Teens Getting Pregnant To Get On 'Teen Mom'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I can't imagine there are large numbers of teens doing such a thing, but even one disturbs me. These girls are on the covers of magazines and are making pretty good money for this show. I've never watched it but it does seem like they are becoming "celebrities" and what does that say? I guess the show is supposed to depict their struggles and how difficult being a teenage parent is-but is that even being noticed?

Teens Becoming Pregnant to Get on 'Teen Mom'? | PopEater.com

Now that 'Teen Mom' cast members like Amber Portwood are in their twenties, MTV is looking for a new crop of teenage girls to keep its monster hits 'Teen Mom' and '16 and Pregnant' alive, and [surprise!] industry insiders tell me young ladies are so eager to be on reality TV that they are actually getting pregnant just to score an audition. OK, not much of a surprise. Simply take a spin around the various Internet forums filled with young girls inquiring about what's required to score a role.

"This is yet another example of the desperation of fame," Matt Titus, a relationship expert from TheLoveConsultants.com, tells me. "The sad state of reality television has created a lowbrow vehicle for untainted train wreck personalities to display their private lives. Getting pregnant to be famous is like eating as many cockroaches as possible in a one minute period."

(Didn't they do that on 'Survivor'?)

Casting any reality show right is essential to whether it is a hit or not. Networks spend top dollar auditioning throughout the country to make sure they get the right mix. However, what makes 'Teen Mom' and '16 and Pregnant' both so difficult to cast is that, thankfully, the "talent pool" of potential stars that are both pregnant and teenagers is relatively small.

Mommy expert Beth Feldman, creator of RoleMommy.com, says it would be "horrifying" if teens are actually getting pregnant for a TV show. "Becoming a parent is a responsibility that no one should take lightly, and for a teenager to think that a pregnancy could lead to instant fame and fortune is absurd. Parenting is a lifetime commitment and teens have there own lives ahead of them. Let them grow up before they take the responsibility of caring for another human being."

Rabbi Shmuely Boteach, a friend of the late Michael Jackson and author of 'Kosher Sex,' agrees. "This is out of control celebrity culture. Reality TV first began by exploiting people's problems, assuming they would do anything for fame. The idea of teenage girls getting pregnant to be on television shows that reality TV is going a step beyond exploiting problems. It is now creating the problems."

Anyone who has had a child knows that it is the most serious commitment a person can make. Rabbi Shmuley correctly points out that when young girls begin making this ultimate decision in order find fame, it "shows the moral rot in American society."

"These girls are ignoring the fact that this decision must followed by a lifetime of responsibility," he says.

Maybe my friend Jane Velez-Mitchell, host of the hit HLN show 'Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell,' says it best: "Children should not be having children, period."

i've actually started piling shit around the apartment in an attempt to get on Hoarders.

They don't pay as much as the others, try to put a little more effort into it...

I do think it's sad, I remember reading an article recently and it stated how much MTV pays their "stars" of this show and thought to myself, great now some teenagers are going to get knocked up just for the money and "fame".

this is one of the few times i would actually agree to sacrafice my body if only to advance the goals of career women and feminists everywhere....

thumb_Freesex.jpg

I have heard more than a few young women (under 21) say that they wanted to have their kids while young because if you have them any older than that you'll destroy your body.

I've heard this from one friend, my neighbors and overheard it at my gym. I guess a relationship with the dad doesn't matter. :shrug:

If that's true, that's really horrendously stupid as hell and sad. Not at all surprising, though.

My sister watches those "Teen Mom" and "16 and Pregnant" shows (matter of fact, she's watching one as I write this). Why, I don't know-I've caught a couple of them and I get a headache listening to such mind-numbingly ignorant, dumb people. Sorry if that sounds mean, but my God...:doh:.

I'm still longing for the days when "reality" shows of this kind disappear for good, simply because I hate that people are getting famous for pretty much anything nowadays. They get paid ridiculous amounts of money for acting like idiots and drinking and sleeping around-those are things anyone can do, there's no talent required for it.

Angela

I have heard more than a few young women (under 21) say that they wanted to have their kids while young because if you have them any older than that you'll destroy your body.

I've heard this from one friend, my neighbors and overheard it at my gym. I guess a relationship with the dad doesn't matter. :shrug:

That is sad. So called body image is more important than an education, relationship/marriage and waiting until a mature age. I had my son at age 27. It didn't destroy my body and I am still married to his dad.

There is a girl my mom works with. She's in high school, she's 17, and she's going to have a baby soon. Other girls who work there, also in the age group as this girl, were talking with her one day, all excited about the baby.

My mom found this strange, and she was talking to one of the teenage girls about it, wondering why this news was so exciting. The girl responded, "Well, she's wanted a baby for a long time" :huh:. And she said that totally straight-faced, no indication that that would be an odd thing to say, an odd thing to believe or want.

Angela

They keep repeating it over here.

LOL.

if thats true then thats crazy.

I cant remember the name of the girl who kept leaving her mum to be responsible for the baby, do we sniff anything with this one? Eh? EH?

but nothing is worse than MY SUPER SWEET 16!

SPOILT LITTLE FECKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Sadly I'm not even surprised. Is it really any more stupid or shallow than many of the other reasons teens get pregnant?

There is a girl my mom works with. She's in high school, she's 17, and she's going to have a baby soon. Other girls who work there, also in the age group as this girl, were talking with her one day, all excited about the baby.

My mom found this strange, and she was talking to one of the teenage girls about it, wondering why this news was so exciting. The girl responded, "Well, she's wanted a baby for a long time" :huh:. And she said that totally straight-faced, no indication that that would be an odd thing to say, an odd thing to believe or want.

Angela

I am probably slightly older than your mom and I would find it strange too. When I was seventeen. Having a baby was the last thing I would think about. Graduatiion and the senior prom were more important to me. Also what college classes do I want to take. I was a virgin at that age. Something I am proud of.

Dr. Drew and Adam Carolla taught me all I need to know about teen pregnancy.

My friend was talking to me about her ex boyfriend the other day. Apparently, he wanted them to have a baby so they could get on 16 and Pregnant.

..He was dead serious. :crack:

Back
Top Bottom