1 in 3.5 million is enough to make you think that nobody should go there?

I just find it funny that people still engage him. It's so blatantly obvious he's trolling for a reaction and yet everyone still replies and quotes him.

I'm going to Nice in September :wave:

Back
Top Bottom