I used to go to Mexico quite often,

Old 07-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #62
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
This is stupid.

There are thousands of Bastille Day celebrations throughout France every year. Only one, in one year, has been attacked. The odds of you even being at the attacked celebrations, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of live music events throughout France every week, surely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being at the attacked concert, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of railway services throughout France every week, definitely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being on the attacked train, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

So no, it's not good luck to have avoided attack. It's massively, implausibly, shittingly bad luck to be harmed in an attack. And bad luck will sometimes befall you, but you can't live your life like you're going to be victim to an extremely rare event.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Terror Attack in Nice, France

Apparently Bono was dining in a restaurant right above the street where the attack occurred. The headline makes it seem like he a needed a special detachment of cops in a time of need and the comment section is full of U2 hate.

Sounds like he witnessed some of the worst of it.

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/e...-34890222.html

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #64
Refugee

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
This is stupid.

There are thousands of Bastille Day celebrations throughout France every year. Only one, in one year, has been attacked. The odds of you even being at the attacked celebrations, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of live music events throughout France every week, surely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being at the attacked concert, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

There are thousands of railway services throughout France every week, definitely extending into the millions per year. The odds of you even being on the attacked train, let alone harmed, are vanishingly slim.

So no, it's not good luck to have avoided attack. It's massively, implausibly, shittingly bad luck to be harmed in an attack. And bad luck will sometimes befall you, but you can't live your life like you're going to be victim to an extremely rare event.
Do you think the resources spent for security at public gathering spots should be scaled back or diverted? I'm thinking soccer stadiums, transport hubs, etc. Not to mention the funding needed to maintain militarized city police departments, etc...
Old 07-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #65
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Apparently Bono was dining in a restaurant right above the street where the attack occurred. The headline makes it seem like he a needed a special detachment of cops in a time of need and the comment section is full of U2 hate.

Sounds like he witnessed some of the worst of it.

Bono caught up in Bastille Day massacre and had to be evacuated from restaurant in Nice - Independent.ie

This is typical from journalists who want to make big headlines to sell big and make a killing with their articles and supposed "news".

It is nothing new to see someone important or famous being protected from an attack like this specially in such close proximity. In the end no one cares about you when you are a non-important common person in situations like this regardless of what people say.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

The restaurant he was at was half a mile away from where the truck was finally stopped and a block back from the road it was on... but yea, the media will make it seem as if he was singing and saving small African children while spamming your iPhone in the back of the truck.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Terror Attack in Nice, France

Is it in poor taste if we make some comment about how Bono is always at a restaurant?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Is it in poor taste if we make some comment about how Bono is always at a restaurant?
It might drive a metaphorical steak through his heart.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Bono face deep in Le Trough of Truffles

Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

I think deep is exaggerating but I also don't doubt that there are plenty of people who may rethink their holiday plans. Not everyone, but enough that the tourism industry will take a hit if this keeps happening, particularly if they start hitting tourist sites more and more.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
will take a hit if this keeps happening, particularly if they start hitting tourist sites more and more.
keeps happening? tourist sites? is this the first time or second time? did you not see the list?

What part is an exaggeration?

I did not say France has turned into Iraq

I said the risk factor has gone way up in the last couple of years
The list I posted of the Islamic Terrorists events in the last 1 and 1/2 years is no exaggeration. On the lists are many Americans that are dead because they chose to vacation in France instead of Canada. Yes, all things being equal they could have drowned in a pool in either country. But, in which country in the last 1 and 1/2 years did they die as a direct result of Islamic terrorism? Which falls outside of random crime homicides.

I have driven 200,000 miles without any car accidents, would you advocate I should not wear a seat belt? Or is my risk factor greatly reduced by wearing a seat belt.

And I don't believe Americans are safer in France at this time than French tourists are in America. This is a reasonable knowable thing, with a little digging. The numbers I found indicated something like 3.5 million Americans visit France a year and 2 million French visit America each year. These numbers are not for sure correct, but were some I found. How many French people died in homicides in America in the last 1 and 1/2 years per 1,000,000 visitors? With the ramp up of terrorists killings, sadly I think France wins this one.

lastly,
There are places I very much would like to visit, France is on the list A few years back it would have been at the top of the list. Canada is still high on my list. Israel at the bottom.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

I was almost at Pulse three nights before the shooting.

My sister had her flight rescheduled to the night before in Istanbul.

Despite being so close, myself and my family were never in harm's way. First, I "almost" went to the club. I didn't actually. Second, it was three nights later. Third, it was after the bar closed -- I would've been long gone. Fourth, I never go on Saturdays. Five, well, plain and simple, 5 of every 6 people at occupancy was not harmed.

For my sister. She was transferring flights in Istanbul. These events took place at or near security and the entrance. Of which terminal, I don't know. Would she have been anywhere near the attack? Likely not. Also, she wasn't even there. She just almost was there. Even if she was, likely several thousand people were at the airport during the attack. Likely 99% of the people at the airport were unharmed.

EVEN when you come dangerously close, your odds are incredibly small of being harmed. To suggest the risk factor is higher means you've become prone to sensational media. "Nowhere is safe" might be true, but "I am more likely to be harmed than before" is so marginally small the difference is infinitely numerically unnoticeable.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think deep is exaggerating but I also don't doubt that there are plenty of people who may rethink their holiday plans. Not everyone, but enough that the tourism industry will take a hit if this keeps happening, particularly if they start hitting tourist sites more and more.

we've gone ahead with our plans to vacation in the mediterranean this coming October (not France, tho). it hasn't given us pause, exactly, but it does run through one's mind.

some great hotel discounts to be found.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I was almost at Pulse three nights before the shooting.

My sister had her flight rescheduled to the night before in Istanbul.

Despite being so close, myself and my family were never in harm's way. First, I "almost" went to the club. I didn't actually. Second, it was three nights later. Third, it was after the bar closed -- I would've been long gone. Fourth, I never go on Saturdays. Five, well, plain and simple, 5 of every 6 people at occupancy was not harmed.

For my sister. She was transferring flights in Istanbul. These events took place at or near security and the entrance. Of which terminal, I don't know. Would she have been anywhere near the attack? Likely not. Also, she wasn't even there. She just almost was there. Even if she was, likely several thousand people were at the airport during the attack. Likely 99% of the people at the airport were unharmed.

EVEN when you come dangerously close, your odds are incredibly small of being harmed. To suggest the risk factor is higher means you've become prone to sensational media. "Nowhere is safe" might be true, but "I am more likely to be harmed than before" is so marginally small the difference is infinitely numerically unnoticeable.

ok, thanks that clears everything up

there is really nothing that needs to be done, the risk is so marginal, it is really no risk at all

of course the family members of the dead people might have a different opinion, but when you add them into a nation of 325 million people, they are less than irrelevant.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
we've gone ahead with our plans to vacation in the mediterranean this coming October (not France, tho). it hasn't given us pause, exactly, but it does run through one's mind.

some great hotel discounts to be found.
Some people definitely are canceling during the peak months too for Europe. I checked my United FF account for saver award availability (and seat maps), and there are saver seats available almost every day (and almost every flight) for July/August. That wasn't the case in prior years.